Cross Dressing on Formal nights

MrsCruiseBabe

I think he would get the same reaction he would get anywhere he went into a fine dining restaurant wearing a dress and lipstick, which is to say many or most would stare, and a few would pretend not to notice. I'd say at the table you'd get 50/50 of people who were nice to him and those who were made uncomfortable by him and/or refused to speak with him.

FWIW, I find it intriguing that if you asked if he could wear a suit jacket with a dress shirt and a tie, complete with polished black dress shoes, with jeans as pants, you would be unequivocally flamed and informed that this is not the "redneck jamboree". But take off the jeans and give him a dress and a tube of lipstick with no mirror to use in its application, and suddenly he's welcomed to every table.

Intriguing.

I wonder if it is the intent.

Does it really matter what I wear as long as I try? What if my "Sunday Best" was a pair of ironed jeans and a sport shirt? I always struggle with those questions. There are people in the world who can afford really nice stuff and there are people who can not. It does not make anyone any better than the other.

What if I were to where white tie to the MDR which is far above the requested dining attire? Would be I be looked down upon? Just wondering.

I think it depends how comfortable your BIL is with being the center of attention and with having people talk about him, because he will get a lot of attention.

On our last cruise there was a trans-gender woman. Now, I realize she was different from what your brother likes to do, but the point is, a lot of people were talking about her behind her back, and not in a nice way. People can be mean about people that are different.

If it were me, I would save the cross-dressing for private functions.

Just curious - Is this an RSVP charter cruise or a regular cruise?

If it's an RSVP Charter, none of the passengers would bat an eye -

- in fact, he might get some great makeup tips from the other "Ladies" and you'd probably have a great time too!

:)

In either case, as long as he meets the standard of dress appropriate to the gender he is personifying that evening - I'm certain he'll be fine.

Unless I missed it I see no mention from the OP that the gentleman is gay even though some posters seem to assume so. Does he cross dress all the time or very infrequently? If he indeed looks like he made himself up for halloween maybe a visit to the spa to learn proper makeup techniques would be worth considering.

Is he only planning to cross-dress on formal nights? If so, it might raise a few eyebrows because people either won't be expecting it or they aren't comfortable with the whole idea anyway. It's easy to be inclusive and tolerant on an internet message board but I think if a guy showed up in the MDR wearing a stunning frock, wig and bling I wonder how many people would be quite to "cool" about it. But whatever, if he's got the chutzpah to do it then good for him and I doubt he cares what other people think anyway. Good for him!

Is he only planning to cross-dress on formal nights? If so, it might raise a few eyebrows because people either won't be expecting it or they aren't comfortable with the whole idea anyway. It's easy to be inclusive and tolerant on an internet message board but I think if a guy showed up in the MDR wearing a stunning frock, wig and bling I wonder how many people would be quite to "cool" about it. But whatever, if he's got the chutzpah to do it then good for him and I doubt he cares what other people think anyway. Good for him!

This is the question I have too. The OP only asked about Formal Night so I'm wondering if that's the ONLY night he is cross-dressing? Or will he be cross-dressing the entire cruise? I do think it will make a difference as to how people react. If he is always in cross-dress then by formal night people will either be used to it or not but at least acknowledge how "smart" (hopefully) he looks in his formal wear. But if he's a regular joe the whole cruise and shows up in full gown and bling:eek: on Formal Night I'm not sure if they would think he was a cross dresser or just in costume for some reason. Hope that makes sense. As a gay man who's been known to wear a skirt or two in his day (never on a ship) I'd welcome him and the entire fabulous family to join me on a cruise anytime!:D I also agree maybe a trip to the salon for a "make-over" on formal night would be a great idea! Many women do it, why not him! If he has a wig he could even take it to the salon a few days early to leave to be styled! When you get back PLEASE let us all know how it went and we want to see the wonderful Formal Night pictures. HAPPY SAILING!

he is not what you would call a passing cross dresser........he kind of looks like its holloween with lots of lipstick. We love him;) and support his choice of dress.

Does he always dress and apply make-up like its Halloween? Or only at meal time?

My husbands brother is a cross dresser and wants to know if he would feel outta place dressing up on formal nights ????

It seems you will have LOTS of competition for table mates. :cool:

As long as he wears some sequins and lots of bling, he will fit right in. I would have no problem sharing a table with him as long as he had a sense of humour and didn't try to convert me to whatever religion he practises. He is lucky to have an accepting family like you.

Viva la difference !,

And yes, do save us from the "Blue-Noses", they deserve the sad lives they live.

S&xual preference (as some have alluded to) has no, zero, nil correlation to fashion preference.

"So it is, so let it be written"

However I would second the motion that he visit the Spa for a "consultation"

Or, with any luck, there will be a Friends Of Dorothy group onboard where he could visit for some pointers :rolleyes:

Odds are that he will be better turned out than many of the "traditional gender" in their gowns. ;)

Well, it is "As You Wish Dining", isn't it? :)

AMEN on the answer of the week ! !

Who writes your material ?

And I wonder if Seattle had this in mind when they adopted the nomenclature ? ? :confused:

As long ago as Shakespeare, the message was "To thine own self be true . . ."

And as contemporary as Star Trek, "Go boldly where no man has gone before . . . ."

Shake things up, Dance to a different tune, Dream every dream, the wisdom is everywhere, just "Let the Sun shine in . . . " :D

Wouldn't life be intolerably BORING if everyone were exactly the same ? ! ? !

Do tell BIL that staid old HAL has a bunch of CC'ers that encourage him, and want feedback after your fabulous cruise !

r.

Back in the mid 70s our friend Rosie owned a lounge in Chicago named the Blue Dahlia. Had the best female impersonation shows in the city. Singers, lip sinc, comedians etc. Some of these gals were downright gorgeous. Good friends and fine people.

So here's an interesting coincidence: amongst the first 12 thread titles on page 1 right now on the HAL board...........

"They do it so well so why would they change it?"
"For all cruisers to remember"
"Here's a picture you will not see very often"
"Dressing up on formal nights in specialty dining"

and finally

"Two more reasons to hate any time dining"

spooky :)

[quote name='dot73']As long as he wears some sequins and lots of bling, he will fit right in.:D [COLOR="Red"]I would have no problem sharing a table with him as long as he had a sense of humour and didn't try to convert me to whatever religion he practises. [/COLOR] He is lucky to have an accepting family like you.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="2"]I wish all tablemates fit that description!:cool:[/SIZE]

Interesting how open-minded everyone on this board is -- clearly not reflective of the country as a whole.

I really do not care what someone else does or wears as long as it does not put limitations upon what I do or wear.

That said, however, I do prefer attractive surroundings and courteous companions to ugliness and coarseness. Without imposing my taste on a table-mate, my personal preference would be that he/she not look as though he/she were made up for halloween ---- or, for that matter, ready for a fast-food meal at some roadside McDonalds: you know - muscle shirt, baseball hat on backwards, etc.

Ambience does count - just as I shouldn't impose my taste on other, those others should not uglify my surroundings.

[quote name='navybankerteacher']That said, however, I do prefer attractive surroundings and courteous companions to ugliness and coarseness. Without imposing my taste on a table-mate, my personal preference would be that he/she not look as though he/she were made up for halloween...[/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure many of 'the open-minded' posters on this thread would disapprove if I showed up at their table on formal night in a pirate costume. Why is it 'acceptable' to look like an idiot (and garner approval) if it involves transvestism?

[quote name='Bill B']I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure many of 'the open-minded' posters on this thread would disapprove if I showed up at their table on formal night in a pirate costume. Why is it 'acceptable' to look like an idiot (and garner approval) if it involves transvestism?[/quote]
As long as your sword was bedazzled I'm sure it would be just fine!:p

Archived