Latest on Liquor

pattijo

I know that even though you are not allowed to take your own liquor onboard I understand it is pretty much a common practice. I recently heard a horror story that people were being fined $100 per bottle that was in their luggage. I have also heard that Carnival and Royal Caribbean only confiscate it until end of cruise. I know this subject has been beat to death over the years but wanted to pass this on and also to see if anyone else has been fined.

I have never heard of a fine being given. I have heard of people who used non-standard containers for liquor and lost both the liquor and the container (Rum Runners, mouth wash bottles, etc.)

On most cruise lines if they find your unopened liquor bottles in your bags, you get them back at the end of the cruise, but then you have to figure out what to do with them if you are flying home.

I have often/successfully smuggled wine and liquor onto cruise ships.

However, while this thread is still young, can I mention you don't have to head to the expensive 6* lines to get different booze policies that make smuggling less attractive?

Many lines allow you to bring aboard a bottle or two of wine without charge.

Holland America Line allows you to bring *unlimited* wine aboard, ie., multiple cases. No charge to consume in your cabin, $18 corkage supposed to be charged if you take it to the MDR. (Never happened to me.) They also deliver liter (34 ounce) bottles of liquor to your cabin for around $35 (and up, but a huge number of brands at lowest price point).

HAL isn't for everyone. It allows smoking in cabins/balconies; has 2 formal nights per week in the MDR when gentlemen may be refused to be seated without a jacket/tie (or asked to go to the Lido). But, if your current cruise line's booze policy drives you crazy, you might want to shop around.

Archived