Negotiate Upgrade?

roveer

OP - you'll have a great cruise regardless! The bottom line is....you made an offer, they declined. You have a great suite but not sure I understand why you say you need to get your head in a good place since it shouldn't be in a bad place to begin with??:confused: You always had the option of accepting the NCL offer but you chose not to; you countered and they chose not to accept your counter. Am I missing something?

Maybe someone has different experiences but arent most upsells come directly from TA's? I have not heard of the cruise line cold calling for upsells. Usuallly the TA does this and I assume they make money too.

So if you have a TA working for you, have them make a note 3 days prior to the cruise to check on the cabin. If it still is available, they could offer an upsell but maybe not at the price you ask but who knows. Have your TA work for you in this situation.

Good luck and keep us posted. If it is available it probably will be offered as an upsell but who knows the price. If you have a good and aggressive TA, maybe you can score it ;)

BTW, has anyone been offered an upsell by the cruise line by phone prior to the cruise? I know someone was offered while getting on board but I thought most upsells were done by travel agents prior sailing. Am I wrong on this?

OP - you'll have a great cruise regardless! The bottom line is....you made an offer, they declined. You have a great suite but not sure I understand why you say you need to get your head in a good place since it shouldn't be in a bad place to begin with??:confused: You always had the option of accepting the NCL offer but you chose not to; you countered and they chose not to accept your counter. Am I missing something?

Yup, I just love the haggle and I hate it when it doesn't work out. Just my personality. Now I'm going to go help the family pack. And work on my head :eek:

Maybe someone has different experiences but arent most upsells come directly from TA's? I have not heard of the cruise line cold calling for upsells. Usuallly the TA does this and I assume they make money too.

So if you have a TA working for you, have them make a note 3 days prior to the cruise to check on the cabin. If it still is available, they could offer an upsell but maybe not at the price you ask but who knows. Have your TA work for you in this situation.

Good luck and keep us posted. If it is available it probably will be offered as an upsell but who knows the price. If you have a good and aggressive TA, maybe you can score it ;)

BTW, has anyone been offered an upsell by the cruise line by phone prior to the cruise? I know someone was offered while getting on board but I thought most upsells were done by travel agents prior sailing. Am I wrong on this?

If you booked directly with NCL, NCL will call you for the upsell. (if any are available and you make their list of people they are going to call) If you booked through a TA, they will call the TA. Most upsells occur within the month before embarkation. They generally do not offer upsells at the port, by that point the ship is almost always full and they typically have a sign out indicating that no upgrades are available at the port.

That's basically what I did. I emailed my TA this morning and he went right on it. I'll probably have him call later in the week and see if it's still there, but I'm pretty well convinced that NCL has set their number on this suite and I'm not going up as much as I think they are not coming down. I also think that someone will jump on this room at their price to supersize their Thanksgiving vacation, and as far as I'm concerned, good for them (that's what I was trying to do). Better than the room going empty. I just can't swing it at their price point. That and my little quirk about having to get a great deal (in my mind). You know, the haggle part.

Just chiming in....I booked a mini-suite for our family of 3 on a June 2011 cruise almost a year in advance. Got a call no more than 2 weeks later with an upsell to a 1 Bedroom Courtyard Villa for a nice discount. Needless to say we jumped on it!

Now, we're more excited than ever! :D

Not sure I understand your post. Another CC user posted above that the same room with the same number of people is pricing for 3k less than they are asking currently for a December sailing. Why are they losing money? I might agree if I had not come across this information. If they are in fact trying to protect their price in the industry by letting rooms go unfilled (or host parties), generating no revenue for that space. Than I think they should take a look at the economy.

I guess I need to go back and read what you are saying more closely cause you really are not making much sense.

Prices are determined by demand. The price of a cabin in Dec and the price in May can be very different. I might add, even in Dec prices fluctuate all over the place. The first week of Dec is one of the cheapest in the year and Christmas week probably the highest.

Of course unsold cabins (not rooms I might add) do not generate revenue, but there are some things you do not bargain on and this is one of them. WOuld you call the airline and ask to fly for $99 if the going price was $300.00? Maybe you would, they would not give you a seat..

Nita

After careful consideration. I splurged. The kids are gonna love it. Momma too. Didn't get my deal, but this thread helped me understand and make my decision. Thanks to everyone who posted. I still think NCL should consider offers, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that if I want to sail in this room I'm just gonna have to pay their price. It still represented a 37% discount from what it was pricing at a few days ago. I can live with that. The kicker for me was the posts saying they have seen the room empty. Then I thought that while it makes sense to take my offer on the GV, I would also be leaving the A3 that then has to be sold or upgraded. From NCL's perspective it creates another problem.

upgrade.jpg

... I would also be leaving the A3 that then has to be sold or upgraded. From NCL's perspective it creates another problem.

Don't give that poor, lonely A3 another thought. I garauntee someone is waiting for it to open up too.

I'm waiting for someone to do what you did and upgrade out of their AC :D

What a fabulous time your family will have. I am just keeping my fingers crossed in hopes to get two balcony cabins for my family, but don't really think I will get called. Seems like there is no rhyme or reason to the upsells. However, we will still have a great time in our modest inside cabins. Afterall, we will be cruising, YEA!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Roveer, Good for you. I am glad that you took the offer. I think you always would have thought about it if you had not. You will get so many extra perks in the GV. I am glad it was still there and no one else took the upsell or like in our case booked it outright. Also don't forget you will get limo service to the ship or from the ship. ( to airport, hotel etc) Have a great trip..Now I wanna upsell to the GV, oops gotta book a trip first.

Roveer, Good for you. I am glad that you took the offer. I think you always would have thought about it if you had not. You will get so many extra perks in the GV. I am glad it was still there and no one else took the upsell or like in our case booked it outright. Also don't forget you will get limo service to the ship or from the ship. ( to airport, hotel etc) Have a great trip..Now I wanna upsell to the GV, oops gotta book a trip first.

OK, this one got my attention. Limo service? We were planning on driving in and parking at the terminal. Just took a look on nclsuitesandvillas and they did say free limo to and from the airport. Don't suppose they would just convert that into free parking. We are not flying in for this cruise.

For that matter is there a look place for information on what Percs come with the GV? I think I need to educate myself in the last few days. [edit] I found this on nclsuitesandvillas

suiteperks.jpg

Holey Cr$# that countdown timer is getting close to 0. I'm really starting to feel the pressure now...

After careful consideration. I splurged. The kids are gonna love it. Momma too. Didn't get my deal, but this thread helped me understand and make my decision. Thanks to everyone who posted. I still think NCL should consider offers, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that if I want to sail in this room I'm just gonna have to pay their price. It still represented a 37% discount from what it was pricing at a few days ago. I can live with that. The kicker for me was the posts saying they have seen the room empty. Then I thought that while it makes sense to take my offer on the GV, I would also be leaving the A3 that then has to be sold or upgraded. From NCL's perspective it creates another problem.

upgrade.jpg

Congratulations!!! I think you made the right decision. Have an awsome cruise. :)

The first week in Dec. 2009 we were booked on the Jewel to West. Carib. We booked directly through NCL (had the best deal). 48 hours at 11 am before departure the phone rings and ID shows unknown. I was going to screen it because it's usually some salesperson that I really didn't want to talk to. My DW yells to answer the phone and I give in; Thank God!!!

" Hi , this is ??? with NCL, is this Mr. ?. I'd like to know if you'd be interested in an upgrade?

"Yes" comes the cautious response.

"Well I show that you're in a Mini Suite(paid a little less than $1000pp), we have an owners suite on deck 9", and she goes into all the details, butler, special breakfast and lunch spot...

"Normally this cabin would cost about about $3500pp but we would like to offer it to you for..." I was ready to hear that it would be at least another $1000pp and already expected it to be out of reach. Now with respect to NCL I won't name the exact price but I will say it was significantly less than I thought, significantly.

"Do you any questions?", she asked.

"Well we already have our luggage tags. What do we do?

She laughed " That won't be a problem, so is that a yes?" Now my DW had been standing there listening in and if she had shaken her head any more violently she would have spent the cruise ina neck brace. I then realized that my son, his wife and grandson would still be on deck 11 in an inside across from our old cabin. I asked if the was anything available near us on deck 9.

"I'm sorry there are no inside cabins available, but I do have a balcony nearby for an extra $100."

Well that of course sealed the deal. We had a fantastic week and though I wish I could say that now that we've tasted the "suite" and we will never go back, we still prefer to sail a cheaper and more often; but I expect the upsell fairy to call again someday.

The first week in Dec. 2009 we were booked on the Jewel to West. Carib. We booked directly through NCL (had the best deal). 48 hours at 11 am before departure the phone rings and ID shows unknown. I was going to screen it because it's usually some salesperson that I really didn't want to talk to. My DW yells to answer the phone and I give in; Thank God!!!

" Hi , this is ??? with NCL, is this Mr. ?. I'd like to know if you'd be interested in an upgrade?

"Yes" comes the cautious response.

"Well I show that you're in a Mini Suite(paid a little less than $1000pp), we have an owners suite on deck 9", and she goes into all the details, butler, special breakfast and lunch spot...

"Normally this cabin would cost about about $3500pp but we would like to offer it to you for..." I was ready to hear that it would be at least another $1000pp and already expected it to be out of reach. Now with respect to NCL I won't name the exact price but I will say it was significantly less than I thought, significantly.

"Do you any questions?", she asked.

"Well we already have our luggage tags. What do we do?

She laughed " That won't be a problem, so is that a yes?" Now my DW had been standing there listening in and if she had shaken her head any more violently she would have spent the cruise ina neck brace. I then realized that my son, his wife and grandson would still be on deck 11 in an inside across from our old cabin. I asked if the was anything available near us on deck 9.

"I'm sorry there are no inside cabins available, but I do have a balcony nearby for an extra $100."

Well that of course sealed the deal. We had a fantastic week and though I wish I could say that now that we've tasted the "suite" and we will never go back, we still prefer to sail a cheaper and more often; but I expect the upsell fairy to call again someday.

That is great! Just curious why won't you say what the upgrade price was?

That is great! Just curious why won't you say what the upgrade price was?

My wife and I own a housekeeping/property maintenance buisiness for high end rental properties in southwest Florida. There are no two houses that have the same rate for a clean. There are all sorts of variables that affect a cleaning charge. I'm sure the same is true for the price NCL offers for upgrades. I guess I feel that if I said I paid, for example, $100 and you knew this and get the same basic offer for $125. It's a terrific deal for you but it's not $100. So why not be a little vague and let people feel like they get a great deal from NCL rather than have this underlying thought, "Well thats not Cruisemainiac paid".

A good deal is subjective and as long as you feel like you got one, then you did.

upgrade.jpg

Enjoy your trip. The Jewel and her crew are wonderful

upgrade.jpg

Congrads on the upsell. We spent a week on the Jewel in 14000 and had a blast.

Enjoy

Archived