Grand Secrets????

pmenefee

DW and I will be on the Grand in about three weeks and wondered if there are secrets that you learned late in the cruise that you wish you had known the first day. Like: the best pool for adults only, where to sit in PC dining for the best wait staff, ice cream (that seems to be a hot topic), and anything else on any subject.

Anything would be welcomed!

Pete

First and foremost - figure out how to spot the restrooms! That can be a little difficult on the Grand. Waitstaff moves around from cruise to cruise so you can't ask for a particular table. I highly recommend using the dining room for lunch, and breakfast. It's all open seating. The lunch menus have some really good items and always have a couple pasta selections, something Princess galley staff seems to do an extremely good job with.

There is a forward observation area outside on deck 15. You used to be able to get on top of the bridge, but it was closed last time. Maybe that is only open while in port. Anyway, it's a great spot for photos.

Enjoy your cruise!

The spa pool is almost always deserted...and it has (or at least had) real teak recliners. It is a little harder to find and quiet....and adults only.

The explorer's lounge is frequently empty. Go all the way to the windows to get a quiet drink while watching the water.

The Wheel bar is not usually crowded either and is very nice.

Get to the shows early, they are almost always full.

J

Find the adults only area ASAP! I had no idea it existed until the 3rd day! The easiest way to find it (in my opinion) is to walk up to the jogging track and take that. You can also get there going through the Spa. And 1 other way, but I don't recall what that was.

Don't bother with Skywalkers until 10:30 or 11pm. That's when it really gets hopping.

If you want a quieter hot tub, and a slightly less crowded area during the day (and evening too). Got to the aft pool. The hot tubs above it are much larger, and are rarely used. At least when I was there. It might differ cruise to cruise.

Don't miss the big sale in one of the dining rooms the last sea day (I cannot remember which dining room it was, but it'll be in your daily patter). The deals are great, but get there early or there'll be very little left :eek:

When going into Belize, be sure to be somewhere you can see the arrival (unless your cruise is a 6:30 am arrival in Belize) you'll be amazed at the beautiful islands and scenery! Usually about an hour before arrival you'll be going through the reef area and Cayes.

Also for Belize, if you like Chips and Salsa, have some at The Wet Lizard. It's delicious! If you like beer, try a Belikin.

If you only make it to one onboard event, do *not* miss the Caribbean night. On our cruise in December it was the evening of Grand Cayman. And the highlight of the cruise for me! (as was stingray city with Moby Dick tours)

Make an appearance at the sing-a-long Wizard Of Oz! It was a lot of fun, and we were all adults. This was the evening of Costa Maya in December, but if your itinerary was one that was changed then it'll most likely be the night of Belize. Check the patter for that.

Go see the finals of Princess Idol. It might be entertaining. We had a lot of fun!

Try one of the Strawberry Margaritas! mmm

If you're like me, and like using the hand sanitizer before and after eating, you have to look closely for them. I could only find them on the wall in the Horizon Court. They may be elsewhere though. I was looking specifically for the free standing dispensers.

Wine tasting is really inexpensive, and if you're interested in it, it's quite educational. I only went to the first one, but I believe there were progressivly more expensive ones which included more expensive wines. (I'm beginning to see an alcohol trend here lol)

The mini-golf area is hidden, but it appeared to be open 24 hours. To get there, look at the MUTS, then look slightly to the right and below. There's a door. Take that door. Up the stairs is the mini golf course (9 hole). The balls and putters are there for you. This is particularly fun if you experience rough seas :D

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. You cruise the Grand before I do again, so if you find any secrets, be sure and post them ;)

LES!

If your dining selection is Personal Choice, and you're looking for a great waiter, look for Karol from Poland. In December, he was in the Michaelangelo dining room. If you find him, tell him Meredith sent you (if he remembers me, that is), and she's coming back in April and will be looking for him. Then, if you don't mind, tell me where you found him! That's tops on my to-do list as soon as I board. ;)

Don't miss the sailaway party. I briefly wandered through there, and wish I had spent more time there, it looked like a lot of fun!

For the Island Night party, I found the best view to be on deck 16. The crowd was thin, but you could see and hear everything!

The hot tubs in the spa pool were hardly used, also. Also, I found the water in the spa pool to be warmer than the other pools, so if it's too cold in the others, try there. Weird how the warmer pool is the adult pool...:confused:

Don't miss the champagne waterfall, and your chance to get your picture taken pouring champagne onto it. This is a really neat Princess tradition I was very impressed with.

Try EVERY souffle for dessert! They were all wonderful!

I'm hoping to find more neat tips about this ship the 2nd time around. I learned alot about the Elation the 2nd time around, so I hope I can do this for the Grand as well. My goal is to figure out how to get all the way forward on the Promenade/Emerald Deck walkway. The stairs to get to the Emerald Deck were closed every day I tried to get up there. :(

They serve ice cream, with sundae fixings, at the Horizon Court buffet every afternoon - at either 3:00 to 4:00 or 3:30 to 4:30. Get there a couple minutes ahead of time because a line forms very quickly!

I agree with the earlier poster about the sale on the last sea day. I got some excellent bargains and there was a wide selection of everything at the beginning of the sale. I think it started at 9 a.m. But when I went back towards the end of the posted sale hours, around 2 p.m., the pickings were very slim.

Have a great cruise and share any secrets you may learn when you return!

They had everything youcould imagine. Clothes, watches hats etc. I don't know if they had any jewelry, but they had everything else.

It's basically like a clearance sale at a store. Stuff no longer in production and overstock.

For instance, they had tons of shirts for many ports the Grand has been to, not on this itinerary, but Europe and other places. I think they started at $5.

I'm only assuming they have this every cruise, but they certainly did on our cruise in December.

LES!

I was also wondering :rolleyes: what kinds of things were on sale in the dining rooms that last sea day.

Thanks!

It's usually stuff from teh boutiques on board. Last seasons t-shirts, hats, logo-wear, keychains, etc. Also, if your ship has just come from Europe, you'll have European port tshirts, etc. On our last cruise, we were doing a 10 day Caribbean and the ship had just come from Alaska, so lots of Juneau, Ketchikan, and Skagway tshirts. Also some cool Russian (stacking) dolls for pennies on the dollar. Hey - a sale is a sale is a sale :) :) :)

We were just on the Grand the beginning of February for the Western Carribean, here are a couple of our tips.

1. :) DO go to Sabatini's for dinner, it was such a great experience, we wished we had signed up for it a couple of times - most definitely worth the $20/person - excellent service, amazing food, a MUST DO
  2. :) DO watch a Movie Under the Stars - it's so nice to sit outside and watch a movie - think about sitting on the upper deck, if you don't mind the breeze, I found downstairs to bright to enjoy the movie (but do not go and watch Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...very slow)
  3. when you are going ashore by tender, get to the lounge early to get the tender tickets...bring a deck of cards to pass the time, in fact, keep a deck of cards with you at all times, it helps pass the time if you are lining up for things
  4. when they have the Carribean party set up over the Stern Pool, make sure you go - great music and quite lively
  5. :mad: DO NOT pay for Stirling Steakhouse - average food and service and most definitely not worth the extra $15/person

That's all I can think of, enjoy yourself

There is no charge to utilize the steam room and sauna and they are located by the adult pool adjacent to the spa. Treadmills are easily available in the afternoon. Spas services cost less when in port, but who really wants to use port days unless you have already seen that port or you cut short a shopping day?

Get a pedicure early on in the cruise and your toes will look beautiful in sandals all week. It was a fabulous experience for myself and my girls. The spa staff laughed each time they saw us for the rest of the cruise. If you embark really early, go to the spa and ask if they need a model for demos for that afternoon.

Tipping for room service is a must. They will promptly bring you extra ice every afternoon, along with wine glasses, snacks, etc. Our ice filled by the room steward was always melted by afternoon and not refilled until turn- down at night. As we utilized our refrigerator for wine rather than keep the ice bucket there we received a huge bucket of ice from room service each afternoon that allowed for cooling beverages of choice. We also had fruit delivered for odd snack times.

Right-o, make sure you are in the wheelhouse lounge very early if you plan to catch an early tender. Get a ticket even if you have booked a ships tour, even if they tell you "you don't need one", and as soon as they begin disbursement as there still seems to be confusion and lack of communication among staff members. Catch the "smaller" tenders on the way back to the ship as large tenders tend to take a awfully long time to unload and check passengers back on board.

Pack, then take 1/2 of what you packed out. Only your closest cruise buddies are going to know you wore something twice or three times and they don't care. Besides, washers and dryers are available or you can send out dry cleaning. You will be provided with all the shampoo, conditioner and lotion you need. There is a hair dryer, but it was not really effective.

Don't be shy about ordering two appetizers, skipping main courses, substituting or adding baked chicken to the pasta alfredo, etc. Ditto on the souffles - they were the best!

Don't expect everything to be absolutely perfect! Don't sweat the small stuff! Don't let others bad attitudes or impatience affect you. Go expecting to have the time of your life and to make the most of every moment - whether that means go,go,go or kicking back just to watch the sea go by.

M&T:

Yes most all is valid for the star. Definitely the adults only area. I have sailed with Princess 4 times, twice on the Grand twice on the Star. They are ALMOST identical. The Star's kids area is larger and there is no arcade (the kids area is in it) and it has a larger, nicer spa. Other than that...not much difference.

We just got home from the 7 day W. Carib. on the Grand and we had a fabulous time! While it is still fresh in my mind I will try and list some things.

To me, being outside enjoying a nice sea breeze is the epitome of 'vacation'. So as you will see, most of my favorite things involve being outside. :p

1. I agree about Sabatini's - a MUST DO

2. My favorite pool area was the aft pool. It is an adult only pool, and located directly under the Skywalker Lounge. To me, the view was the best back there - the whole panoramic view behind the boat and also it was not crowded at all. A great place to veg in a deck chair and read a book while the waiter keeps the drink of the day coming.

3. favorite drink of the day: the Chocolate Banana was heavenly (Sunday)

4. try to be in the aft hot tub (right by the Oasis Bar) for a sunset. We were only able to do this on Sunday (1st day at sea) but it was wonderful.

5. We thought the wooden horse racing was a hoot - only $2 a bet

6. MUTS is great for the evening where you are stuffed from dinner and don't feel like going to a rowdy show but don't want to go back to the room either. We liked veiwing from the upper level too, as someone else said (Lido deck area is sort of bright and crowded). Put on your sweats (it is a little breezy, but you are truly under the stars up there) and relax. and they will bring you popcorn!

7. If you plan to buy booze in Grand Cayman (we wanted some of the Tortuga stuff) do it early that day. For some reason, they must pack it up and send it to the ship and you have to have it done by 3:45 or something like that? Needless to say we missed the deadline (we were out swimming with stingrays). Also, a lot of the shops closed early in GC - someone told me it was because they are working on hurricane repairs then. You can get Tortuga light and dark rum in Cozumel but you can't get the specialty rums like coconut, etc. While standing in line (LONG line) waiting to tender back to the ship, we bought a big bag of freshly popped kettle corn from a vendor there on the street. If you see them, try it! It was awesome!

8. I wish I had discovered earlier in the trip the TV channel with the "What's Up" cruise director show. We only caught it later in the trip - but it is loaded with great info - while I was getting ready in the mornings I would have it on. They tell you all about the port you are in - cool things they think you shouldn't miss, best stores to shop in, etc. Then on to the ship stuff - activities for the day, drink of the day and all that. All the info is available in the Patter and in the Port description thingy but somehow it is much better to me when someone talks about it. They are pretty entertaining too!

9. Breakfast - I typically ate breakfast alone because dh was jogging so I would do the Horizon Court buffet. If you do this, try taking your plate out to the aft deck area outside (overlooking my favorite pool) :) . There are tables out there and you can enjoy being outside & seeing the ocean, but in the shade from the deck overhead. Also, there is a coffee table set up back there complete with coffee mugs and cream (sugar/sweetener is on the tables) so don't worry about trying to go to the drink station for coffee while you are trying to carry your plate, silverware, juice etc. We only had breakfast in the dining room once - it was good, tho a little slow.

10. We thought the Champagne Waterfall was lame (sorry! looks like we are the only ones who didn't like it! :o ) but we thought the Caribbean party was a lot of fun. Note: they put the tropical shirts on sale for 2 for $40 on the gift shop that day if you don't have one!

11. Ditto on ALL the souffle desserts - YUM.

12. If you are taking an excursion that is rather long, you might consider taking some sort of snack along with you. You will not be able to take fruit off the ship but I saw people with little packages of trail mix and stuff, not sure where they got it but we sure were wishing we had some a couple of times.

13. If you are considering snorkeling in Cozumel - we had a great time doing the shore snorkel (thru Princess). Our dining mates did an excursion where a boat took them out to a reef. They said the swells were big enough that they had a problem with the water going in their snorkels and when they were trying to clear them another wave would come and wash over their heads etc. They did get to see a sea turtle and other cool stuff we didn't see but didn't have a great experience. Meanwhile we had a ball and saw a lot of fish, then walked out of the water and sat right down at a table for a cold margarita and chips/salsa/guac.

14. If you want pictures taken on formal nights, try to go early. The lines are long.

15. Try the pizza from the pizza bar on the Lido deck - we thought it was great.

OK - I guess I am still excited about the trip since this is getting LONG! I will stop now, lol. You are going to have a GREAT time!

2. My favorite pool area was the aft pool. It is an adult only pool, and located directly under the Skywalker Lounge. To me, the view was the best back there - the whole panoramic view behind the boat and also it was not crowded at all. A great place to veg in a deck chair and read a book while the waiter keeps the drink of the day coming.

Is the aft pool adults only too? The only one I was aware of is the one between the gym and the spa. In December, I remember seeing several kids in the aft pool area (I don't think I ever saw anyone actually in the pool) because the arcade has a door that opens to the area. (Not sure which deck)

I agree entirely that the view is amazing back there. I'll definitely check out a sunset this time.

I also liked those hot tubs best because they were larger and usually no one else was in there.

LES!

Archived