Your favorite place for dinner near the cruise dock

lovevacadays

• 3 weeks later...

We ate at Steak and Ribs in Rif Fort. It was fairly good. If you dock at the Mega Pier, you'll be right there. It's not cheap, but nothing in Curacao is, especially in or near Rif Fort! My husband loved the steak (Argentinian) he had there. My salmon was quite good.

Just so you know: There are actually two docks in Willemstad, although it's a fairly easy walk from one to the other. Both are on the Otrobando side, but one is closer to the pontoon bridge, and the other is over by Rif Fort. We were there on our own, staying in Rif Fort, and I kept seeing signs "To Cruise Ships." That confused me, as the map I had at first only showed one cruise dock - located in the opposite direction. It turns out that the signs in Rif Fort were pointing us to the Mega Pier. A few days later 2 Holland ships pulled in - one at the Mega Pier and one at the cruise dock above the pontoon bridge. Willemstad isn't all that big, and your cruise ship will probably tell you which dock you're at, but just in case it's confusing, I thought I'd post this info! Mega Pier is way at the bottom of Otrobando and the "Cruise Terminal" is up towards the large car bridge.

Both are good locations and have restaurants near by, especially Mega Pier. Mega Pier is a little farther from the pontoon bridge and Punda, but should be walkable for most people.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
... the ship's dining room. it doesn't cost extra, the food is good, i can remain as long as i want without worrying about missing the ship, i can clean up before dinner from whatever i was doing that day, it's a very short walk from my cabin, etc. ;):D

Ha Ha Ha , I agree .

• 2 weeks later...
... the ship's dining room. it doesn't cost extra, the food is good, i can remain as long as i want without worrying about missing the ship, i can clean up before dinner from whatever i was doing that day, it's a very short walk from my cabin, etc. ;)
The more I read about the pricing/costs in Curacao, I'm beginning to think that the MDR onboard ship IS the best option!!:)

Followed by a few evening 'drinkies' on our aft balcony, watching the sunset.. :D;)

Curacao isn't expensive

I was just going to say that! After being in Grand Cayman, Aruba and other islands I do have to emphasize that Curacao is by no means expensive! Do we have expensive restaurants and shops over here? Certainly. But they are NOT the majority.

With some better research you will reach the same conclusion...

With some better research you will reach the same conclusion...
I'm guessing I should clarify my remark..:o I no longer get off the ship in Grand Cayman.. TOO expensive..! :eek:

Have never been to Aruba or Curacao, but from looking at excursions available, they are more expensive than what would be found in Roaatan, Cozumel, Belize or Costa Maya in general!..:( Apparently the 'southern caribbean' stops must be a tad more $$ than the norm..

Please correct me if I am mistaken!:)

Remember: I was comparing a FREE dinner in the MDR of the ship to a mention of a 'pricey' restaurant in Curacao..

I agree the prices in Curacao are not out of line and a lovely dinner ashore is something we look forward to. If you are lucky with beautiful weather, the outstanding views from many restaurants, the nice people and delicious food.......

Outstanding.

IMO

I agree the prices in Curacao are not out of line and a lovely dinner ashore is something we look forward to. If you are lucky with beautiful weather, the outstanding views from many restaurants, the nice people and delicious food.......

Outstanding.

IMO

I love to eat on the beach or at the bar at the former Hooks Hut...now Pirates Beach. They have the best bittenballen (on the island) and onion soup ( in the world). Chicken wings are good too...and if you are there at Happy Hour...they give everyone a small bowl of warm peanuts. All goes well with a few of your favorite adult beverage. My ship will be there until 11:00 and that is where I am going to park it. They also have a full menu of other stuff, which I have had numerous times, ...the above is my favorite. the sunset there is fabulous.

Hi Curacao Queen!! We should be entrepreneurs down there. Trying to talk a guy (Dutchman) into doing this, but he claims he is moving back to Holland. Oh well. icon7.gif

Hey Curacao, when are you cruising there again? Airfares are high right now, don't know if we'll make it there this year, looking at fall though.

Heck we could be tourist guides there.

Hey Curacao, when are you cruising there again? Airfares are high right now, don't know if we'll make it there this year, looking at fall though.

Heck we could be tourist guides there.

I will be there in Jan. 2013. when I went to Curacao this past July, I got a round trip ticket for $600., which is a dang good deal. It was cheaper than going to Cozumel from Houston.

We could be two really good tourist guides...and you can have the Porto Mari run.... I will take the rest. There are sooooooo many good beaches there and it is just hard to tell people how to get around. I like Playa Lagun just for the great snorkeling they have right there...but how do you tell people over CC how to get there??? I did not have a car for the 1st 3 weeks I was there but then I had to have a car, per boss. Then I got lost...getting from Picadera Bay area to Riffort. (Picture that...a straight shot down the coast line and I got lost !!!) So, I understand those issues.. LOL. There are so many places to eat and beach it and whatever but I do miss that stuff sometimes, but I am sure glad to be home. Been back 3 years this month and there is not a day goes by that I do not think about Curacao. My boss thinks I am crazy...but then again..I may be. LOL

wish I had to money to pay their government to work there. We could teach them and show them new stuff. It will all come together one day down there. their government is confusing right now, but somehow they have survived years with confusion. Still love it tho' !!!

Just put your toes in the sand and look towards the water !! Beauty.

I love to eat on the beach or at the bar at the former Hooks Hut...now Pirates Beach. They have the best bittenballen (on the island) and onion soup ( in the world). Chicken wings are good too...and if you are there at Happy Hour...they give everyone a small bowl of warm peanuts. All goes well with a few of your favorite adult beverage. My ship will be there until 11:00 and that is where I am going to park it. They also have a full menu of other stuff, which I have had numerous times, ...the above is my favorite. the sunset there is fabulous.

I printed this post and it's going in my 'cruise file' for our next visit to Curacao.

Thanks.

We've been visiting Curacao for at least 25 years and it keeps getting better and better IMO. :)

The person looking for a romantic spot for dinner on Valentine's Day should book at Pirates Bay. If you make reservations in advance, they'll deck a table for two on the pier and you feel like the sunset has been ordered just for you two... Ultra romantic!

Even "just" dinner on the beach with your toes in the sand is romantic...

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend Restaurant & Cafe Gouverneur de Rouville in Willemstad, Otrabanda side. Great service and very good food. We had a table for two on the "verandah" overlooking Punda.

Unfortunately, I do not recommend Pirate's Bay. It's a neat location, but that was by far our worst meal the week we vacationed in Curacao.

Here's a picture of our view from our table and the restaurant:

f7a96621.jpg

30a46127.jpg30a46127.jpg

I will be there in Jan. 2013. when I went to Curacao this past July, I got a round trip ticket for $600., which is a dang good deal. It was cheaper than going to Cozumel from Houston.

We could be two really good tourist guides...and you can have the Porto Mari run.... I will take the rest. There are sooooooo many good beaches there and it is just hard to tell people how to get around. I like Playa Lagun just for the great snorkeling they have right there...but how do you tell people over CC how to get there??? I did not have a car for the 1st 3 weeks I was there but then I had to have a car, per boss. Then I got lost...getting from Picadera Bay area to Riffort. (Picture that...a straight shot down the coast line and I got lost !!!) So, I understand those issues.. LOL. There are so many places to eat and beach it and whatever but I do miss that stuff sometimes, but I am sure glad to be home. Been back 3 years this month and there is not a day goes by that I do not think about Curacao. My boss thinks I am crazy...but then again..I may be. LOL

wish I had to money to pay their government to work there. We could teach them and show them new stuff. It will all come together one day down there. their government is confusing right now, but somehow they have survived years with confusion. Still love it tho' !!!

Just put your toes in the sand and look towards the water !! Beauty.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about Curacao either, I miss the friends we have there. Funny getting lost from Pisacadera to Riffort, how much more can that straight line be, LOL

Not a day goes by that I don't think about Curacao either, I miss the friends we have there. Funny getting lost from Pisacadera to Riffort, how much more can that straight line be, LOL

My memories exactly. Those roundabouts got me the 1st week or so. but I learned to "follow the coast line..stupid" LOL... Actually that 1st day I ended up in Colon area. In July I took my daughter there as she no longer has a colon. she spotted a "snack shack" called "Colon Supermarket". She took several pictures and picked out the best one and had it blown up poster size and gave it to her Dr. He now has that picture in his waiting room... It states Curacao on it and patients all ask him where Curacao was. He had to look it up..!!! So more people are learning about Curacao everyday.

I have attached a Christmas dive picture at The Dive Bus.

Wish I was there diving today.icon9.gif

221208011.jpg.0c5c737aa1a03c6ccf87ebfdae401bed.jpg

My memories exactly. Those roundabouts got me the 1st week or so. but I learned to "follow the coast line..stupid" LOL... Actually that 1st day I ended up in Colon area. In July I took my daughter there as she no longer has a colon. she spotted a "snack shack" called "Colon Supermarket". She took several pictures and picked out the best one and had it blown up poster size and gave it to her Dr. He now has that picture in his waiting room... It states Curacao on it and patients all ask him where Curacao was. He had to look it up..!!! So more people are learning about Curacao everyday.

I have attached a Christmas dive picture at The Dive Bus.

Wish I was there diving today.icon9.gif

What a cute picture, I'm really thinking about going in Sept. Funny story about ther doctors office, we need to keep Curacao a secret though.

Archived