Relief In Labadee

sara mom

Don't know if this was "legal" or not but I did it anyway and will probably do it again next month. We were in Labadee last March and I took a large bag of coloring books and crayons and walked around the market area at the opposite end from where the cruise ship docked until I saw a woman that looked like she could use some cheering up. I asked her if she had children and she said she did. I asked her if I could give her something. She looked at me with her eyes opened as wide as they could be and then shook her head up and down. I opened the bag to show her what I had and I will never forget the look on her face when she saw all the coloring books and crayons. I asked her to pass them out to all the children she knew. She hugged me until I could barely breathe. Then she told me to take whatever I wanted from her stall. I told her I wouldn't do that but I did buy some things from her.

I haven't decided what I'll take this time. A nurse from our area who goes to Haiti frequently said the schools need chalk but I don't have any way to make sure it gets to the school so probably won't do that. She also said they can use the type of things we get in hotels - soaps, shampoo, etc.

I hope you find out what we can do. I know that RCCL would probably suggest monetary donations rather than tangible goods.

With an upcoming cruise stop at Labadee, is there anything on board the ship or on the peninsula where we can drop off school supplies or anything like that for the residents of Haiti?

:confused:

The International Critters on the 12/1 & 12/5 sailings of the Allure are taking onboard with them school supplies for the new school at Labadee.

We actually have 25 boxes of supplies being shipped this week from RI to pre cruise hotel in FLL and then to the ship on 12/5, also many of the Critters are bringing onboard more supplies.

We have arranged with RCCL the handover of the supplies when we arrive at Labadee on 12/7.

Don't know if this was "legal" or not but I did it anyway and will probably do it again next month. We were in Labadee last March and I took a large bag of coloring books and crayons and walked around the market area at the opposite end from where the cruise ship docked until I saw a woman that looked like she could use some cheering up. I asked her if she had children and she said she did. I asked her if I could give her something. She looked at me with her eyes opened as wide as they could be and then shook her head up and down. I opened the bag to show her what I had and I will never forget the look on her face when she saw all the coloring books and crayons. I asked her to pass them out to all the children she knew. She hugged me until I could barely breathe. Then she told me to take whatever I wanted from her stall. I told her I wouldn't do that but I did buy some things from her.

I haven't decided what I'll take this time. A nurse from our area who goes to Haiti frequently said the schools need chalk but I don't have any way to make sure it gets to the school so probably won't do that. She also said they can use the type of things we get in hotels - soaps, shampoo, etc.

I hope you find out what we can do. I know that RCCL would probably suggest monetary donations rather than tangible goods.

What a kind gesture! I will remember this and bring something also the next time I go to Labadee. It is nice that there are people like you in the world.

WOW great story, I may do the same on next trip, you made me feel good today. We have a video, stored on a site on a cruise with a Labadee visit just after the earth quake part of it show how RC was shipping supplies down there. I would post it, but I do not think CC will take video's and I think my wife had to use a few copyrighted pieces of music so I really do not know how to handle sharing the video.

We did a similar thing last year - it was DD's confirmation project. We had multiple LARGE (body bag size) duffles full of clothing/shoes. DD really felt good after delivery.

The International Critters on the 12/1 & 12/5 sailings of the Allure are taking onboard with them school supplies for the new school at Labadee.

We actually have 25 boxes of supplies being shipped this week from RI to pre cruise hotel in FLL and then to the ship on 12/5, also many of the Critters are bringing onboard more supplies.

We have arranged with RCCL the handover of the supplies when we arrive at Labadee on 12/7.

What a wonderful thing you did. We'll be there next month and I was wondering about what we could do. I think I'll get the kids involved and make some packages. Thanks for the idea.

Or you could just send money. Supposedly they have only received 15-20% of the money that was pledged after the earthquake. It was on 60 Minutes last night.

The trouble with donating money is that so much of it is eaten up in administrative fees and salaries. So little actually gets into the hands of those who need it.

I am crying at the thought that crayons and coloring books can make someone so happy. Such simple things. Wonderful story!!! Bravo!!!!!!

Do you just hand your packages over to the residents who are hanging out in the Port? How do you do this? I am going in April and would love to do something like crayons and coloring books or chalk or something. It would be a good lesson in humanity for my teenagers that I am taking on this trip. How do you find people that need help? I have never cruised to Hati so excuse my ignorance. Thanks

Or you could just send money. Supposedly they have only received 15-20% of the money that was pledged after the earthquake. It was on 60 Minutes last night.

The U.S. government has not paid its own pledge of 250 million dollars until it gets assurances that the money will be properly spent and that there are concrete plans for its use. Otherwise we as taxpayers will be just throwing money into a bottomless pit.

I am sure many other organizations and governments are doing the same.

It just points out that sometimes small gestures by individuals can have a more direct effect even on a limited scale.

IMHO I get a little peeved when large multi-million dollar corporations solicit money from their customers and then present it as their own money. I'd just as much have them make the total donation on their own. They can afford it as they will just write it off on their taxes. Just MHO. I'd rather make a donation to a charitable organization that has a low overhead.

This is link to current list of what the Critters (who are all CC members) have that we are taking onboard Allure -

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26884822&postcount=281

We figured this was the best way to help the children. This way we know the school supplies are actually going to the children of the new Labadee school.

We also dropped a big bag of things to one of the vendors. We walked around and talked to them to find out which on had kids (they all do), picked out a very nice lady, and handed the stuff off with out anyone noticing it. You do not want to cause a mini riot:(. We packed the following, medicine, candy, dolls (black baby dolls), boy toys, school supplies, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, tooth brushes, pads, tampons, condoms (six boxes, that was fun buying them at the drug store). Aids is a huge problem in Haiti. It was the highlight of my vacation:p

On my cruise of 10/21 we took supplies to Labadee. A friend spoke with some people on the Enchantment, and they told us to drop it at the Administration Bldg. (on the right as you go in) and that the port supervisor would make sure it got to the right people. We were stopped getting off of the ship, and asked what we had. Said it was school supplies, and they pulled us from the line and we had to go to the customs office. They went through everything, and let us be on our way.

Archived