Back from the 11/14 Jewel cruise

Shelli

As far as the HD or CD goes, doesn't matter to us since we never interact with them.

I'm more concerned about the concierge. ;)

I beg to differ on the HD at least... a hands off one means that things are not running smoothly everywhere onboard. John was everywhere so there was no real time for any crew member to get out of line or for anyone to really have a bad time (unless they were really trying to which I swear some people on CC go out of their way to... discussion for another day). LOL :eek::D

As for the Cruise Director... well if the Director stinks then his / her staff will also not have energy and well if events lack energy then they are no fun. I knew Paul Baya very well because I had cruise with him on the Jewel for 12 days in the Med/Egypt and talked with him in the airport afterward (he signed off the same day we turned around and had the same flight). I got to know him as an individual so I guess that's why his leaving NCL disappoints me. On my last cruise in March I was able to attend his b-day party as well. I sailed with him in January on the Norwegian Sky. Great guy! I can't say there has been any other Cruise Director that has really stood out though. I guess I can agree with you there that the CD really doesn't matter in the long run... :cool:

Concierge onboard is Adrian who filled in for Carlos Zarante who suffered an injury earlier this year while ashore on an excursion. I met Adrian in March... he's ok. I wish I could transplant Bruce from the Spirit to this ship. Bruce is the BEST concierge in the Norwegian fleet! You want to talk about someone being everywhere? That's Bruce!! Great guy and a real asset to NCL... just don't give him too much caffeine. :D

Do you know if Capt Fafalios will be onboard in Feb? I had heard that the bridge & galley tour was offered to CC Meet & Greet on some of the cruises and hope it will also be offered on ours

I have no idea if he'll be onboard in February. I can find out when I sail in January and let you know. However, the galley tour was offered up by the Executive Chef onboard in conjunction with the Hotel Director. The HD is the driving force behind getting the tours put together. John was good like that! Can't wait to find out what ship he's on next. Just please please don't let it be Pride of America (rumor was going around he might be on it next).

The dry dock in Boston main reason/priority is to repair the Azipod bearing issue that the Jewel has had for awhile. It only impacted the Canada itineraries because the ship could not do her max speed without vibration. We can only guess what else will be done while in dry dock.

On our cruise HD John during the meet & greet was also asked about a galley tour. He was surprised by the request and said he would let us know.

So on Thursday we all showed up for the bridge tour and near the end the Executive Chief appeared and asked us all if we wanted a tour of the galley (as you know should be plural). We were directed to the bridge observation room to wait for everyone, then trekked down the entire length of the ship top the aft crew elevators. Spent almost 3 hours touring everything both MDR galleys, fish prep room, other prep rooms, the bakery and even into the various walk in freezers and refrigerators.

Standing by the dish washing machines the Chief even made them turn it off and we got an entire lesson on how the food is recycled.

A great tour but all because John and the Chief made it happen and we were even allowed cameras (unlike Carnival behind the fun tour that you pay for).

I can even remember one evening I was walking on the promenade deck and John and the Staff Captain were hurriedly walking aft (there was a stuck elevator with passengers). They even took the time to slow down and pass a greeting, John remembered me and DW from the meet and greet.

FWIW

I have no idea if he'll be onboard in February. I can find out when I sail in January and let you know. However, the galley tour was offered up by the Executive Chef onboard in conjunction with the Hotel Director. The HD is the driving force behind getting the tours put together. John was good like that! Can't wait to find out what ship he's on next. Just please please don't let it be Pride of America (rumor was going around he might be on it next).

The dry dock in Boston main reason/priority is to repair the Azipod bearing issue that the Jewel has had for awhile. It only impacted the Canada itineraries because the ship could not do her max speed without vibration. We can only guess what else will be done while in dry dock.

On our cruise HD John during the meet & greet was also asked about a galley tour. He was surprised by the request and said he would let us know.

So on Thursday we all showed up for the bridge tour and near the end the Executive Chief appeared and asked us all if we wanted a tour of the galley (as you know should be plural). We were directed to the bridge observation room to wait for everyone, then trekked down the entire length of the ship top the aft crew elevators. Spent almost 3 hours touring everything both MDR galleys, fish prep room, other prep rooms, the bakery and even into the various walk in freezers and refrigerators.

Standing by the dish washing machines the Chief even made them turn it off and we got an entire lesson on how the food is recycled.

A great tour but all because John and the Chief made it happen and we were even allowed cameras (unlike Carnival behind the fun tour that you pay for).

I can even remember one evening I was walking on the promenade deck and John and the Staff Captain were hurriedly walking aft (there was a stuck elevator with passengers). They even took the time to slow down and pass a greeting, John remembered me and DW from the meet and greet.

FWIW

CruisinMaterial, thanks, I would appreciate your letting me know how the new HD is and if he allowed the tours.

Brighton Line - Your tours sounded fantastic. I hope we are nearly as lucky on our cruise.

I have to say we were really impressed by John O'Hara and Capt. Fafalios this past May. John was indeed, everywhere. Our CC group had a wonderful tour of the bridge and I had asked about the ship's hospital. We were taken on a tour of that too ! The staff we met were outstanding! I heard from someone on our roll call for this May that the HD is going to be Hugo (sorry no last name given).

Guess we sort of "highjacked" this review thread, sorry Shelli.

BTW, the Jewel had an itinerary change for 3 sailings only ( 5/1, 5/10 & 5/19). You might want to check it out (SJ, STT, STM, Tortola) RT 9days from NY.:D

Archived