Help! Questions about Voyager T/Atlantic Crossing (newbie)

YYC F/A

Sorry for the poor subject title, but I couldn't really sum up what I wanted to ask in a few words.

I'm looking for some imput from some experienced RSSC cruisers here. My partner and I are considering taking RSSC for the first time, and we've been offered a good rate on the sailing from Fort Lauderdale to Funchal, Madeira on the Voyager on April 23rd. HOWEVER, I have a couple of concerns.

Having previously worked in the travel industry, I'm aware that RSSC is a luxury line and that there are a number of quite a significant differences from the mass market lines. This will be my sixth cruise, and I guess we're looking at something a bit different. We found our last experience on RCCL (ironically also the Voyager) lacking in a few areas. The nickle and diming was omnipresent, constant throngs of people everywhere, haphazard service along with the overall 'vastness' of everything...

Hence considering Radisson. My concern is that we're on a transatlantic cruise with NO ports of call. Whilst we're pretty self sufficient at entertaining ourselves and just relaxing, I got to wondering if 8 days at sea might be a little too much? I'm not even sure what the weather will be like on the open Atlantic (it is a more southerly crossing rather than say NYC to Southampton, but will it be warm enough to enjoy sitting out on the Balcony). We found on our last couple of cruises that relaxing on the Balcony with a book, kicking back with a drink and watching the sunset, or just seeing the ocean drift past... it was great and really 'made' the cruise. But, if it is likely to be cold, choppy, and not very pleasant for 8 days, then this could be something to think about. Also, this would rather direct us to doing things inside. I'm 27, my partner 31, we're NOT party animals, but we're also not the type to want to be tucked up in bed by 10pm every night either, and I wondered if there was a chance we'd get a little 'sea-fatigued' after seeing nothing but cold grey seas and with little to do for 8 days!

This kind of brings me on to my next question... fellow cruisers. Everyone says that RSSC is a 'mixed bag'. Whilst we may not be your typical Carnival Cruises Spring Break crowd <shiver>, I'd hope we wouldn't be stuck in 'God's waiting room' for 8 days either.

Can anyone who has maybe done a trans-oceanic journey where there are lots of sea days and few ports of call perhaps share some thoughts on typical clientele, things to do, and generally just share there experiences? With regards to the weather situation, I know you can never accurately predict the weather and things can change, but a generalisation as to the type of climate we could expect to experience on a southerly atlantic crossing at end of April/beginning of May would be appreciated.

Thanks for any info and imput!

S

I did a westbound transatlantic on Celebrity's Constellation a couple of years ago. Beautiful, large ship with lots to do and I managed to stay happy and occupied for the five day crossing. However, I also felt like Columbus's crew must have felt when we finally spotted land on the evening of the fifth day and I'm not sure I could do it for eight days straight on a small ship.

My partner and I have done two trips on Voyager (Baltics 11 days '03 & Norway 12 days '04). Both trips were fantastic. We are hooked! And we loved days at sea--couldn't get enough of them. We'd do a transatlantic trip in a heartbeat if we could fit it into the schedule. I think you'll find interesting adults of all ages aboard. My guess is that the average age will be in the sixties. There is so much space on Voyager you won't feel closed in. You will find there is more to do than you can squeeze in. The only problem you will face is once having experienced true ultra luxury cruising, and that you will, you'll never want to return to the mass market lines again. (We're booked on Radisson's Paul Gauguin for 14 days this May. We're looking at a Voyager trip this November. And we're booked on a Mariner Alaska trip in 2006). Have a great trip.

Pat

Lynn and I have made 3 crossing on RSSC ( Voyager, Mariner and Diamond ) in the past 2 1/2 years. You'll love it! The average age on the crossings is usually @ 65, but we've had a lot of fun with many of the older folks and have found many of them to be very active. The pax load for that crossing should be @ 450, so you'll be pampered flat. If you haven't cruised RSSC yet, you're in for a real treat. Comparing RSSC to RCCL or Celebrity is like comparing the Ritz Carlton to Motel 6. There is no tipping period!

Response tp dougburns.....sailed both Celebrity (Constellation), b-2-b in April-May, T/A San Juan to Dover, and Dover r/t to St. Petersburg, 28 total days, and Rad's Voyager, 15 day Med. plus T/A in November, Barcelona to FLL.

Celebrity is superior in entertainment, and measures very well in food quality. The rooms on Celebrity are much smaller, but, you do spend an enormous premium for the added room space and the complimentary dinner wine, and, not to forget the complimentary bottle of liquor for your cabin on Radisson.

Based on value, it's a no-brainer.....Celebrity!

Anthony, I expect you're going to have a lot of people in here disagreeing with you. Certainly, much of any cruiser's enjoyment is going to be based on subjective factors, such as how they like the food or the entertainment. But there are some factors that contribute to the overall cruise experience that are simply indisputable facts and figures, that clearly place RSSC in a category above Celebrity.

For example, the simple ratio of crew/staff to pax is markedly higher on RSSC, meaning that you have more bodies available to serve you. Granted, this won't always mean better service as much of that is dependant on the individuals involved, but the numbers would indicate that service is probably better on RSSC more often than not.

There is also the space to pax ratio. More space means fewer lines, less crowds, etc. That's an indisputable benefit. This also translates to more dining space per passenger, resulting in the ability to have open-seated dining rather than fixed seating, since there's enough space for everyone.

The size of the ships matter as well. The bottom line is, you cannot get the same level of service on a ship with 2000 pax as you can on a ship with 300-500. This can also translate to higher quality dining, as it is simply inevitable that preparing meals for 2000 people does not lend itself to the type of quality you can get on a ship with a quarter of the people.

Then there is the basic fact that Celebrity is indisuputably a mass-market line, while RSSC is a luxury line. There are a number of specific criteria that define the two types of cruises. One could argue the relative value and degree of the benefits involved in that, but the benefits do exist, even if not everyone can appreciate them.

Having cruised on Celebrity, while I enjoyed my vacation tremendously, all of the criteria that are used to define the mass-market cruise experience were evident. By no means did these spoil my cruise, but some of them were annoyances which I would have preferred to avoid. I am about to take my first RSSC cruise, and I am very much looking forward to all of the benefits that go along with cruising on a luxury line.

By the way, regarding the price, one of the things I learned as I did my massive research into what cruise to take is that, when you compare apples to apples, RSSC often comes in very close in price to Celebrity. This is when you compare similar sized suites with similar levels of service, the no-tipping and alcohol-inclusive policies of RSSC, and the extra incidental costs on Celebrity, i.e. soft drinks, bottled water, etc. (aka "nickel-&-diming"). In fact, my upcoming Med cruise has turned out to be LESS expensive than a comparable Celebrity cruise! :)

Please do not take this to mean that I dispute your preference for Celebrity. As I mentioned earlier, much of what we use to determine our overall enjoyment of any cruise is going to be based on subjective opinions, as well as variances between experiences. One might have been unlucky enough to experience some bad service on an RSSC ship (it can happen on any cruise), and then had a surpassingly wonderful experience on a Celebrity ship, which of course would color one's overall view of the two lines. I'm simply pointing out the simple differences between the lines, which those new to cruise comparisons might not know about.

LeeAnne

Actually, on a multiple sea day cruise, such as a transatlantic, Celebrity would probably have more to do (and places to do it) than on a much smaller RSSC ship. And really, comparing Celebrity to Motel 6 is absurd and not at all helpful to someone trying to make a choice as the OP is trying to do. RSSC has many strengths but small ships also have their limits, no matter how "luxurious."

Lee, you take an awful lot of time to say very, very, little, but, we've experienced both, Celebrity and Radisson, and, can actually compare values. You've yet to sail on Radisson. Based on value received..... there's no comparison....Celebrity wins hands down!!

You're basing preference on Rad., who, to repeat, you haven't even sailed on....c'mon!!!

How much of your preference has to do with your association with LCT, a group of pro-Rad. only cruisers, who, for the most part, haven't sailed any another cruise ship(s)?

I would agree that the Motel 6 designation is a little harsh. I might use that for, say, NCL. Celebrity I would probably put more in the category of a Sheraton, in comparsion to RSSC's Ritz Carlton.

When I was researching T/A crossings, I was torn between the Voyager and Celebrity's Millennium. It did seem that there would be more possible activities on the Millennium due to the huge size of the ship and the many entertainment venues, as well as more organized activities. What sold me on the Voyager (beyond the luxury-line benefits) was what I read about the types of events that RSSC organizes on crossings. I read of barbecues, pool parties, cocktail parties, games, and various gatherings that were much more "intimate", so to speak -- meaning, given the far fewer number of people on board, they were more like socially-oriented fun events that lend themselves to really getting to know your fellow travelers, rather than pre-arranged activities for crowds of strangers. I'm not sure I'm explaining this properly, so bear with me.

I'm a very social person. I would much rather go to a barbecue where a fun game is being played that involves interacting with other passengers, especially if there were going to be a number of these where I would be encountering the same people and partying with them again and again. That sounds much more interesting to me than going to bingo or trivia games or dance lessons or art auctions where I will be with people I don't know, am not encouraged to get to know, and probably won't see again, at least not collectively (other than maybe running into a few of the same people in other areas of the ship). It was the party atmosphere, the opportunity to repeatedly have fun with a lot of the same people, and the warm and intimate social environment that attracted me.

However, I realize this is, again, subjective, and it may be more attractive to some to have more venues and types of activities to choose from, rather than fewer options but more social intimacy.

I hope this makes sense! Anyway, that's what initial swayed me to RSSC. In the end I chose to do the Med cruise immediately following the T/A crossing, and in this case it was the overall benefits of the luxury line experience that sold me.

LeeAnne

Lee, you take an awful lot of time to say very, very, little, but, we've experienced both, Celebrity and Radisson, and, can actually compare values. You've yet to sail on Radisson. Based on value received..... there's no comparison....Celebrity wins hands down!!

You're basing preference on Rad., who, to repeat, you haven't even sailed on....c'mon!!!

How much of your preference has to do with your association with LCT, a group of pro-Rad. only cruisers, who, for the most part, haven't sailed any another cruise ship(s)?

Nice. Very nice. Thanks for being so kind to me, Anthony. I didn't put you down, or even your preference. Just stated my own opinions. Sorry, but I don't have much respect for people who insult other people. It's these kinds of negative attacks that sully the message board experience.

My stated preference has to do with all that I have read and learned in my research about RSSC, and I do make a point of stating clearly that I haven't sailed them yet, but look forward to it very much.

I really appreciate all that I have learned from all the sources available to me, including this and other boards. It's been a wonderful experience for me. I'm terribly sorry if it hasn't been so wonderful for you.

LeeAnne

Lee, I've re-read your post several times, and, frankly, I'm lost.

You, apparently, prefer Radisson based on the fact that the LCT board says Rad's the way to go! How, possibly, can you rate Radisson superior, not having sailed Radisson, versus Celebrity?

First of all, I never even MENTIONED LCT, you did. That is only one of the many sources that I have used to research my cruise, and not even close to being the most significant. I'm curious how exactly you can determine why I selected RSSC, and where you get the idea that my choice was based on what that specific board told me.

Second, I'm sorry you are lost. I have stated clearly that I am looking forward to my first RSSC cruise. I have stated that there were aspects of my Celebrity cruise that are typical to the mass-market lines that I expect I will not experience on RSSC, due to the fact that it is a luxury line. I have stated many of the reasons why I've selected RSSC for my next cruise. I have NOT stated that I "prefer" RSSC -- I haven't cruised them yet. However, I have "chosen" them over Celebrity, for all the reasons I mentioned.

I'm glad you are reading my posts so often and thoroughly. Every writer likes to have their stuff read. :)

LeeAnne

:) As I recall, the first post simply asked whether there would be enough to do on a transatlantic cruise with no port stops and what the conditions would be on the balcony as the couple was trying to decide whether to book on the April 23rd Fort Lauderdale to Funchal. They are not trying to compare Radisson to Celebrity for goodness sake. I have sailed with my husband on Cunard twice, NCL once (ugh) and Radisson once. Radisson is so far superior there is no contest. When my sister wanted to go on her first cruise and needed a companion, I had no problem recommending Radisson. We are booked on that transatlantic cruise, and are certain that there will be lots of interesting activities. We are curious about the weather, however.

We are each entitled to our own preferences. I have never cruised on a Celebrity ship, but I am certain I will since they now leave from Galveston which is so close to my home. If anyone has any real advice on activities and weather conditions, I am sure we would all like to read it.

Cotto22, you are correct, and I hope that my above assessment of the different types of activities on the mass market large ships vs. the smaller RSSC ships, based on all of the reading and research that I've done, has proven helpful to the OP.

By the way, the OP did mention that they'd cruised 6 times prior on mass-market lines, and are looking forward to the differences of a luxury line. So I agree, it does seem rather a waste of time to attempt to sway them back to a mass-market line such as Celebrity.

Oh, btw, to the OP, I'm going to be on the cruise immediately following yours, boarding in Funchal. Maybe we'll cross paths. :)

LeeAnne

Interesting exchange! I have good friends who love Carnival. They want a "party ship." God bless and more power to them. By the way, they can spend as much money on a Carnival cruise as I can on a Radisson cruise. I'm sure I'd have a wonderful time on a Celebrity cruise. I did on Princess and on the Stella Solaris! For ME, the quality of the service and space and dining experiences make the ultimate luxury cruise lines worth the extra cost for a standard cabin. I don't expect everyone to share those values.

Pat

Having cruised on both Celebrity(the Constellation),and Radisson(the Diamond),and thoroughly enjoyed both,they do have different strengths,and weaknesses.

However,overall,for us,a smaller ship will always be preferable because of it's greater intimacy,higher service levels,and better food.

Celebrity's current pricing is such that it would appear to be higher than not only it's market sector competitors,but also the luxury lines.

Celebrity does offer a high quality cruise experience,but I doubt if even they would claim that they are competing with the luxury lines.

I was quite shocked to log back in and see 18 replies to my original post! Thanks for all the tips.

However, Celebrity vs RSSC aside, anyone have any clues on the weather or sea conditions on a southerly transatlantic crossing at this time of year? Surely someone somewhere must have crossed the pond in spring (be it on RSSC, Celebrity or otherwise!) ;) Any advice on typical climate and sea conditions would be appreciated! Are we looking at being able to spend a few pleasant days by the pool and up on deck, or are we looking at potentially cooler / grey days and choppy seas?

Insofar as Celebrity vs RSSC, I couldn't find any 8 nt transatlantics to compare, but a 10nt cruise on Celebrity in a suite with balcony and a couple of 10/11nt cruises on HAL in a verandah suite on similar dates worked out to be only about 20% cheaper than RSSC (given the keen pricing RSSC has on it's repo/transatlantic cruises, and yes CruiseWhere, there's some good 'Dargaling' to be had). Therefore, by the time one factors in the lack of bar tabs and wines with dinner et al, the difference is very narrow indeed.

We did get fed up of hearing the cattle calls to "Bingo in the Stardust Lounge" or "XYZ Contest on the Pool Deck" on the mass market lines. I agree with Lee Anne above who has tried to sum up the more intimate, personable and sociable aspects of a smaller ship.

My concern with RSSC is that there might be very few activities at all. If the weather is nice, then it's easy to while away the day on deck and by the pool... but if it's windy, grey, cool and choppy for 8 days then, without the diversions found in ports of call, we'd hope that there would be enough going on to make for interesting days at sea... and from what people have posted above though, it sounds like hopefully there will.

I just tried that link, and it would appear as if I am looking at the southern US? I never was very good at maps. Can someone just maybe spell out what the air temps might be at the end of April crossing the Atlantic from FLL to Funchal for those of us who are graphics impaired? Thanks!:)

Hi Bill, Thanks for the great link!

Cotto -

Your looking at a MAXIMUM daily temperature (I'm guessing about midday) of low 90's sailing out of FLL, then dropping to high 80's, low 80's and finally a high of about 75 by the time you get closer to Funchal, Madeira.

So, all in all, very pleasant! Though I expect the wind will cool off these temperatures quite a bit, but for the first few days at least, should hopefully be nice weather to lounge around up on deck!

Minimum temperatures (I'd guess during middle of the night) are from Mid 60's getting progessively cooler as you sail north to Madeira where it shows Mid 50's as the average minimum temperature.

Cotto--

Rather imprecisely, (and I chose May, because of the lateness in April of the cruise) it would appear that for roughly half the cruise, daytime high air temps should be 85 degrees out of Florida and stay around 80 degrees. For the balance of the cruise I think you can expect air temps to drop five degrees per day from 75, then 70, then 65 degrees as you approach Funchal.

Entering April as the month gives slightly lower temps but remember these are monthly averages.

Bill

Weather on the crossing can vary at any time of year. Our first crossing was in Nov aboard Mariner from Tenerife-Bermuda-FLL. We had two or three days of unsettled weather during the crossing due to a large storm @ 1000 miles to the north of us. Air temps were @ 70-74 with sea temps @ 68-70. Second crossing was on the Voyager in Apr/May from FLL-Bermuda-Funchal. We had the calmest seas I've ever seen all the way to Funchal. Air temps were again in the low 70s with sea temps in the high 60s. Third crossing was southern route from Funchal-San Juan in Nov aboard Diamond. We had several days of troubled seas, but it was not a problem aboard Diamond, because she rides so well. Temps were about the same as the other two. I've made many crossing of the Atlantic while in the Navy. The route from Bermuda to anything south of the Azores is generally pretty good, but frontal systems coming off the U.S. mainland can have a definite affect, depending on how strong they are. Anything to the north of the above route can be pretty bad, depending on the time of year and severity of frontal systems coming off the U.S. mainland. Spring and late Fall crossings are the best. I would not make a crossing during the summer or early Fall due to the possible affects of hurricanes.

Archived