Have your little kids ever asked to go home?

chaloop

I'm just wondering about the length of the cruises. I'd really like to do 7 days, and I'm hoping my 5 year old doesn't tell me that he wants to go home half way through! This happens once in a while when we are camping / rving. I'm just wondering if everybodies kids just love cruising or if they still make statements about going home?

My daughter has been cruising since she was 5 and has never wanted to go home before the cruise ends. In fact it is just the opposite. My kids always want to stay longer. I remember our first seven day cruise. They both cried the day we had to disembark!

If you're happy, your kids will be fine....don't worry! If they do happen to ask to go home, this is a great time to learn that you can't always get what you want! You're on the cruise until it ends!

I have to say, if I was camping, I'd want to go home, too.....camping is NOT fun! Cruising is NOT camping!

Mine did, but I think that part of the problem was that it WAS a short cruise, which attracted a crowd that was not compatible with families (think Animal House) ... though there were enough families to make the children's club VERY crowded because it was a long weekend cruise.

I think they would have been happier on a 7 day cruise. They would have been less likely to have a drunk trying to knock down their door at 1 am and even if there was a crowd in the club, they would have had time to get used to the counselors, etc.

We've still got 3 weeks to go, and my current 5 year old is already complaining that we'll have to get off after just a week. she's concerned about having time to swim and do putt putt, etc, AND do everything in the kids' program, too.

Young kids, no, but teenagers, yes. I was on a cruise in the Med, and I could not believe how nasty this large group of teens were, constantly complaining about the ship and wanting to be home with their friends. I was astonished that these kids found it impossible to enjoy a wonderful and special cruise they were on. Rather sad, actually.

Last year when my daughter was 2 she asked to go home after being in the room for about an hour the 1st day. I just distracted her and told her we weren't going home for a while and she was fine. She may have mentioned it again at bed time but you just have to be firm and explain that this is where your going to be for a while and that you're gonna have lots of fun. She didn't ask again after the 1st day. I guess she realized we weren't going anywhere anytime soon.

No worries! Kids usually adapt very well to new situations! Happy Cruising!:D

Every kid is different, but when my DS, 4, says, "I want to go home," it can mean something else. Depending on the situation, it can mean, "I'm tired," or, "I'm bored," or whatever. I would address the immediate problem, such as fatigue or hunger or change the activity. "Going home" might even mean taking a chill break in the cabin doing something like snuggling and reading a book. I am assuming DS will say, "I want to go home," at some point on our upcoming cruise.

I'm just wondering about the length of the cruises. I'd really like to do 7 days, and I'm hoping my 5 year old doesn't tell me that he wants to go home half way through! This happens once in a while when we are camping / rving. I'm just wondering if everybodies kids just love cruising or if they still make statements about going home?

Actually the problem is the exact opposite, they don't want to leave. On the ship they get to play all day, don't have to make their bed or clean their room. They get to eat what they want, and there is free ice cream.

No, wanting to go home is not going to be the problem.

Every kid is different, but when my DS, 4, says, "I want to go home," it can mean something else. Depending on the situation, it can mean, "I'm tired," or, "I'm bored," or whatever. I would address the immediate problem, such as fatigue or hunger or change the activity. "Going home" might even mean taking a chill break in the cabin doing something like snuggling and reading a book. I am assuming DS will say, "I want to go home," at some point on our upcoming cruise.

When my DD was young and we were sightseeing, when she said she wanted to go "home" it was the hotel or ship that she meant -- never home "home" :). It generally meant that she just needed to be in a quiet, climate controlled environment.

We did our first cruise in Feb 2009 with DS 8 and twin DD's 6 it was a 12 night southern caribbean - when we booked our Feb 2010 cruise which was only 7 night western caribbean they complained it wasn't long enough so Feb 2011 we've booked 14 nights p&o out of barbados.

My kids love it they are so excited, they love dressing up on the formal nights and the attention they get on the ship from all the staff means they never want to go home - they don't get magic tricks every evening at dinner in our house!

My kids will complain about wanting to hurry up and get to the ship when we are en route to the cruise. They may complain about being bored during an excursion (usually the tour/taxi ride to get to the activities). They definitely complain and cry when it's time to pack up to go home. But they don't ask to go home. DS was 4 when we went on our first cruise. He wasn't too sure about the whole "can't see any land" part of being onboard a ship. But even then he was excited about mini golf, the pools and the ice cream.

Archived