Wonder reviews

rrfsteve

I was browsing the Disney Wonder reviews on the site and I was amazed by the amount of negativity. Now, I am aware that over 90% of people that have a good time dont compliment and that over 90% of people that have had a poor time do complain, but it was the things they were complaining about that amazed me.

* The ship is small (OK, it isn't the biggest - but it most certainly isn't small)

* The theatre slope isn't steep enough (what??? It isn't a sports stadium! What theatres have they been going to)

* The kids clubs are "dark holes" (Perhaps they missed the themeing)

* THe food was bland (?!)

* Complaints about Nassau (You do wonder if they left the main street!)

* Perhaps my favourite was "There are too many kids".

I could go on

Basicaly my point is why the negativity? It is all fairly recent - the past year or so, so have the DCL standards dropped? Or is their another reason?

I was thinking that it could be that the 'wow' factor has gone. In the days of YouTube, we all have seen the shows before we sail, we know what happens to save the Pirate Party. Could it be that everything is predictable? I also know that DCL has lost a lot of it's good core staff to other lines because of the menotiny (sp) of their routes (Yes, Castaway Cay, and Nassau twice a week are good at first, but it gets old!)- is this a factor? Or could it be that DCL keeps telling everybody how wonderful they are, so people have far too high expectations when they sail?

What I should say is that the majority of customers still rate their experience as 'excellent', and if you are booked do go with an open mind and you will have a magical time.

I was browsing the Disney Wonder reviews on the site and I was amazed by the amount of negativity. Now, I am aware that over 90% of people that have a good time dont compliment and that over 90% of people that have had a poor time do complain, but it was the things they were complaining about that amazed me.

* The ship is small (OK, it isn't the biggest - but it most certainly isn't small)

* The theatre slope isn't steep enough (what??? It isn't a sports stadium! What theatres have they been going to)

* The kids clubs are "dark holes" (Perhaps they missed the themeing)

* THe food was bland (?!)

* Complaints about Nassau (You do wonder if they left the main street!)

* Perhaps my favourite was "There are too many kids".

I could go on

Basicaly my point is why the negativity? It is all fairly recent - the past year or so, so have the DCL standards dropped? Or is their another reason?

I was thinking that it could be that the 'wow' factor has gone. In the days of YouTube, we all have seen the shows before we sail, we know what happens to save the Pirate Party. Could it be that everything is predictable? I also know that DCL has lost a lot of it's good core staff to other lines because of the menotiny (sp) of their routes (Yes, Castaway Cay, and Nassau twice a week are good at first, but it gets old!)- is this a factor? Or could it be that DCL keeps telling everybody how wonderful they are, so people have far too high expectations when they sail?

What I should say is that the majority of customers still rate their experience as 'excellent', and if you are booked do go with an open mind and you will have a magical time.

I have been on 3 Disney cruises and I have to disagree with most of the above.

1. The ship is smaller than alot of newer ships but by no means small. My first cruiise was on the Carnaval Jubilee. Now that was small.

2. The theaters seemed fine to me. Both the stage and movie theaters.

3. Our daughter is in a wheelchair and went to the kids clubs. We thought they were well lit and beautiful. She loved her time there. Even when they had the kids doing something athletic on the sports deck, there was always a councelor spending time with her.

4. The food was not bland. Actually it was just the opposite for my taste sometimes.

5. I have to agree about Nassau. We were not able to do any excursions because of the wheelchair so we were stuck walking around by the dock. It was nasty.

6. Too many kids?? IT'S A DISNEY CRUISE!! Not one for the newley wed or nearly dead!! If you stay by the adult pool, there were no kids. The clubs had family shows till I think it was 9:00 or 10:00 PM, then it was adults only.

We are planning on doing Disney's Alaska cruise in 2013. And now with 2 new ships being built, I see many more Disney cruises in our future. Of course, being a DVC member helps. Oh yeah...while these negative people are at it, try finding other cruise lines that allow 3 or 4 people in a wheelchair accessible cabin with a balcony like Disney does.

I think that some people think just because it's Disney and they are spending the kind of money that they are spending, that all their expectations should be met. No matter how unreasonable they might be. You see that in the parks too. (13 years in a row). So that's my two cents.

We've been on Wonder twice and Magic twice, and I really disagree with most of the negative comments you mention.

Wonder and Magic are both 964 feet long and 106 feet wide. They were built to those measurements, referred to as "Panamax", because that was the maximum size that could fit through the Panama Canal, which gave DCL the ability to serve both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, which they have taken full advantage of. When the ships are in the locks, there is only 18" between the ship's hull and the four sides of the lock. They are by no means "small". By contrast, Many of Carnival's ships are about 10 feet shorter, and several are under 900 feet.

The two new ships are each 1,115 feet long and 125 feet wide. Once renovations of the Panama Canal are completed, the new ships will be capable of transiting the canal.

The theater already occupies two decks; in order for the floor to be any steeper, it would have to be three or more decks, thus reducing space available for cabins, shops, etc. We usually sit somewhere around the half-way point back from the stage, and the lines of sight are very good.

We've always found the food to be excellent; I can't think of a single meal that was "bland" or worse.

As for Nassau, it's really a case of "different strokes for different folks". Personally, I can take it or leave it; depends on my mood that day.

Yes, it would be good if DCL could expand their ports of call to include some new destinations, but for a 3 or 4 night cruise the options are limited, given the distance they can cover in that time, the capacity of other ports, etc.

And "too many kids" ??? :confused: News flash, folks - - it's DISNEY !!! Regardless, we've always noticed that the kids are kept busy with so many activities, that you hardly notice them. And to me, there's nothing quite so heartwarming as seeing the smiles and hearing the squeals of delight when the little ones come face to face with their favorite characters.

I was booked on the Splendor for Thanksgiving week. As you know, that has been canceled. Instead of using our 25% on a jacked up priced cruise with them again, I found The Disney Wonder to be much lower in price and my 8 year old son would LOVE to go on a Disney cruise. I'm so excited to see the Mexican Riviera on a Disney cruise

My wife and I went on the Wonder in May without the kids. The only complaint I had was that it was very dificult to use the small ironing boards they have in the laundry room. That did not ruin my trip. I watched all the videos on youtube and it still did not take away from the awe factor when you get on the ship. People are going to complain because they have nothing better to do. It is today's society. Sad, but true.

I will be getting on the Wonder again tomorrow morning. This time with my wife and kids. It's been only 6 months since our last trip on the Wonder and I am just as excited as I was 6 months ago. The experience is what you make of it. I plan to make it great.

My wife and I went on the Wonder in May without the kids. The only complaint I had was that it was very dificult to use the small ironing boards they have in the laundry room. That did not ruin my trip. I watched all the videos on youtube and it still did not take away from the awe factor when you get on the ship. People are going to complain because they have nothing better to do. It is today's society. Sad, but true.

I will be getting on the Wonder again tomorrow morning. This time with my wife and kids. It's been only 6 months since our last trip on the Wonder and I am just as excited as I was 6 months ago. The experience is what you make of it. I plan to make it great.

I will be watching the ship on the Port Canaveral web cam. Wave to the camera. :D

I hadn't noticed the negativity until you pointed it out. Perhaps I was dismissing the complaints as meaningless.

I do think you raise some valid points regarding expectations, though. When people pay more than some competing lines, they expect a lot more. So even when it's better, if it's not a lot better, they don't notice a difference. I also think DCL is a victim of their own marketing and expectations aren't always fulfilled. For example, I wasn't all that impressed with Animator's Palet as I had seen it on the DVD they send, on the Travel Chanel, etc. Perhaps if it was novel and not known, it would have been more exciting.

Archived