Snorkeling on your own

FLYER411

ummmmm ... I think I understand your question but I'm gonna re-arrange it and put it back to you.

You want to snorkel these sites using your own equipment, not using the nearby providers but want to know if there is a free place to safe guard your stuff ..... (sorry if I read too much into it)

hmmmmmm

these local providers might be able to rent you a locker .... for a cost

but when I beach snorkel, I don't take anything that's not water proof. My cruise card, my driver's lic' (picture) and a couple of $20 bills are water proof. I wrap 'em in a zip lock and stuff it in my shorts. The dive bag I leave on the beach, with a towel and my shoes/dry t-shirt, has never been touched in 20 years of experience.....

We've snorkeled at Cheeseburger reef, but it's been a few years. Very easy access. It was a bit of a swim out, but not strenuous. We swam out to where the tour operators took their groups. We just left our stuff (nothing valuable) on the shore where we entered the water. It was an easy walk from the tendering area.

• 1 month later...

We just came back from Grand Cayman last week, we brought our own snorkeling (and scuba) gear. In Grand Cayman we wanted to just snorkel having spent a fair amount on excursions on the rest of the cruise. We read a thread on here somewhere about a bar called Hammerheads that offered access to the Cali Wreck. Hammerheads is just up the beach from where the tenders drop you off. Come out of the tender dock area turn left and it it about 100 yards up the beach. They rent lockers $10 for all day and also rent snorkel gear if you need it $15/day. Their is a dive shop on the property that offers SNUBA and Helmet diving if you are interested in that, and a full service SCUBA shop next door.

The lockers were large enough to hold all our or gear bags, towels etc for both my wife and I. There are two ladders allowing easy access to the Cali wreck. (Cheeseburger Reef can be accessed as well, it is just north of the Cali. The Cali is about 200' off shore right in front of the bar and they have anchored a raft near the wreck that you are welcome to use.

As an added bonus the food at Hammerheads was excellent and they have the unique distinction of having their own rum distillery right on the property. My wife and I spent the day there, snorkeled 3 times and enjoyed a nice lunch. I would definitely recommend it. It was a safe, low cost way to enjoy the Cali Wreck and the surrounding reef.

We just came back from Grand Cayman last week, we brought our own snorkeling (and scuba) gear. In Grand Cayman we wanted to just snorkel having spent a fair amount on excursions on the rest of the cruise. We read a thread on here somewhere about a bar called Hammerheads that offered access to the Cali Wreck. Hammerheads is just up the beach from where the tenders drop you off. Come out of the tender dock area turn left and it it about 100 yards up the beach. They rent lockers $10 for all day and also rent snorkel gear if you need it $15/day. Their is a dive shop on the property that offers SNUBA and Helmet diving if you are interested in that, and a full service SCUBA shop next door.

I would definitely recommend it. It was a safe, low cost way to enjoy the Cali Wreck and the surrounding reef.

What was the "fish scene" like there? Lots of colorful tropical fish, or just a wreck to look at?

The lockers were large enough to hold all our or gear bags, towels etc for both my wife and I. There are two ladders allowing easy access to the Cali wreck. (Cheeseburger Reef can be accessed as well, it is just north of the Cali. The Cali is about 200' off shore right in front of the bar and they have anchored a raft near the wreck that you are welcome to use.

As an added bonus the food at Hammerheads was excellent and they have the unique distinction of having their own rum distillery right on the property. My wife and I spent the day there, snorkeled 3 times and enjoyed a nice lunch. I would definitely recommend it. It was a safe, low cost way to enjoy the Cali Wreck and the surrounding reef.

Good info. Haven't heard/read about this yet, I had seen about Eden Rock & Sunset House. Maybe DH & I could snorkel there, sounds nice. Lots of fish, etc?

A couple years ago we did walk to Hammerhead, they let us put our gear by a table as we were going to eat after snorkeling. Easy to get into the water, but that 200' is quite a swim and lots of boats going in and out, so we were not comfortable swimming that far out with boat traffic. We never made it to the wreck, but swam back and had a good lunch and drinks.

A couple years ago we did walk to Hammerhead, they let us put our gear by a table as we were going to eat after snorkeling. Easy to get into the water, but that 200' is quite a swim and lots of boats going in and out, so we were not comfortable swimming that far out with boat traffic. We never made it to the wreck, but swam back and had a good lunch and drinks.

Good to know.

Archived