The good stuff "Tequila"

TheRejector

Wow great article! Thanks for an education and a starting point, I was a little afraid that if I sampled too much I would end up bringing back something I didn't really like but seemed like a good idea at the time. Now at least I can start by working my way down your list and branch out from there. Couldn't help but notice alot of the tequilias mentioned before are on you list. Thanks to all for my agave induced haze.:)

Glad you found it helpful! It's a challenge to keep that list up cause the next day, I don't always remember the nuances of the tequilas I've tasted. Not sure why that is. :confused: :rolleyes: :D

Ahh, the many tequila tastings. I remember them well, just don't remember much after all the tastings.:D

It was on our second trip to Cozumel in 2003 when we learned how those tiny tastings of the libation can jump up and bite you after the fact. We had made our way down the shopping strip imbibing the tastings as we headed down to our favorite Cozumel watering hole, Pancho's Backyard, inside Los Cinco Soles.

We entered Pancho's with a few free margarita coupons in hand which we happily turned in for the free small drinks. Feeling quite warm inside and still thirsty, we orded one (or probably it was 2, we can't remember) grande margaritas after that before grabbing a taxi to take us back to the ship.

We remember we had to pass through the duty free shop at the port to get to the ship. Don't remember much after that until we sobered up in our cabin and realized we were new owners of 3 Mexican blankets which we did not remember purchasing and had no earthly reason to buy.

DH then vaguely remembered turning in some alcohol bottles when we boarded the ship.

We had to wait until the last night when our liquor purchases were delivered to our cabin to find out how many bottles and what type of liquor we had purchased.

It was an amazing lesson.

DH and I now have a strict promise between us: No shopping in Cozumel after we leave Pancho's!:D

Dianne

Dianne, after a bit of a challenging day your post made me laugh! I wish i was going to Pancho's tomorrow for lunch

We loaned our Condo to some friends, who left a bottle of 1800 for a 'Thank you'. When they visited us later, DW served them a nice Margarita saying "This is with the Tequila you gave us.". My friend almost choked saying, NO, that's SIPPING Tequila, not M.T.":eek: It was the best Margarita I ever had! :D

Watch out for Margaritas in Mexico...I've seen 3 people who could drink me under the table get SICK (NOT drunk) on them in Mexico on the border! :mad::mad::

That's why DW and I stick to beer there, and only enjoy Margaritas in friends homes.

We loaned our Condo to some friends, who left a bottle of 1800 for a 'Thank you'. When they visited us later, DW served them a nice Margarita saying "This is with the Tequila you gave us.". My friend almost choked saying, NO, that's SIPPING Tequila, not M.T.":eek: It was the best Margarita I ever had! :D

Watch out for Margaritas in Mexico...I've seen 3 people who could drink me under the table get SICK (NOT drunk) on them in Mexico on the border! :mad::mad::

That's why DW and I stick to beer there, and only enjoy Margaritas in friends homes.

Bummer! I have found that the only Mararitias I like are the ones my DW has perfected so when we are out and about I rarely drink them. As I have gotten older I perfer my drinks over ice or straight up. That is the main reason I started this thread. Though I still love a Corona chilled to almost freezing..... yummy!

If you enjoyed the 1800 brand try Jose Cuervo Traditional. I have started buying this instead of my old fave Patron. It is not only cheaper but has a nice, smooth Tequila taste. ;)

Luckily we have found a way to use them over the past 7 years. Our grandkids like to snuggle up in them when watching TV and they make great beach blankets.:D

Turned out we had purchased 2 bottles of tequila and a bottle of rum during our incoherent shopping spree. We rarely drink tequila at home and still have most of that. Gave the bottle of rum to a friend for Christmas a few years ago.

:)One tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila floor!!!

Dianne

And just think of the wink and nod you can give your husband when seeing the kids enjoy the blankets!

said I'd let ya know what I found so ....

I was on the Carnival Imagination, and we docked at the International Pier (near as I can figure) All I know is it wasn't Puerto Maya where I had docked at a few months earlier when I was on the Carnival Freedom.

So, at this pier there were several stores with decent selections of tequila. Los Cinco Soles had a good selection, and ok prices on some things. There were two other smaller shops (excluding the big Duty Free Shop) that also had some good selections. I didn't shp at the port though.

Downtown at the huge Los Cinco Soles (just before the Forum Shops), has a large selection and they had quite a few bottles open for tastings. The prices were good on some things, and high on others I thought ... so as always it pays to know about what you'd pay for a range of tequilas at home.

I bought a couple bottles of tequila here and Xtabentun (their label) The LCS Liqueur is actually Vallisoletano with their own label on it. I prefer this brand to D'Arsti which has too much anise for me.

Tequileria International has an ok selection, but I thought the prices were high for what they had. I've paid less on the mainland for some of the items they sell. They do have a large bar set up for tasting ... I didn't give it a go since I wasn't looking to buy anything here.

My next stop was a Souvenir shop (I think it was just before the ferry dock ... but maybe not). It had the typical souvenirs in front and tequila in the back. They had a good range of tequilas most at good prices. I don't think the place had a name really.

My bags were getting heavy so I had to drop em off at the ship, then found out I had a Chef's table reservation. A little bummed I didn't get to check out a few more stores that were on my list, but the Chef's table was well worth the sacrafice. :D

198965076.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1290835151&Signature=XhsR0wpvJ%2Fl2heBRd%2FvP1AH0%2FQI%3D

PS Been drinking Margaritas in Cozumel, Playa and Cancun for a long time without any issues.

I like Patron with lime and salt so what do I need to bring back from Couzmel with me and where do I get it? I can buy Patron anywhere so introduce me to something better. Oh and thanks by the way!

If you buy Patron in Cozumel, according to what I have read, it was imported from the US as it's not made to sell in Mexico. Plenty of much better less expensive tequilas to be had.

If you buy Patron in Cozumel, according to what I have read, it was imported from the US as it's not made to sell in Mexico. Plenty of much better less expensive tequilas to be had.

I have officially turned over all my Patron stash to my DW (probably end up as margaritas now) and am in search of some Aha Toro. Haven't been able to find it locally so I guess i'll head to Atlanta this weekend and see if I can find it down there.

I have officially turned over all my Patron stash to my DW (probably end up as margaritas now) and am in search of some Aha Toro. Haven't been able to find it locally so I guess i'll head to Atlanta this weekend and see if I can find it down there.

I've yet to find it in ATL and have been looking at all our local package stores since we first tasted it about 5 years ago. :mad: Though the selections are getting better. :)

I've yet to find it in ATL and have been looking at all our local package stores since we first tasted it about 5 years ago. :mad: Though the selections are getting better. :)

Had to go to Utica, Mich for the company. Just got back Brrrrrrrrrr. I have been calling around Buckhead all day looking no luck yet. Shame that most don't have a clue what I am asking for. I'm not going to give up just yet though.

Archived