Cruising from LA after departure of the Norwegian Star?

alikaalex

From what I understand, the Norwegian Star will be leaving its homeport of Los Angeles at the end of next spring. According to NCL's website, there are no scheduled Mexican Riviera cruises after the Star is repositioned, just the occasional repo cruise.

Does that mean NCL has abandoned LA for regularly scheduled Mexican Riviera cruises? :( Or does anyone have an idea what NCL has in store for this port?

Hi Alikaalex...I remember you on the "Star" repo to Alaska. We all met at the "Meet and Greet. I was just on the "Star" to the Panama Canal and I got to talk to the Captain at a cocktail party. He said that it was becoming harder to fill the Ship to Mexico. People are afraid to book a Cruise to Mexico. He also said the other Cruise Ships are pulling out for the same reason. He also said that the Crew was sad to leave Los Angeles. I am sad to see NCL leave the West Coast. I kept hoping that they would come up with another Cruise up the Coast.:(

Hi Alikaalex...I remember you on the "Star" repo to Alaska. We all met at the "Meet and Greet. I was just on the "Star" to the Panama Canal and I got to talk to the Captain at a cocktail party. He said that it was becoming harder to fill the Ship to Mexico. People are afraid to book a Cruise to Mexico. He also said the other Cruise Ships are pulling out for the same reason. He also said that the Crew was sad to leave Los Angeles. I am sad to see NCL leave the West Coast. I kept hoping that they would come up with another Cruise up the Coast.:(

Hi again! :)

Guess there may be some rumors floating around the ship's staff, because the future cruise consultant said she had heard that their leaving LA had something to do with shoreside power (or lack thereof?).

That said, I'd usually put more stock in what Captain Gunnar says, but I think both Carnival and Royal Caribbean continue to sail the MexRiv itinerary. Add to that the arrival of the Disney Wonder, and it seems like the market is still strong. I hope NCL reconsiders and rotates one of their other ships to LA. Personally, I'd vote for a Jewel-class ship.

From what I understand, the Norwegian Star will be leaving its homeport of Los Angeles at the end of next spring. According to NCL's website, there are no scheduled Mexican Riviera cruises after the Star is repositioned, just the occasional repo cruise.

Does that mean NCL has abandoned LA for regularly scheduled Mexican Riviera cruises? :( Or does anyone have an idea what NCL has in store for this port?

like a couple other lines, NCL has decided, at least for now, to pull out of the Mex Riv itinerary.

Nita

Hi again! :)

Guess there may be some rumors floating around the ship's staff, because the future cruise consultant said she had heard that their leaving LA had something to do with shoreside power (or lack thereof?).

That said, I'd usually put more stock in what Captain Gunnar says, but I think both Carnival and Royal Caribbean continue to sail the MexRiv itinerary. Add to that the arrival of the Disney Wonder, and it seems like the market is still strong. I hope NCL reconsiders and rotates one of their other ships to LA. Personally, I'd vote for a Jewel-class ship.

A couple of other items that may enter into the reason ships are moving are the restrictions on fuel types that may be used near the coast and the restriction on power at the ports plus the port charges in Mexico are some of the highest in the world.

I would also surmise that NCL can book 7 day trips from Florida at a higher average rate than from Calif. plus the distance may be shorter. The Baja peninsula is pretty long and Cabo is at the tip, so the Carribbean ports may be closer thus less fuel consumption.

Edited by swedish weave

sw makes good point, plus I want to add RCI has pulled out or is pulling out as well. Along with the advantages of sailing out of Florida or the Gulf area there is the itinerary to consider. There really are only a handful of ports along the Mexican Riv. Yes, it is convenient for those on the west coast, but the market just isn't there for too many ships and lines. What it is great for is a 4 dayer just down to Encaenada and back.

Nita

Hmmm. Didn't know RCI was leaving as well. :( It will be interesting to see how well Disney does on this itinerary.

I also like the 4-day cruises, but find Ensenada a quite uninspiring port. Too bad there are slim pickings on Baja's west coast.

Still, there are a good number of us West Coast cruisers out there. Hopefully enough to make the remaining lines keep their ships on the Mexican Riviera itinerary.

I believe NCL considers the competition is too strong considering the fuel expensive itinerary. Princess has been very strong on the west coast, and Holland American has been strong in the past. Carnival is updating their ships, and Disney is moving into the market full time. Royal Caribbean has introduced one of their super mega ships as well. While NCL did well with the new Star, the Star isn't new anymore. NCL tried for a year to provide an eight day vice a seven day itinerary and ended up discounting much to much especially for the weekday departures. The California economy hasn't helped matters lately either...

The Star lately has been the ship with the least profits. When ships don't do well the cruise lines relocate them to a more profitable market. Florida is the heart of the US cruising world, not New York City or Los Angeles. Central Florida is as accessable as southern Florida to the vast majority of Americans living east of the Mississippi River. Plus itineraries can be much more varied and are less fuel expensive from Florida. There are four major departure ports in Florida, and NCL needs one ship from Tampa too....

Disney sees a need for a west coast ship with links to Disneyland, NCL doesn't...

Edited by Don Haynes

I believe NCL considers the competition is too strong considering the fuel expensive itinerary. Princess has been very strong on the west coast, and Holland American has been strong in the past. Carnival is updating their ships, and Disney is moving into the market full time. Royal Caribbean has introduced one of their super mega ships as well. While NCL did well with the new Star, the Star isn't new anymore. NCL tried for a year to provide an eight day vice a seven day itinerary and ended up discounting much to much especially for the weekday departures. The California economy hasn't helped matters lately either...

The Star lately has been the ship with the least profits. When ships don't do well the cruise lines relocate them to a more profitable market. Florida is the heart of the US cruising world, not New York City or Los Angeles. Central Florida is as accessable as southern Florida to the vast majority of Americans living east of the Mississippi River. Plus itineraries can be much more varied and are less fuel expensive from Florida. There are four major departure ports in Florida, and NCL needs one ship from Tampa too....

Disney sees a need for a west coast ship with links to Disneyland, NCL doesn't...

good post. I think the 8 dayer was a good idea except the scheduling seemed a little strange. Still, for the same price as a 7 dayer it proved to be a fair move. When they discontinued that things started falling off. I would love to see them move back into Houston, but that isn't likely. yes, you are right, there are so many itinerary choices when sailing out of NOLA, TExas and certainly Florida.

Nita

Haven't on NCL for awhile, but have been watching the pricing on the Star. It is very reasonable. I've seen the suite pricing the same as a balcony. As far as Disney goes, their prices are high. Evidently they still fill the ships but..........

We hate to see the ships leaving the West coast, DH doesn't fly so we go from the west coast. As usual it will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Good call on the Disneyland link. DCL can still make money on the west coast with their higher fares and the tie-ins with their land properties. I too enjoy sailing out of LA because I can drive. Not only is it easier, but I can afford a nicer stateroom if I'm not sinking money into flights.

Royal Caribbean has introduced one of their super mega ships as well.

Just wanted to point out that Royal Caribbean is pulling the Mariner out of the market as well. The last Mexican Riviera voyage of the Mariner is Jan 9, 2011. On Jan 16, she'll be headed down to Brazil for a short season, then over to Europe for the summer, then wintering in Galveston, TX. As far as anyone knows, Royal Caribbean has no plans to base any ships out of Southern California in the foreseeable future (repositioning cruises excepted). :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just wanted to point out that Royal Caribbean is pulling the Mariner out of the market as well. The last Mexican Riviera voyage of the Mariner is Jan 9, 2011. On Jan 16, she'll be headed down to Brazil for a short season, then over to Europe for the summer, then wintering in Galveston, TX. As far as anyone knows, Royal Caribbean has no plans to base any ships out of Southern California in the foreseeable future (repositioning cruises excepted). :mad::mad::mad::mad:

The Vision, which was there before the Mariner, was a wonderful sailing down to the MR. We had a wonderful time on our trip. I'm really disappointed the MR market is drying up because we've enjoyed our trips down there.

As stated by another, Ensenada is an armpit. In fact, if I was on a 3-4 night cruise that stopped there I wouldn't even get off the ship. I know Carnival has a trip that stops at Catalina for a day too, but I don't know where else it goes. There are some cruises that originate out of San Diego as well, but not many.

As stated by another, Ensenada is an armpit. In fact, if I was on a 3-4 night cruise that stopped there I wouldn't even get off the ship. I know Carnival has a trip that stops at Catalina for a day too, but I don't know where else it goes.

Back in the day, NCL used to sail the Southward on 3- and 4-day trips down to Ensenada (my introduction to cruising, actually). My wife and I tried the same itinerary on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival and we didn't get off the ship the second time.

That is what I thought as well; no more RCI. Disney will do well because, as pointed out the connection with Disneyland. People will do combo vacations, like they now do in Florida.

For those in the L.A. area I do feel for you. It is too bad you are losing the Star, for us in the middle part of the country we have no choice but to hop on that airplane or drive to the port. We are driving to NO in Feb. We really won't save that much as we will have to spend a night in a hotel both directions plus gas and parking. We are doing it for the fun of it.

Nita

I tried a CCL 4 day cruise, solo. Booked an inside cabin (they are quite large on the Paradise!) and had a great time!

I was not expecting ANYTHING, just wanted to be on the ocean. I loved both ports, Catalina and Ensenada. Catalina is delightful, drove a cart around the island, had a latte. For Ensenada it was an excursion through CCL to the Bufadora. The guide was enchanting and I really enjoyed the Margarita at Habana Banana!

I would do it again anytime.

I think NCL has left LA just like they had left Houston and Charleston. The reasons may be different, Houston closed their pier in Houston, NCL retired their last small ship for Charleston. Other homeports have also lost ships. Honolulu lost two due to a fail business plan, and may eventually lose three, and Vancouver lost one because Alaska raised it taxes.

It should be obvious by now that NCL is retrenching back to historic more profitable times sailing mainly from Florida. I'm surprised NCL isn't sailing at least one ship in the near future from Fort Lauderdale and Jacksonville too.

I agree with Don that all 8 night Mexican-Rivera cruises was a mistake for the long term. Maybe a more flexible schedule like Carnival's with 8, 7, and 6 day cruises that kept the turnaround in LA on the weekends would have been more successful. In the short term, the 8 night cruises provided a port few ships visited and did well, that is until steady passengers got tired of that port too.

I'm not so sure Don's other suggestion of fuel consumed due to the length of the cruise is valid.

It's 1648 miles by air from Los Angeles to Acapulco, a round trip cruise would be at least 3296 miles.

New York to St. Thomas is 1635 miles, a round trip cruise would be at least 3270 miles.

Miami to St. Thomas is 1100 miles, a round trip would be at least 2200 miles.

New York to Nassau is 1096 miles, a round trip would be at least 2192 miles.

New Orleans to Roatan ia 962 miles, a round trip would be at least 1924 miles.

Miami to Cozumel is 562 miles, a round trip would be at least 1124 miles.

Maybe Don does have a point with the fuel, traveling 2000 miles should consume two-thirds less fuel than traveling 3,000 miles. Or looking at it the other way around, which is how the cruise lines will look at it, traveling 3,000 miles consumes 150% more fuel than traveling 2,000 miles......

Which may explain why NCL doesn't have more cruises from New York to St. Thomas. But I do believe we may have stumbled upon a very valid reason why NCL has chosen to drop Mexican-Rivera cruises. As consumers, we look at these cruises solely upon the number of nights, we forget the cruise lines must also look at the miles traveled and fuel consumed.

Edited by electricron

• 3 years later...

Well, it looks like the Norwegian Star has returned to the Mexican Riviera, at least during the next few springs and winters. NCL's website shows MexRiv itineraries departing this coming March/April, November/December, and March/April 2015.

It's great to see NCL back in this market. While I love the Norwegian Star (the ship I've cruised on the most), I would like to see some variety out here on the Best Coast, maybe with one of NCL's fancy-schmancy big boys coming out here for a repo or two.

I also think offering shorter cruises from LA might do a good job of introducing more n00bs to cruising and building the local market. As far as I'm aware, only Carnival offers the 3- and 4-day oddly named "Baja Mexico" itineraries, but I think Carnival and NCL cruises appeal to different markets and it would be nice to see NCL throw its hat into the ring, perhaps with a similar itinerary, or the occasional 2-day Cruise to Nowhere.

For now, though, I'm just glad to see us back on their radar! :D

Why is a thread from 2010 resurfaced. Am I missing something.

Well, this thread is about the Norwegian Star no longer cruising regularly from LA. Since she is returning, it seemed appropriate to provide that update in this relevant forum. It brings the conversation full circle, if you will.

Edited by alikaalex

Well, this thread is about the Norwegian Star no longer cruising regularly from LA. Since she is returning, it seemed appropriate to provide that update in this relevant forum. It brings the conversation full circle, if you will.

We are glad the Star is back! We finally get to cruise round trip from our home port :)

I hope some cruisers from the December Mexican Riviera cruises come back with reviews.