RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

I have not yet cruised to Europe, but in general we avoid ship-sponsored excursions, both to save money and, more importantly, to have a more personalized, small-group experience.

Your best sources for information are the port boards on Cruise Critic, and your roll call, to find other people on your cruise who might want to share excursions.

I see you are new to the boards - if you need help finding the port boards or your roll call, let us know what ship, date, and ports, and we'll be happy to help!

We went to Europe 2 years ago. We did a B2B on the Navigator and booked our own private excursions. We saved 1000s of dollars this way and were able to do what we wanted and not as crowded. Some of the ships excursions would only go to one place and we were able to go to multiple places. Quite often the buses from the ship were arriving as we were leaving. When you join a CC group for your specific cruise, put out feelers if anyone would like to do a group trip and you can save more money. We had a group of 30 of us on the first leg of the B2B and we had a blast. We made lots of friends this way, in addition to saving money.

• 2 months later...
With the RCCL iPhone App you just have to view all the deck plans while you have an internet connection...before you put it in air plain mode. Once it has loaded the plans they store in the app. I used this app on Allure of the Seas last September and never had an issue when I loaded each plan before boarding the ship. I could only open the deck plans on board in air plane mode if I had opened them before with an internet connection.

I tested this out, opening the plans with internet and then putting phone in airplane mode and trying to open them again. Didn't work. Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Well I can assure you that in the majority of cases, here in the UK, lines do exist. If all of your fellow citzens took your approach, it is no wonder that some American people are portrayed by some as boorish, rude and loud. I can assure you that queue jumping is certainly frowned upon here in the UK.

Furthermore, it is perhaps not a wise action to be 'aggressive' in some parts of Europe.

Certainly on my many trips to the US, I have noted that the concept of queuing does not exist for many Americans, but please note, I am not criticising, it is just an observation.

If I had a dislike for the Americans and the country, I would not visit as frequently as I do, - love the country and their people. Certainly I would not show a dislike for US citizens just because they jump a line now and again - we have enough a**holes in our own country to worry about other nationalities minor indiscretions!

Someone jumping in front of a queue may be deemed rude in other countries, but by being 'aggressive' and jumping a queue will only compound the anger of the people who are in an orderly line behind.

Only last month while waiting for the check in desk to open at LAX, there were about 20 people waiting to enter the line once the tape had been raised, however, despite the obvious waiting queue, an American couple decided to do a 'limbo dance' under the tape in an attempt to get to the front.

Rude or just clever because by taking this course of action, they would get checked in first? You decide - I will keep my own counsel on that one.

Some may say the end justified the means!

As an aside, rather than be 'aggressive' to avoid missing a flight, many would suggest arriving at the airport in time would be a preferable option rather than annoy your fellow travellers.

Americans' cultural habits differ greatly from one geographic region to another and also where one falls socioeconomically. The general rule of thumb is that those of us raised in the South by professionals would never dream of cutting in line, sitting down at a table uninvited etc. Common courtesy and civility is a learned behavior and some of my Northern fellow Americans were not raised in the genteel South!!!

This is more of a travel packing secret on any cruise. I buy clothes at thrift or resale shops specifically to take on international cruises--especially TAs. I generally leave them on the ship with a note to the room attendant to use/share as appropriate. I then have an extra bag to pack gifts etc or not have to pay an extra luggage charges when returning home.

Agree with all the posts about bringing conditioner and other speciality items. The shampoo on board is awful--you hair will be straw by the end of the cruise. Also bring travel wipes and hand santizers for excursions. And plenty of ziplock bags for cameras--phones etc to keep them dry.

Pack your meds and a couple of days clothes in your carry-on and whatever you plan to wear to dinner the first night on the ship. You may not get your luggage until after dinner or later.

I have not yet cruised to Europe, but in general we avoid ship-sponsored excursions, both to save money and, more importantly, to have a more personalized, small-group experience.

Your best sources for information are the port boards on Cruise Critic, and your roll call, to find other people on your cruise who might want to share excursions.

I see you are new to the boards - if you need help finding the port boards or your roll call, let us know what ship, date, and ports, and we'll be happy to help!

I have had great luck with small group tours through United Airlines Cruises. I book all my trips through United and the excursions they market are very carefully selected. Cheaper than the ships and much smaller groups.:)

This is more of a travel packing secret on any cruise. I buy clothes at thrift or resale shops specifically to take on international cruises--especially TAs. I generally leave them on the ship with a note to the room attendant to use/share as appropriate. I then have an extra bag to pack gifts etc or not have to pay an extra luggage charges when returning home.

How thoughtful, hand-me-down, hand-me-downs.

The biggest secret they don't tell you is that once you go on your first cruise you will forever hooked! It will be the worse sickness you will have ever experienced in your life and the only cure is to cruise over and over!

:D :p ;)

Oh, So true!!!!!! Thinking about booking one in the very near future. It is what

keeps you going on those long cold winter days....

Zip-lock bags for everything from jewelry to undies to shoes (snack size to 3-gal). When I get to the cabin, I use a quick wipe with antiseptic wipes in the drawers, toss the various zip-locks in and grab the clothes and put them in the closet. I can be completely unpacked in less than 10 minutes and have everything handy to head to the shower each day. When it's time to repack, I've refilled the bags with the dirty and damp clothes and I only have to toss them into the suitcase. I don't waste my last day or night with packing and unpacking. On the last night, before going to dinner, I put my outfit to disembark on a hanger in the (then) empty closet with a zip-lock attached with any undies/accessories, etc. That way there's no way I forget to leave something out before setting my luggage outside the cabin. I use the zip-ties for my luggage. Anyone with the idea of unzipping my luggage will just move on to one that doesn't have the zip-tie. I use the obnoxious bright colors. I take an envelope and put $1 and $5s in it and leave it in the center desk drawer for easy access for tips for room service delivery. I use room service for a wake-up call. Nice to have the coffee delivered as a wake me up and the advance call saying room service is on the way gives me time to get the tip and have myself awake for my coffee and juice to arrive. I can have this while getting ready to head out to breakfast. Coffee and juice on the balcony is my favorite way to wake up.

I always ask the room steward to refill the ice bucket each day. If you are a smoker, ask the room steward for one of their special ashtrays for the balcony. Don't become a "hoarder" on the cruise. As I pass down the hall, I'm instantly disgusted by the mess some people make of their cabin, with the steward struggling to climb over mounds of clothing and to vacuum among the "ruins" created by the passengers. Have common respect and courtesy for the stewards. They have only so much time for cleaning each cabin. Don't be afraid to use a lanyard. We're Diamond so we aren't first time cruisers. We just feel it's a handy way to keep from losing our SeaPass card and to get into the cabin without a scramble to find it. Try the walk around Deck 4. It's a wonderful way, late at night to enjoy the ship.

• 1 month later...
Do I remember hearing that there is a bathroom somewhere on Voyager class ships that looks out over the water? I can't remember where (it's been awhile), but I remember people telling me not to miss that on my first Voyager-class ship. Anyone help out here?

It's to the left of the entrance to the Windjammer. It's beautiful!

1. One of the most useful tips I have is to put a wash cloth in the slotted rack in the shower so your shampoo, conditioner, etc. doesn't fall through.

2. If you don't like the iced tea that they serve, request a glass of ice and a pitcher of hot tea to make your own. Also works if you prefer "sweet tea", just add your sugar to the pot.

3. On the Oasis there are "Small Wonders" throughout the ship that are fun to find. Not sure if I found them all but I tried.

I also want to thank whoever it was (sorry, I've been reading all 34 pages today) for suggesting the coffee table be removed for more room. I will definately have that done in December.

Edited by adomek

Someone just mentioned a lanyard for the seapass. We are leaving on our cruise on Sunday. Where can I buy a lanyard? Any ideas? Are they avail to buy on the ship?

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Walmart, dollar store, but I've read they also have them on the ship. Probably for a premium. :)

A favorite sail away spot for me is the helicopter landing pad at the very front of the ship (Voyager, Freedom and Radiance classes). Most folks don't figure out the way there until later in the cruise. Just go out to the wrap around promenade under the life boats (deck 4 on Freedom) and walk all the way forward. There will be stairs that take you up one deck, continue walking toward the front and you'll soon be at the heli pad with one of the best views on board.

Second best place: Viking Crown Lounge. Easier to find, just take the aft elevators up to the very top.

love those spots as well.

• 2 weeks later...

34pages down, interesting reading.

I've used the elevator trick before, no point stopping an elevator in a 50storey building if it's full.

Sailing on Liberty out of Barcelona, next June. looking forward to looking forward to sailing on freedom sister since DryDock.

We sailed Freedom june2010.

Newbies: don't book a room over the bow! Stay aft.

If you like champagne, you can basically score a free glass every day if you go to the art auction previews. You don't even have to register for the auctions (even though that's free) just show up at the preview and sip while enjoying the art.

The Allure of the Seas has some great "secret" spots that aren't really secrets. At the back of the ship on Deck 5 there are chairs outside and we enjoyed watching port sail away from there. Also there are two balconies on either side of the ship above the aqua theater suites, they're great for watching sail away or the shows. Decks 11 and 12 all the way aft. The Sun Deck all the way forward on Deck 14 and only accessible from the port side is a quite spot since no one can seem to find it, the people in the Solarium will look down at you and wonder how to get there.

Also on the Allure, the Champagne Bar has a fantastic Scotch selection and some great champagne cocktails. They'll also bring you appetizers if you're there before dinner to enjoy a drink.

1. One of the most useful tips I have is to put a wash cloth in the slotted rack in the shower so your shampoo, conditioner, etc. doesn't fall through.

2. If you don't like the iced tea that they serve, request a glass of ice and a pitcher of hot tea to make your own. Also works if you prefer "sweet tea", just add your sugar to the pot.

3. On the Oasis there are "Small Wonders" throughout the ship that are fun to find. Not sure if I found them all but I tried.

I also want to thank whoever it was (sorry, I've been reading all 34 pages today) for suggesting the coffee table be removed for more room. I will definately have that done in December.

There are also Small Wonders on the Allure, I believe there are 16. They're so much fun!