Is this an upgrade? FF to C Promenade

jennynoel

Booked FF guarantee on Ms Zaandam for upcoming 14 day circle tour Hawaii.

Logged in today and our cabin assignment is C 3373. I have mixed feelings about the Promenade deck. Is it super noisy? Is the room nicer than an F room? Tell me the good and the bad, please!

:confused:

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

We've had several C categories before and think they are fine (Ryndam, Rotterdam, Veendam). In fact, you're opposite of what we have when we leave on Thursday - we have an FF this time in the bow - we're hoping waves will crash over the window but doubt it! Your view will be across the promenade deck through the railing however, not just directly to the water.

I've never heard noise from outside the cabin before though some will say they do. The main thing to remember is to close the drapes at night or you'll give a peep show to anyone on deck. During the day, the sheers should be fine - you really can't see in unless you put your hands and face up to the glass and I figure if people want to peep - they deserve what the get!

I'm sure your stateroom will be fine. We've done this itinerary twice but on Princess. I love the long sea days to and from Hawaii!

Enjoy your cruise!

Doug

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade are smaller than the outsides on the other decks. They also have easy access to the "largest veranda on the ship".

It's a trade-off.

I didn't check the deckplans for the location of your cabin, but if it's between the forward and mid-ship elevator banks, it's a great location.

I agree with Ruth, it is an upgrade in the sense that you have easy access to the Lower Prom deck. My hesitation is that most C cabins are fine, however, if you are on the port side just forward of the rear staircase you may be bothered by noise from the main galley which I believe is located just above that section. Having been below the main galley twice on the S class ships I can tell you that there is a lot of very early morning noise. Good if you are an early riser, not good if you are a light sleeper.

The outside cabins on Lower Promenade are smaller than the outsides on the other decks. They also have easy access to the "largest veranda on the ship".

It's a trade-off.

I didn't check the deckplans for the location of your cabin, but if it's between the forward and mid-ship elevator banks, it's a great location.

By ten square feet.

It's interesting that HAL's web site shows them to have 197sft, same as OVs.

The HH and DD cats were listed at 186sft when they were categorized "Inside" cabins. I doubt they've grown. :p

I booked a 186sft HH as an inside cabin a couple times back in the day. First time was on RVI in 1997.

I recently upgraded to DD380 on Zandaam for next April. :D

I LOVED the veranda deck, as Ruth said, you have the biggest balcony on the ship. It is so easy to get outside from your cabin, you can "set up" lounge chairs and small table right outside your window to enjoy the sea days, and during the day no one can look in as the windows are tinted, so no need to even worry about teh sheer curtains, they can't see a thing. In the evening the room steward will close them while you are out to dinner like they do with all cabins. I would choose this deck any time!

The HH and DD cats were listed at 186sft when they were categorized "Inside" cabins. I doubt they've grown. :p

They didn't shrink, either. They were already the same size as the other outsides on Lower Promenade, which is noticeably smaller than the insides across the passageway.

They were categorized as "inside" cabins due to the obstructed view. They were reclassified as "outside" cabins after there were constant CC references to them being special bargains.

Coincidence? Perhaps.

Logged in today and our cabin assignment is C 3373.

On the deck plan, it states that cabin 3373 has a "partially obstructed view".

The obstruction could be the end of a bulkhead, or a solid rail.

But the location seems perfect ... centrally located between the midship, and aft stairtower.

If I remember correctly from our tour of the galley, the starboard side is mainly the assembly and serving side of the galley. It should not be too noisy early in the morning, and during mealtimes you are likely to be out and about. On our next cruise we opted for starboard side further back below the dining room so are hoping for quiet mornings and late evenings.

We prefer FFs. A direct view of the sea rather than a view of the sea plus the deck plus people walking along the deck or standing directly outside the window. Also with an FF you don't have to draw the curtains at night. YMMV.

Cheers

I loved the promenade, didn't mind the shorter cabin as I was hardly ever there anyway, mostly just to sleep or change. I loved just going out the doors to the deck, awesome! If I can't afford to go a balcony price then this is my next pick.. On one cruise I was upgraded to the promenade from the dolphin deck and loved it so much I paid to move there from my dolphin deck cabin on the next cruise, never regretted it!

Jess

Right back at ya!

We were on the NCL Star in Hawaii and were packing on the last day, docked in Honolulu. I was sans clothing and we had a large round porthole window on the lowest passenger deck. I stood up and looked out the window as the bunker barge slowly sailed passed - two of the crew got a show they didn't expect and I didn't win a Tony! Thus I speak from experience.:)

Booked FF guarantee on Ms Zaandam for upcoming 14 day circle tour Hawaii.

Logged in today and our cabin assignment is C 3373. I have mixed feelings about the Promenade deck. Is it super noisy? Is the room nicer than an F room? Tell me the good and the bad, please!

:confused:

Jenny

I believe we also had booked an FF guarentee. If not an FF then it was an F. We got a partially obstructed C when the assignments came in. On our ship, none of the guarentee category we booked had partially obstructed cabins. I contacted my TA and asked if she thought this was an upgrade. It was my first cruise and I did not know. We would have surely gone with it, if we had to. However, she was very unhappy with this cabin assignment. She did not feel it was an upgrade. It took her two supervisors and lots of time, but she got us an E. She was told the ship was sold out and there was nothing they could do. She did not give up. They were trying to tell her the C was so much better. She told them if it was so much better, then to move someone else out of the FF and give us that cabin. In the end they gave us an E. We were thrilled as the the Es are mid ship and I am prone to seasickness. We checked out the area with the C cabins and we were very happy we didn't have to take it. We would have survived and still had a great cruise, but I was much happier with the E. I read so much on these boards that you don't need a TA. However, in my case, she earned her money in my mind and I was happy to have her. It was my first cruise and I was feeling my way through the process. We had a very good experience with her.

On the deck plan, it states that cabin 3373 has a "partially obstructed view".

The obstruction could be the end of a bulkhead, or a solid rail.

But the location seems perfect ... centrally located between the midship, and aft stairtower.

It looks to me from the best picture I can find that it might be some of those inflatable life-raft canisters stored along the railing.

If I remember correctly from our tour of the galley, the starboard side is mainly the assembly and serving side of the galley. It should not be too noisy early in the morning, and during mealtimes you are likely to be out and about.
We had 3385 on the sister-ship Amsterdam, and about once an hour, all night long, it sounded like someone rolled around a heavy cart with very bad wheels, and then dropped a couple of bowling balls!

On the deck plan, it states that cabin 3373 has a "partially obstructed view". The obstruction could be the end of a bulkhead, or a solid rail.
It looks to me from the best picture I can find that it might be some of those inflatable life-raft canisters stored along the railing.

2248745080099632937S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived