When to buy trip insurance

scante

Hello, This is my first cruise I have booked that I didn't do at last minute. I paid deposit on 10/26/10 my final payment is due 1/10/11. Is there a limit to when I can get insurance? Can I wait till final payment. I usually go to insuremytrip dot com.

Thx

Hello, This is my first cruise I have booked that I didn't do at last minute. I paid deposit on 10/26/10 my final payment is due 1/10/11. Is there a limit to when I can get insurance? Can I wait till final payment. I usually go to insuremytrip dot com.

Thx

Buy it now!

Thx

You can purchase 3rd party trip insurance pretty much up to the last minute, but to get the (I consider important) "Waiver of Pre-Existing conditions" you have to purchase w/in 14-21 days of Cruise Deposit (you can get the waiver with CSA Freestyle upt to Final Payment date). ken

Ken - when you get the waiver from CSA at final payment is there a look back period? I guess basically what I have seen is that there is a look back period if you do not purchase within first 2 weeks or so of deposit and that look back period could mean night and day for someone with pre-existing conditions.

Ken - when you get the waiver from CSA at final payment is there a look back period? I guess basically what I have seen is that there is a look back period if you do not purchase within first 2 weeks or so of deposit and that look back period could mean night and day for someone with pre-existing conditions.

Pat - With the "Waiver of pre-existing conditions" there's no look back - that's why it's such a handy coverage to have and can expeditie a claim, in that they don't take the extra time researching your medical background to try to find a so-called pre-existing condition. The only difference with CSA is that they allow you to purchase up to Final Payment date and get the Waiver, whereas other Policies require that you purchase w/in the 14-21 days of Deposit to get the waiver. I believe that CSA is the only one to offer it up to final payment deadline.

Otherwise, without that coverage, most policies have "look-back period" of 60 or 180 days. Having said that, you have to look at the definition of "Pre-Existing Condition" - a condition CAN already exist during that look-back window as long as it's being controlled, did not re-occur, or need new Prescription, etc. during the look-back.

Also, note that in most (all) Policies, Medical Evacuation is not subject to the Pre-Existing condition limitation!

ken

Thank you for your replies. I guess i messed up by not getting at time of deposit. Could an insurance person or Ken tell me if travelex travel max has any limits by buying late, it doesn't seem to to me- but I was waiting to buy until final payment :D

Thank you for your replies. I guess i messed up by not getting at time of deposit. Could an insurance person or Ken tell me if travelex travel max has any limits by buying late, it doesn't seem to to me- but I was waiting to buy until final payment :D

So far as I know, all the TravelEx Policies require purchase w/in 21 days of Trip Deposit to get the Waiver (OOPS! Travel Max may be 30 days).

Look at CSA Freestyle (you may have to Google to find a source - you need a TA Number to purchase it from the CSA site) - or HTH Trip Protector (but you have to have existing Health Insurance to purchase HTH).

ken

I've suggested this before and it seemed to have worked for some people.. do you have an extended benefit carrier already either for health or home/car insurance. If you are already a customer they will sometimes offer you a great deal. For example, I bought a year's worth of insurance with all the bells and whistles for the same price I would have paid for one trip. Since I have 2 cruises booked for 2011 already and I live in the land of ice and snow, I wanted to make sure I was covered for anything that might make me have to give up my trip.

Thanks for the idea Ontario like who or is it whom for example? Thx

I purchased mine from Blue Cross in Ontario. They are my extended health carrier now that both my hubby and I are retired. Friends have purchased theirs from their car insurance company and another bought hers from her Credit Union. It's always nice to deal with someone who already knows you in case you do have to make a claim.

CSA has several different policies. The only ones that offer the waiver at the time of final payment rather than at first deposit are Freestyle and Freestyle Luxe. CSA is a very reputable and responsive company. When I had to make a claim for sickness during a trip their service was excellent. But remember that CSA coverage is usually secondary. If you need primary coverage you will probably have to buy the insurance near the time of deposit from a different company to include the pre-existing waiver.

We bought our insurance the same day as we put the deposit on the cruise. We opted for the cancel for any reason option, which gave us 30 days to buy the insurance in order to qualify for that option to be offered. We were kind of last minute in booking, as the final payment for the cruise was due in two weeks from the date we made the payment.

Archived