Language on the Marina

Deaf Dude

We are thinking of taking a Mediterranean Cruise on the Marina next year. i was wondering what language the crew spoke? Since it's not a US cruise, I would expect them to speak the local languages of the areas they scruise? What about shows and menus, etc? Although we have cruise the Caribbean 18 times, this would be our first cruise that far away from the US.

Oceania's crew and staff are international. Coming from many places around the world, some may have interesting accents and English may not be their first language. That said, we have never had a communication problem speaking English with anyone on board.

We are thinking of taking a Mediterranean Cruise on the Marina next year...

We did a Western Med trip this summer on Insigna and absolutely LOVED it. You will be very hard pressed to find another line that offers this caliber of service, food and ambiance. Good luck!

Deaf Dude,

On our Norway cruise this past July/August there was a group on board who signed their way through meals. This was 8-10 people who ate every meal together. It was most interesting to watch them talk although I did not eavesdrop on their conversations, not knowing how to sign myself. They looked like they were having a great time.

Since it's not a US cruise, I would expect them to speak the local languages of the areas they scruise?

Were you afraid the crew might change to different languages depending on where the ship is sailing?:)

Bruce

Thank you all for your replies. We will definately look into this cruise.

I am (almost) deaf but do not sign (I live in a hearing world-work, family etc.) I do lip read. I need closed captions to watch movies or t.v. I have a small amount of hearing for lower pitched sounds. I was not born deaf but have lost my hearing gradually since my early twenties.

Having said that, Oceania is a wonderful experience. All of the staff are quite patient and helpful if i ask for a repeat of a communcation, or ask someone to repeat the speaking to my husband, who does hear.

On our last O cruise there was even someone who was kind enough to write something that I just couldn't understand.

I don't think you will have any regrets and do think you will be happy with the friendliness and beauty of the ships and the people on them.

BTW, I bring my own DVD's (CC) to watch in our room. Not much was broadcast with CC on our last January cruise.

Hope to meet you sometime :)

Lynne

We are thinking of taking a Mediterranean Cruise on the Marina next year. i was wondering what language the crew spoke? Since it's not a US cruise, I would expect them to speak the local languages of the areas they scruise? What about shows and menus, etc? Although we have cruise the Caribbean 18 times, this would be our first cruise that far away from the US.

Others have already answered your concerns regarding languages spoken by the staff, but you also asked about menus and shows.

English is the language on board without exception. All the crew speak excellent English and you will have absolutely no problem. The shows, too, are in English as are all the menus and other printed material on board.

Remember, Oceania is an American cruise line and the ships are all registered in the Marshall Islands, an American protectorate.

Enjoy your cruise - and do not be concerned! :)

Archived