RCI's Role in the Meet & Mingle Disappointing!

dongordon

We were on the Indy 6 night cruise in January and someone from our group contacted the ship and we did have a meet and mingle. I think we had to give our cabin numbers. It was the same as the 7 night ones with a person from the cruise directors staff and giveaways.

Just got off the Navigator TA and that was the first Meet and Mingle that we had mixed drinks and they also gave us Royal Reunion bags, visor hats and the usual note pad and pen. Tomorrow I go on the Explorer so I will see what they do. My only complaint on the Navigator was that they had something in the room right after us so we didn't have much time to mingle.

OOOHH -- details -- I need details (lol)! :p

Do you have any idea who was contacted on the ship, in order to arrange this? Thanks for the heads-up on this one!

I think it is something that varies from ship to ship, on Freedom they sent a very junior member of the cruise directors staff. We had a fantastic group and had a lot of fun, but the staff person they did just made fun of our groups t-shirts and my pirate hat. So we ditched him and had a good time in spite of him. On the Grandeur the group wasn't very lively but the Loyalty Ambassador came down and was very involved with the group. So I think it is really dependent on which ship you are on. I have noticed that the ships staff is more in touch with the passengers on the smaller ships then the mega ships.

Best M&M we had was one that was "unofficial". No games, no key rings given out, no drinks, no noshes. We fell below the 25 required so we planned our own M&M and had a blast meeting everyone we had "met" on our roll call. I agree with Carol (MerionMom). It isn't who comes to the M&M from RCI, it's about meeting fellow cruisers.

I agree, almost all the M&N I have attended, the people stayed in there little groups and hardly any one would talk to strangers LOL. I think many people at the M&M are new to cruising/travel. I guess most just wanted the, sometimes, basic freebies rather than meet other people. For us the Diamond lounge has been much more fun, the diamond level people seem to much more experience in travel and enjoy meeting more people.

Sorry:: off the original topic, but RC does not make the M&M great but help to get off to a good start(well most of the time, and they do have exact timing for each venue,

I agree, almost all the M&N I have attended, the people stayed in there little groups and hardly any one would talk to strangers LOL. I think many people at the M&M are new to cruising/travel.

I've experienced this too. Now, I wander around and introduce myself.

BTW, that's what made the Serenade M&M I mentioned earlier better than the others. Dennis and his staff did try to draw everyone out.

Introductions, really???? I experienced this on X and was not pretty and talk about boring, there were only about 30 of us and the CD made the mistake of having us tell a little about ourselves, ....do you know how many people sign up for the M&M without ever posting, but when given a mic will keep on talking and talking, I left after the third introduction 20 minutes after the first one.........I m pretty social and have worked the room at several different M&Ms...I have had people tell me they are just there for the food and prizes.

I have been at some M&MS with over 200 members and others where less than 25 show. Many where the Captain and CD have participated, other times just whoever on staff was available.

I certainly don't expect RCI to make sure I have fun, I think that is up to me. But with some of the duds that show up at the M&Ms, if the task was RCIs it would be pretty difficult.

When I suggested introductions I didn't mean that everyone should give a speech! That won't work but it doesn't take a couple of seconds to say "I'm SnrCroozer41...Jeff from Vancouver" and move on to the next.

That said, I do agree that many M&M members are gun shy and will be welded to their seats and not actively participate. It just isn't a perfect world.

Agree about the Diamond Lounge. More interesting people than the Concierge Lounge generally. But wouldn't miss the M&M - nice to see whose who!!!

But I'm naturally quite chatty!!

Agree about the Diamond Lounge. More interesting people than the Concierge Lounge generally. But wouldn't miss the M&M - nice to see whose who!!!

But I'm naturally quite chatty!!

Hey, I might only be "gold" but believe me, I can be as interesting as... as.. as.... diamond+ !! AND, I'm naturally chatty also :)

Hey, I might only be "gold" but believe me, I can be as interesting as... as.. as.... diamond+ !! AND, I'm naturally chatty also :)

Hi Bonnie,

Cruise, cruise, cruise and become a little diamonte:D:D Thing about the D Lounge is that its very intimate and easy to meet and chat.

Sorry if I came across sounding snobby about Diamontees - didn't mean it like that. Actually meant ...............oh never mind hehehehehe!!!

Hope we can cruise together sometime - and chat, chat, chat!!

Don, it's just my opinion, but I believe that you are looking a gift horse in the mouth.

On very few cruises have we had someone from the upper ranks attend our Meet 'n' Mingle. The M'n'M's are supposed to be about you and your fellow passengers, not about flattering the passengers' egos with attention.

Again, just my opinion.

Could not have said that better myself. And my experience has been 100% the same Merion Mom, thank you..

My wife and I went to our first M&M last cruise on the LOS in the Olive or Twist. The giveaways were cheesey name tag / pads, but we weren't expecting anything. The staff member leading it seemed somewhat nervous but did a good job passing the microphone and allowing us to introduce each other. The lounge was such that if you didn't get up and really move around, there wasn't much mingling. We're somewhat quieter but enjoyed the OJ and talking with the people seated near us.

And then.......the Chef Makers coordinator came and gave a presentation on the new program. For attending, everyone got a free session, worth $120 / person!

I would say even w/o the free session, we would have signed up again and have for our upcoming cruise!

Some M & M's are very successful and others are not. Considering RCCL/Celebrity originated the concept, other lines do it better.

Our coordinator had to go back numerous times and "beg" to have someone from the staff attend our gathering. We had one of the largest groups ever and still it was a struggle to get staff to attend. The staff attendees on our sailing were given gifts (t-shirts with the sail date of 10/28/10 East Coast Ghost Explorers) by our coordinator as a thank you for their participation.

However, on Celebrity it is handled very differently with the CD in attendance, a short q & a session and even a group photo being taken and made available for sale. The private business of gift exchange, slot pulls, etc. only takes place after the staff member has left. There is not the big push to vacate the room for another function since it is held close to lunch time when very little is happening.

As far as possible PR opportunities, RCCL does seem to miss the M & M's as an opportunity since you have all levels of passengers present more so than the Platinum/Diamond/Diamond + events. It is often the first impression of the line that first time passengers get. If RCCL shows that they value all levels of passengers, people go home with a favorable impression of the line and are more apt to recommend it to their friends/family. If no one comes from the line to attend the M & M, it shows a definite lack of interest since as it was pointed out there is no money/selling opportunity to be had by the line. Creating goodwill is as valuable if not more so than only revenue opportunities. You need to fill up the ships in the first place, then concentrate on the revenue.

If a first time passenger does not come away with a positive impression of their sailing from the very beginning, you have to do a lot more to "sell" them on recommending the line/or returning themselves.

From the moment you step on the ship, selling starts from the first to the last ship personnel you encounter. If you sponsor a M & M, some staff member needs to be present to host it and not only serve as a countdown clock to rush people out the door.

MARAPRINCE

Just completed the November 7th cruise on the Explorer of the Seas last week.

The Meet and Mingle meeting our group had was very disappointing (our group was fantastic), but the meeting was a dud.

We were well over 100, yet RCI did not indicate by the lack of major cruise officials present that we were an important group to meet with.

On NCL and Celebrity Roll Call Meetings on their ships, the meeting was attended by the Cruise Director, Captain or 2nd Officer, Food and Beverage Managers and other important officials of the ship.

They answered questions and each gave us their business card to contact them if we incurred any issues or requested any special requests (restaurant reservations, birthdays, etc.) during our cruise.

RCI provided the normal spread of beverages and eats and a few nominal cruise prizes and kind of rushed us out for the next scheduled event in the Maraghi Lounge.

Perhaps I have been spoiled by the interest shown to CC members on other cruise lines at these meetings, but in my opinion, RCI "missed the boat!"

Agree 100%. We have cruised Celebrity, NCL, and Royal Caribbean multiple times this year.

Our last Royal Caribbean was on the Oasis of the Seas on the 10/2 sailing. Royal Caribbean had 100+ Cruise Critic members on the cruise and sent JUNIOR CRUISE DIRECTOR STAFF to our meeting. We did not see an Officer, Hotel Director, Food and Beverage Manager, Front Desk, or SENIOR CRUISE DIRECTOR STAFF. We feel Royal is not putting much emphasis on Cruise Critic Meet and Mingles. As you said, Celebrity, and even more so NCL sends the top brass and hands out their Phone Numbers so you can call them with any concerns. Their goal is to make yo happy on the cruise, and correct any problems quickly, not read about the complaints on Cruise Critic. Adam Goldstien needs to pick up on this and get some attention on this matter. Royal looks bad compared to Celebrity and NCL and looks more like Carnival's Cruise Critic meetings.

Hi Bonnie,

Cruise, cruise, cruise and become a little diamonte:D:D Thing about the D Lounge is that its very intimate and easy to meet and chat.

Sorry if I came across sounding snobby about Diamontees - didn't mean it like that. Actually meant ...............oh never mind hehehehehe!!!

Hope we can cruise together sometime - and chat, chat, chat!!

I just think, us Gold cruises, sometimes get lost in the shuffle. Having said that, BMT from Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho,,...it would be my distinct pleasure to cruise with you :D My upcoming cruise in Jan will be our 4th with RCI. It won't be long now !! First up, Platinum.. then? the World! I wonder what new things Crown and Anchor has in store for us. hmmmm:confused:

I just think, us Gold cruises, sometimes get lost in the shuffle. Having said that, BMT from Badiddlyboing, Odawidaho,,...it would be my distinct pleasure to cruise with you :D My upcoming cruise in Jan will be our 4th with RCI. It won't be long now !! First up, Platinum.. then? the World! I wonder what new things Crown and Anchor has in store for us. hmmmm:confused:

One day I hope the pleasure will be one ..........................:D:D:D

If the Group Co-ordinator has any sense, they do send a photographer - always used to - not so much nowadays. Problem is, the organiser is usually not too interested!!

We feel Royal is not putting much emphasis on Cruise Critic Meet and Mingles. As you said, Celebrity, and even more so NCL sends the top brass and hands out their Phone Numbers so you can call them with any concerns. Their goal is to make yo happy on the cruise, and correct any problems quickly, not read about the complaints on Cruise Critic.

I'm finding this thread fascinating. I've been to a few M&Ms. They were exactly what I expected .. RC provided organization, a venue, a few hors d'oevres, and a facilitator so that a group of people can meet each other.

While RC should and I'm sure does honor and respect each pax no matter whether it is their first cruise or their fiftieth, I see no reason for RC to bend over backwards to hear the concerns/complaints of folks who have done absolutely nothing except sign up on a web site. The D/D+ folks have consistently bought cruises, and that is of value to RC. I'm not sure what being a Cruise Critic reader does for RC exactly.

Don't get me wrong .. I'm not disrespecting Cruise Critic or cruisers who enjoy the M&Ms (I do ocassionally). I just don't get why this group deserves more attention than we are getting.

Have had good Officer turn outs when someone in the group, preferably a D+ sends a Personal Invite to the Captain, Hotel Manager, etc. Otherwise it is usually the CD or one of his assistants.

Agree with early poster though, I go to meet and talk to those on the Roll Call. As long as the Roll Call members show up, it is a good gathering.

I don't take issue with no crew showing up.. at all. In fact, I think its odd that they do, and use the time to "sell us" on RCCL. I have never been to one, but from my understanding it was a venue, some free food and maybe 30-45min of chat.

BUT I do like the idea of having a group photo (as I said above)

I'm another one who goes just to meet everyone I've been "talking to" for the months before the cruise. It's fun when there's an enthusiastic staff member there to add a bit more life to the Meet and Greet process, but it's really just about us.

I do want to say that Dennis and his staff on the Serenade last September did host the best one I've ever been to.

Dennis and Staff did a great job in October also!

I'm finding this thread fascinating. I've been to a few M&Ms. They were exactly what I expected .. RC provided organization, a venue, a few hors d'oevres, and a facilitator so that a group of people can meet each other.

I'm not sure what being a Cruise Critic reader does for RC exactly.

Don't get me wrong .. I'm not disrespecting Cruise Critic or cruisers who enjoy the M&Ms (I do ocassionally). I just don't get why this group deserves more attention than we are getting.

What it does - very cleverly - is to provide a free survey of customer opinions:D:D Marketing surveys are very expensive this is free!! Most of us believe that these are read by HQ on a daily basis -and that some of the employees even post - shock horror!!

The M&Ms are just a cheap PR ploy to entertain and indoctrinate those who post - and the posts can be quite influential for cruisers seeking reviews of ships etc. Believe me, the cruiselines are not charities - if it didn't suit them to provide these activities, they wouldn't bother!!

We go because we like to meet our fellow cruisers.

Just completed the November 7th cruise on the Explorer of the Seas last week.

The Meet and Mingle meeting our group had was very disappointing (our group was fantastic), but the meeting was a dud.

We were well over 100, yet RCI did not indicate by the lack of major cruise officials present that we were an important group to meet with.

On NCL and Celebrity Roll Call Meetings on their ships, the meeting was attended by the Cruise Director, Captain or 2nd Officer, Food and Beverage Managers and other important officials of the ship.

They answered questions and each gave us their business card to contact them if we incurred any issues or requested any special requests (restaurant reservations, birthdays, etc.) during our cruise.

RCI provided the normal spread of beverages and eats and a few nominal cruise prizes and kind of rushed us out for the next scheduled event in the Maraghi Lounge.

Perhaps I have been spoiled by the interest shown to CC members on other cruise lines at these meetings, but in my opinion, RCI "missed the boat!"

Why do so many Cruise Critic members consider themselves part of an "important group"?....

This is a free forum that is open to anyone with a valid email address... Also, it's a very small (under 1%) percentage of the cruising public.

It's a nice place to exchange idea's and reviews but let's not get carried away by our importance......

Why do so many Cruise Critic members consider themselves part of an "important group"?....

This is a free forum that is open to anyone with a valid email address... Also, it's a very small (under 1%) percentage of the cruising public.

It's a nice place to exchange idea's and reviews but let's not get carried away by our importance......

Yup-

I'm sure Royal just love those who teach how to smuggle booze and work the system or should I say abuse the system for every freebie possible.:eek:

HERE HERE! Where is the Thumbs Up Icon when you need one!

As some else said....free publicity and cheerleading to get passengers reved up to book tours, participate in activities, shop on board, etc. -- translates into revenue.

Passengers have enticed other family members and friends to book a sailing based upon how active a M & M group is and where most of the members are from. People form good relationships on board and will come back to book with their CC friends on future cruises. And RCCL didn't have to do a thing to "sell" them on the next cruise! These "new" CC friendships continue long after the passengers have left the ship. Planning for another trip begins almost as soon as they get home. That's how valuable CC is to RCCL.

MARAPRINCE

We had our M&M for the Enchantment's Nov 18th 9-night cruise and I was pleased at the effort RCI put into it. Not only did Mo, the assistant CD attend and host it and have some very nice prizes as well as hors- d'ouerves, but Captain Rob attended, answered questions, and RCI took photos of all of us with the Captain. He also stayed to chat with anyone who wanted to ask any other questions. It was one of the nicer M&M's I've attended, and the first with the Captain. (The one I attended in May on the Explorer was a dud all the way around-- unfriendly people, an uninterested attitude by RCI, etc.) I was more disappointed with the less-than-friendly attitude of the other people in attendance, who didn't seem to want to meet and mingle. I tried to strike up conversations with some, but people were quite clique-y-- they were there for the food, prizes and raffle and most left as soon as all the prizes were given out! Oh well...:rolleyes:

Archived