Your thoughts on what will happen to Pacific Sun

Drelix

What do you guys thing will happen after the Pacific Sun after its finished with its service here?

Because as i am going on it i think this will be my last time on this ship because i am sailing on Pacific Pearl 2012.

Does anyone know how long her contract is with P and O or Carnival Australia?

Hi Drelix,

If and when she leaves Australia, she will likely be sold for further trading. Her former sisters from the Carnival fleet remain in service and there is no reason to think that she wont.

Pacific Sun is owned by Carnival PLC and managed by P&O Australia Limited. Her last Port State Control inspection was undertaken in Newcastle and is dated 28/10/2010. She is registered in Malta and is due for her next survey by Lloyds as at 01/06/2011 at which stage she should be drydocked.

Hope this helps - and no I don't work for P&O - all freely available information!

Thankyou for that Shiprobbo.

So she still properly have a few years left in here over here I just would miss here when she leaves as that is the first cruise ship i have ever been on and it would be a sad day to see here leave.

I just thought that P and O where neglecting her a bit as she is not getting much attention like no big screen tv and what else.

Does that site you got that from say what she is getting done in dry dock?

Hi Drelix,

Unfortunately there are no details as to what will be done during drydock - the site is the Equasis website, lots of technical data there, it is free but you have to have a password log-in.

I guess with the high traffic volumes, the soft furnishings, carpet etc can look tired quickly, I'm certain a good drydocking will have her spruced up! My thoughts would be that a big screen would be unlikely on Pacific Sun, it would overwhelm the small midships lido!

Like you I have an affection of Pacific Sun, having cruised on her three times.

As a point of interest, the one time Spirit of London (later Sun Princess), which cruised here as Southern Cross for CTC, has been sold for scrap, so the first generation of purpose built cruise ships are starting to go the the breakers, albeit at nearly 40 years old. Atlantic Star (once Pacific Sky) is also laid up with strong speculation that her sailing days are done. While she is not that old (1985), she is a steam turbine ship and the costs of maintaining this type of machinery is not cheap, also there are no longer a surplus of steam qualified engineers that can work on the ship. Expectations are that a sale for scrap is not that far away.

Cheers,

I was going to post something about what inspections were due at a planned dry dock schedule once, but on reading the site properly, the information was under copyright, so I didn't.

Drelix, I asked P&O on their website a while back if the Pacific Dawn was going to get a big screen and they replied "Not at this stage", so the Pacific Sun is not the only ship not to have one.

I was going to post something about what inspections were due at a planned dry dock schedule once, but on reading the site properly, the information was under copyright, so I didn't.

Drelix, I asked P&O on their website a while back if the Pacific Dawn was going to get a big screen and they replied "Not at this stage", so the Pacific Sun is not the only ship not to have one.

but you can post the link to that site and that is not copy right

I think that is the most likely. The Pacific Sky and the Pacific Star ended up with Pullmantur.

And they both got registered in Malta right before they were sent off to Pullmantur, just like Pacific Sun recently changed registrations from London to Malta.;)

And they both got registered in Malta right before they were sent off to Pullmantur, just like Pacific Sun recently changed registrations from London to Malta.;)

Makes sense and the Pacific Dream(Celebrity Horizon) is being moved to Croisieres de France as L'Horizon and the Bleu de France is being sold to Saga but this isnt taken effect until 2012

Archived