cell phone service?

shellondra

We are on the Dream next Saturday (can NOT wait!!!). We are leaving our kids at home wtih grandparents. I want to be able to touch base with the kids while we are gone. Will I get cell phone service while in port? (its not a satelittle phone) I would like to chat for a few min with my kids every other day or so but do NOT want to pay the $8 / min the ship charges.

Not sure where you are traveling. I can't offer an exact answer about what type of service you'll have in port, but if you have a smart phone (i.e. - iPhone, Droid, Blackberry, etc....) make sure you go to settings and put it on Airplane mode. Otherwise, any apps you have, including email, will continually "push" data to your phone. And you'll come home to an incredibly ugly cell phone bill as you will be charged roaming/international rate for all the transferred data.

When we went to St. Thomas and St. Martin our Cell Phone Would work. You just need to call your Cell phone company and make sure they allow your phone to work internationally. We have verizon and it worked in St. Thomas. It didnt work in Nassau. We could text on the ship but it didnt have good enough to call. The signal was never good enough to get through without dropping the call. We called in St Thomas and talked for about 10 minutes or so. it costed about 8 or 10 bucks if I remember on the bill.

Not sure where you are traveling. I can't offer an exact answer about what type of service you'll have in port, but if you have a smart phone (i.e. - iPhone, Droid, Blackberry, etc....) make sure you go to settings and put it on Airplane mode. Otherwise, any apps you have, including email, will continually "push" data to your phone. And you'll come home to an incredibly ugly cell phone bill as you will be charged roaming/international rate for all the transferred data.

Actually, OFF is the suggested cruise mode....... (can you tell I hate cell phones :))

We are on the Dream next Saturday (can NOT wait!!!). We are leaving our kids at home wtih grandparents. I want to be able to touch base with the kids while we are gone. Will I get cell phone service while in port? (its not a satelittle phone) I would like to chat for a few min with my kids every other day or so but do NOT want to pay the $8 / min the ship charges.

You dont say which cell phone service?? Since no one knows what service you are asking about, all Id say is to check that you have International turned on .. or you might wind up with a $300 bill .. who knows?

PS IV been on two ships recently one was trying out the $0.99 rate from your cabin and one had $1.99 ... so you might run into that. I usually call from a Internet Cafe for about 40 cents a minute.

we are hitting Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Belize and Roatan.

I called my cell company, added a text package, voice package and data package.

If you plan to keep the phone on and sending data (texts) and/or accessing internet, you must get an "international plan" at least for that one week or month. You will be charged international roaming chages for the ports otherwise, even with a data package.

Archived