Medical question ref: boiling water on ship

ceejilly

Does 'automatic shutoff' include unplugging the unit as soon as the coffee is done ??

The the OP: I would go with one of the plans that you know will work for

you absolutely. No maybe's. Sounds like the good planning you are doing

will help you to have a healthy and fun cruise.

Nope, unplugging doesn't count. The newer appliances have an auto shut off if the appliance is left on. The hot pots turn themselves off as soon as the water boils, and the new coffee makers have an auto shut off also. ;) I don't think remembering to unplug is actually considered an 'auto' shut off, as that would be a manual shut off.

I believe the need for the sterile water involves not just draining the bladder, but flushing/irrigating it at the same time. You would not want to introduce anything into the bladder that is not sterile. I'm sure the OP will be using disposable catheters. EM

Goodness, I have been overwhelmed by everybodies response to my problem. Just to respond to a few suggestions.......

. Distilled water is not the same as sterilised water I'm afraid.

. The catheters I use are sealed in a sterile sheath for one use only.

. Hot water from the tea/coffee machines is not boiling.

Apart from self catheterising during the day, which is not a problem. I also need to self flush my artifical bladder twice a day, that's the reason of requiring sterilised water. I wouldn't want to introduce anything other, just in case of infection. Thank you Essiesmom, you hit the nail on the head with your response.

Good news....I've just been in touch with Princess and my TA and they both advise me that it is permissable to board with a travel kettle as long as it's checked out at embarkation time. So I hope that problem I thought I had is no longer there and I can look forward to our first ever cruise next year without concern. Live the life.

Thanks again cruisers, your thoughts and responses are gratefully accepted.:)

I have MS and when I need an infusion the nurse comes in with disposable cathaters and lines and disposable steroid bags.

I know this is late as you have your tea kettle answer but this may be easier for you and take up less space in the luggage.....

Teri

Goodness, I have been overwhelmed by everybodies response to my problem. Just to respond to a few suggestions.......

. Distilled water is not the same as sterilised water I'm afraid.

. The catheters I use are sealed in a sterile sheath for one use only.

. Hot water from the tea/coffee machines is not boiling.

Apart from self catheterising during the day, which is not a problem. I also need to self flush my artifical bladder twice a day, that's the reason of requiring sterilised water. I wouldn't want to introduce anything other, just in case of infection. Thank you Essiesmom, you hit the nail on the head with your response.

Good news....I've just been in touch with Princess and my TA and they both advise me that it is permissable to board with a travel kettle as long as it's checked out at embarkation time. So I hope that problem I thought I had is no longer there and I can look forward to our first ever cruise next year without concern. Live the life.

Thanks again cruisers, your thoughts and responses are gratefully accepted.:)

I'm taking my

Cuisinart perfectemp cordless electric kettle

I belive it does get to boiling, but there are cheaper ones that do the same

Archived