Seward tour

phinn

Cruising northbound on the Millennium June 3rd. Our cruise ends in Seward and we plan to take the train to Anchorage. The train does not leave till 6pm. We want something to do between the time we disembark and when the train leaves. I found a tour "IdidaRide Sled Dog Real Alaska Tour". It is a 6 hour tour beginning at the train station at 11:05am and ending there at 5:15pm. This would be perfect for us. Has anyone done this tour? Is it strenuous? Appreciate any feedback or pics if you have them. I am really starting to get excited about this once in a lifetime trip. Thanks!

I don't find this combo tour a good value. Another factor, is the time tied up, where it may not be of the most interest?

You can easily go on your own as well. In the past, continuous shuttle bus service was available from the major areas.

A top touring choice is boating Kenai Fjords. This is a jackpot of varied wildlife and close up extended glacier viewing. FAR superior to anything seen from your cruiseship.

This is exactly why I asked here... having cruised the caribbean as much as I have, I am going to be a fish out of water in Alaska, but so excited to get there and I knew there are those of you who know this area best. Do you know if I can leave my bags at the train station as I go on that one last tour? I will check out the Fjords for sure. Just making sure I get as much of Alaska as I can. Thanks

This is exactly why I asked here... having cruised the caribbean as much as I have, I am going to be a fish out of water in Alaska, but so excited to get there and I knew there are those of you who know this area best. Do you know if I can leave my bags at the train station as I go on that one last tour? I will check out the Fjords for sure. Just making sure I get as much of Alaska as I can. Thanks

The train depot opens about 9am, where you can check your bags. You will have NO access to them until Anchorage however. In the past, they did allow storage of "day packs" etc on a shelf near their desks. I don't know if that is still an option?? Also most tours will also store your bags, if not leaving the same day by train. Those taking an early Kenai Fjords boat trip- would just store their bags with the vendor. As only a suggestion- the early trips, 8am Kenai Fjords, will have significantly less people compared to the 11:30am run, which usually is near/full on cruise ship days.

We took the Kenai Fjords Tour and I have to second that recommendation. It was fantastic. Not only do you see lots of glaciers and wildlife (puffins, eagles, whales (sometimes), seals, seal lions), but you get close enough to hear the glaciers -- and they are not quiet. The tour company we used provided a truck to put your luggage in, and they locked it up while the boat was out. You can check with the tour company about that.

Archived