RCCL newbie needs Rhapsody info.

Hi I just booked my first cruise with RCCL but have cruised on other line. First I would like to know about dinner and shows. On the Rhapsody we have late dining . When are the shows before or after dinner. How many formal nights and when. What time can you embark? What about taking on soft drinks or wine for ANniversary? I would appreciate anything I need to know that is different on RCCL from Carnival. Can you order more than one entree? What drinks are free in dining room and on deck all day?
Thanks for all you help.

Elation 4/04
Celebration 5/03
Legend 4/03
Victory 4/02
Sensation 7/96
Holiday 7/94
Celebration 6/93

I'll try to answer some of your ?'s The shows for late seating are usually before dinner! You may have as many entree's as you like unless they run out!!! Tea,coffee,milk & some juices are free at dinner. On deck they usually have tea, coffee & lemonade. I have not taking any soft drinks on board but I've seen plently of people do it! Wine & such if caught are taking away until the end of trip, but most of the time they look the other way on that also!
On carnival I have heard that they have pizza, ice cream 24hrs a day - Not on RCCL. Only certain time of the day. Pizza, Hamburgers are available more than ice cream.

Have a great time, Rhapsody is my favorite ship! I'll sail her again in October,2004.

Thanks. Do they have lobster? My daugher sailed on Splendour and they did not offer lobster any night.

Elation 4/04
Celebration 5/03
Legend 4/03
Victory 4/02
Sensation 7/96
Holiday 7/94
Celebration 6/93

Any cruise 7 nights or longer will have lobster on the second formal night. I had lobster on the Splendour but it was a 10 night cruise.

Jim

Nordic Prince 8/88
Viking Serenade 3/93
Enchantment 3/01
Rhapsody 9/02
Splendour 4/03
Rhapsody, 9/03
Brilliance, 4/04

Until Our Caribbean Princess Cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;06;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Until Hawaii on Inifinity
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;6;23;59;00&timezone=GMT-1100[/img]

Until Vision/Mexican Riviera
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I have always gotten to Galveston by 11-1130 and been on the ship by 1230 at the latest. It depends on how fast the customs processing goes to get everyone off.

The first formal night is on the first Sea day, usually Monday night. The second one will be Grand Cayman night usually, unless they changed it again.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;30;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]
Voyager of the Seas!

Voyager 10/04
Rhapsody 10/02 03/02 1/02 11/01
Elation 10/99
Grandeur 09/97

Blyle,

We cruised on Rhapsody 2 months ago.
We took 2 12-packs of soft drinks on with us. You're allowed. Whatever we had left over we gave to our cabin steward and he was more than greatful.

I'm told you can take a bottle of wine/champagne on if it's for a special occasion like an anniversary.. however you will be charged a "corking" fee to have it opened and served with your dinner.

There are two formal nights... one is the Captain's Gala night and the other is the lobster night. You can have as many entrees - including lobster tails -- as you want. A couple of nights none of the entrees thrilled me so instead I had 3 appetizers!

The night you are in Key West it is "casual" dining night... meaning you can go anytime to the dining room for dinner, rather than your set time. There is also a big deck BBQ that night that starts around 10pm.

We stayed at a B&B nearby the port, so we walked over with our luggage about 10:30. We were processed and waiting to get on by 11. We were allowed to board after a large wedding party by 11:30. Although the cabins are still being prepped, we always go check in with the cabin steward and ask permission to leave our stuff in a closet. So far, we've always been told yes.

Any other questions, just ask! There are lots of Rhapsody veterans on the boards. It's so far been my favorite ship and crew.

Ann

'02 Enchantment of the Seas
'03 Rhapsody of the Seas
'04 Rhapsody of the Seas
'05 Navigator of the Seas

Thanks so much for all the great info. It really helps. WE are counting the days since we have never booked this close to sailing before. Our agency must have bought up a group of last minute cabins because I can't find anyone who can even get close to their price. It was a one day sale. I am so glad to finally be on RCCL.

ONe more question. we will be close to the bow on deck 3. How much movement is there on the Rhapsody. SOmetimes the gulf is pretty rocky. Does Rhapsody handle rough seas?

Elation 4/04
Celebration 5/03
Legend 4/03
Victory 4/02
Sensation 7/96
Holiday 7/94
Celebration 6/93

Another newbie with questions here.
Does the corkage fee apply if your opening wine to drink in your room that I bring? Also is the chocolate covered strawberries worth the expense? Third question, what about bon voyage decorations for the stateroom, are they worth it??? Okay...just one more, LOL. We have a aft deck 7, (not corner). Exactly how many square feet is this balcony & how many chairs & lounge chairs??? Many thanks to you experienced Rhapsody cruisers!!!

Have been to Grand Cayman twice and would highly suggest Sting Ray city 1/2 . if you don't want to book on the ship the tours operators will be waiting as you get off the tenders and the price is much less. We have vacationed in Key west and have taken the conch tour train to see the points of interest and then walked Duval street and shopped. Key West aloe is there and have some great products. There is also a sandal store that makes custom made leather sandals. Everyone from the cruise ships were there so they must talk about it on the ship. I suggest Mel Fishers museum that you can walk to and Hemingway house is you get there in time. Of course you will need to go to SLoppy Joe's for a drink. In Cozumel we have done lots of different tours but the beach is the thing for us. We love to snorkel and you can do it right off the beach in many places. Hope this helps. Good luck deciding.

Rhapsody 7/04
Elation 4/04
Celebration 5/03
Legend 4/03
Victory 4/02
Sensation 7/96
Holiday 7/94
Celebration 6/93

It is okay to bring soft drinks on board.
For you people driving down, be sure to check out [url="http://www.ezcruiseparking.com"]www.ezcruiseparking.com[/url] as they have parking for $35 for the week compared to the Port and Dolphin at $60 each. We used them a couple of weeks ago and are great.

Bill D

RCCL Song of Norway 7/79?
CCL ? 12/84
RCCL Viking Serenade 7/01
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/01
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 5/02
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 7/02
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 12/02
Princess Grand Princess 6/03
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 12/03
RCCL Vision of the Seas 3/04
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas 5/30/04

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;12;20;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Empress of the Seas 12/20/2004

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;3;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]  Celebrity Galaxy Panama Canal 3/21/2005

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2005;6;10;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]  Vision of the Seas Alaska 6/10/2005

Ann,

Hi I'm Doreen - me and my boyfriend are going to sail on the Rhapsody July 4. We're 22 and 27 -
How was your experience? Are there a lot of people our age?
How about the formal nights? I've read mixed comments about these in regards to the dress code! Some people really don't seem to respect the dress code - and even wear T-shirts and shorts to the formal nights. Is that true? How was it on your cruise? I'm asking because my boyfriend ordered a tux, and I, at least for the first formal night, will wear a formal long dress - hope we're not going to be over-dressed?!

Looking foward to some feedback - :)
Doreen

Hi Doreen:

Don't worry about your age. You are going to have a lot of fun and meet some great people. You all will not be over dressed for the first formal night. On the second formal night (Thursday), have your boyfriend wear a suit or some dark slacks and a dinner jacket (tie, of course). You girls always look fabulous in formal evening gowns, don't worry about the second formal, I'm sure you will look nice.

Yes, there are people who don't care about the dress code and it is these types of people who ruin nice traditions. It is so neat to get all dressed up, get your picture taken (just like high school prom), have some cocktails and then go to dinner. I read about one lady who said her husband is wearing his Texas Formal (pressed jeans, shirt, tux jacket, boots,etc...) I completely disagreed with her. Some people say that if Texas Formal was good enough for your wedding and/or church, then it should be good enough for the cruise. Another disagreement I had with these types of people. The Cruise Compass Daily Planner doesn't say anything about other styles of formal clothing for men. It says, suit or tux. If you don't have one or the other, then don't bother going to the main dining room on formal nights. This is the reason men can rent tuxedoes on board the ship.

Fausto

[quote name='blyle']Thanks so much for all the great info. It really helps. WE are counting the days since we have never booked this close to sailing before. Our agency must have bought up a group of last minute cabins because I can't find anyone who can even get close to their price. It was a one day sale. I am so glad to finally be on RCCL.

ONe more question. we will be close to the bow on deck 3. How much movement is there on the Rhapsody. SOmetimes the gulf is pretty rocky. Does Rhapsody handle rough seas?

Elation 4/04
Celebration 5/03
Legend 4/03
Victory 4/02
Sensation 7/96
Holiday 7/94
Celebration 6/93[/QUOTE]
Blyle,I was on the Rhaspody in May and the boat rocked contious, very rough, almost everyone was wearing a patch, or taking Daramine,count on the boat rocking, the worst night was when we left cozmel heading towards home,in the buffett rm had to hold on the rails to move around the roughest i seen. Hope yours wont be as bad.

hi. my name is jeri. i met a waiter on the rhapsody last september, his name is onur oz. we kept in touch via mobile phone until he had to return to turkey in november. if you don't mind, will you keep an eye out or maybe find out what ever happened to oz, that's what i called him. and if you run into him, or someone who can get in touch with him, will you tell him to contact... don't laugh... princess, that's what he called me the first night on the ship and from then on. my email is [email]jdrachal@msn.com[/email]. my friends and i are going again in september. could you let me know what you find by emailing me at my msn address. thank you.

Archived