Currency in the Caribbean/Roll Call

Lancashire Rosebud

Hi,

Complete Cruising Newbie. Two questions in one:

1. What is (or are) the sensible currency(ies) to take on a Caribbean Cruise. Stopping at: Ponta Delgada; Antigua; St Lucia; Barbados; Grenada; Curacao; Transit Panama Canal; Limon (Costa Rica); Aruba; Margarita Island (Venezuela); Dominica; St Kitts; St Maarten; Tortola; Madeira?
  2. Where do I find a cruise Roll Call?

Hi,

Complete Cruising Newbie. Two questions in one:

1. What is (or are) the sensible currency(ies) to take on a Caribbean Cruise. Stopping at: Ponta Delgada; Antigua; St Lucia; Barbados; Grenada; Curacao; Transit Panama Canal; Limon (Costa Rica); Aruba; Margarita Island (Venezuela); Dominica; St Kitts; St Maarten; Tortola; Madeira?
  2. Where do I find a cruise Roll Call?

Hi,

Ponta Delgada & Madeira its the euro.

On Isla Margarita there's not too many places in Porlamar (if you take a trip there) which accept USD, but touristy places - beaches, taxis at the port etc no problem.

At all the rest US dollars are fine, but take plenty of low denomination notes to avoid the risk of being given change in local currencies.

For your Roll-call, go to the bottom of this page to where it says "Forum Jump (ask a cruise question)", click on the arrow for a drop down menu, scroll to the heading "ROLL CALLS - Members only" and click on your cruiseline ("P&O Roll Call UK & Australia?). This brings up a list of ships, click on your ship & look for your date.

Bear in mind that this is a mainly-American website, so the roll-cal foryour shipl may be quite limited

John Bull

Let me add my welcome too, Lancashire Rosebud. As another non-US traveller, may I add some advice for those of us who don't use that currency daily?

Before you spend a lot of £ converting to $, do a bit of research with your local bank. How much above the actual rate (which you can get from XE.com) does your bank charge to get US cash? How does that compare with the conversion rate on your bank's credit card? Is the rate different for charges in € than for $?

In general, you can expect to lose 3% on most international transactions. Many people find a credit card to be the most economical way of dealing with multiple currencies, like you'll find on this trip.

Although I don't live in the United States, I have a US$ denominated credit card linked to a US$ bank account. My bank charges me a preferential exchange rate to put money into that account. If you plan on using US$ frequently, this is something you might care to look into.

Since you're aboard P&O, where the ship's currency will be £, you may not need many $'s. Pity to pay 3% to convert to $, then bring home cash and have to pay 3% again to get £.

If you pre-book excursions privately (or through P&O) you will need very few actual dollars. I often use $ cash for taxis, but many also accept credit cards. In Grenada, I'd use US cash for spices at the street market, but there aren't many other places on your itinerary when I'd use much (or any) cash. I've been to all your Caribbean stops except Margarita Island.

PS: in general, it's a bad idea to wait and convert money on the ship. Never cruised with P&O. However, every other line I have cruised charged a very high premium for the service: as much as 10%.

Archived