What influenced you to decide to do your first cruise

The Fox

My first cruise in 1959 was a trial to see if I would get seasick. I wanted to do the overseas working holiday thing and the only way to get to Canada was by ship (flights were for the very rich). My trial was on Strathmore to Fiji for 10 nights or so. Came home hooked. Not that I remember there was much in the way of entertainment or facilities on board. My second cruise was to Vancouver, travelling on my own, with a supposed share SIX (strangers) to a cabin. Bathroom and toilet down the corridor. Turned out I had the cabin to myself for the whole trip.

Those early trips were more in the way of voyages not cruises, being between Australia, Canada, US, England, and return to Australia.

Cruising started again on the "chinese bucket" mentioned earlier by Debsta, the Mingua (spelling??). Fantastic jazz cruise in 1983. Have not stopped cruising and am presently anticipating my 30++ cruise, this time on HAL out of Rio de Janerio.

In the mid 50's our family used to travel every Christmas from Auckland to my visit my Grandparents in Central Otago. The only way to travel then was rail and overnight ferry from Wellington to Lyttleton then rail again. I always loved the overnight on what I thought was a big ship then, so I guess thats where my interest in cruising came from .

1984 we had time in between ventures to take a 3 month OE, so did the Cosmos Coach Tours ALL over Europe, and tied it in a voyage back to Auckland on Canberra. Canberra was still in the transition stage then , from a ship that provided transport , to one dedicated to just cruising for lesuire.

Since then , as time has allowed we have clocked up a few cruises , and are still going. I dont put them all in my signature , but for anyone interested heres the tally so far.....

1984..Canberra

1991...Canberra

1996...Oriana

1998...Arcadia

1999...Norwegian Star

1999...Norwegian Star

1999...Vision of the Seas

1999...Norwegian Star

2000...Superstar Gemini

2000...Regal Princess

2001...Aurora

2001...Oriana

2001...Pacific Sky

2001...Crown Princess

2002...Legend of the Seas

2002...Aurora

2002...Oriana

2002...Pacific Sky

2002...Pacific Princess

2003...Amsterdam

2003...SuperStar Leo

2003...Star Princess

2004...Aurora

2004...Queen Mary 2

2004...Norwegian Dream

2004...Tahitian Princess

2004...Pacific Princess

2005...Pacific Princess

2005...Statendam

2006...Seven Seas Mariner

2007...Oriana

2007...Seven Seas Mariner

2008...Rotterdam

2008...Rotterdam

2008...Dawn Princess

2009...Diamond Princess

coming up

2010...Diamond Pincess

2010...Diamond Princess

2011...Queen Mary 2

In the mid 50's our family used to travel every Christmas from Auckland to my visit my Grandparents in Central Otago. The only way to travel then was rail and overnight ferry from Wellington to Lyttleton then rail again. I always loved the overnight on what I thought was a big ship then, so I guess thats where my interest in cruising came from .

1984 we had time in between ventures to take a 3 month OE, so did the Cosmos Coach Tours ALL over Europe, and tied it in a voyage back to Auckland on Canberra. Canberra was still in the transition stage then , from a ship that provided transport , to one dedicated to just cruising for lesuire.

Since then , as time has allowed we have clocked up a few cruises , and are still going. I dont put them all in my signature , but for anyone interested heres the tally so far.....

1984..Canberra

1991...Canberra

1996...Oriana

1998...Arcadia

1999...Norwegian Star

1999...Norwegian Star

1999...Vision of the Seas

1999...Norwegian Star

2000...Superstar Gemini

2000...Regal Princess

2001...Aurora

2001...Oriana

2001...Pacific Sky

2001...Crown Princess

2002...Legend of the Seas

2002...Aurora

2002...Oriana

2002...Pacific Sky

2002...Pacific Princess

2003...Amsterdam

2003...SuperStar Leo

2003...Star Princess

2004...Aurora

2004...Queen Mary 2

2004...Norwegian Dream

2004...Tahitian Princess

2004...Pacific Princess

2005...Pacific Princess

2005...Statendam

2006...Seven Seas Mariner

2007...Oriana

2007...Seven Seas Mariner

2008...Rotterdam

2008...Rotterdam

2008...Dawn Princess

2009...Diamond Princess

coming up

2010...Diamond Pincess

2010...Diamond Princess

2011...Queen Mary 2

Gee, David - 2006 & 2009 were quiet years with only one cruise:p

Cruising started again on the "chinese bucket" mentioned earlier by Debsta, the Mingua (spelling??). Fantastic jazz cruise in 1983.

Hi Pacificlover & Debsta

I don't know if you know but the Mingua still exists (albeit not as a cruise ship). She forms part of Sea World Plaza in Shentnen (spelling), China. They towed her into a dock and then backfilled earth around her seaward side and constructed a Golf Course.

They apparently filled and landscaped right up to her hull so she looks like she is sailing in the centre of a park (very unusual) and then created an artificial lake around her stern. She had a fire on board some years ago but has been restored and provides accommodation, restaurants and shops.

Jenny

Hi Pacificlover & DebstaI don't know if you know but the Mingua still exists (albeit not as a cruise ship). She forms part of Sea World Plaza in Shentnen (spelling), China. They towed her into a dock and then backfilled earth around her seaward side and constructed a Golf Course.They apparently filled and landscaped right up to her hull so she looks like she is sailing in the centre of a park (very unusual) and then created an artificial lake around her stern. She had a fire on board some years ago but has been restored and provides accommodation, restaurants and shops.

Jenny

Thanks for that info Jenny.

Very interesting. I did a Google image search on Sea World Plaza at Shenzen , and there are some neat pics of the ship sitting there.

Archived