ZUIDERDAM SUNFARER NOV 13-23 The rest of the story

AZNative2000

Forgot to mention, in part one, our superhero room steward … “Dadang”. He not only took care of us working solo (our previous room stewards had been a team), he met all our special requests like finding me a firm feather pillow (he found two). All his towel animals were perfect, except he wouldn’t let us keep them.:) Moving on …

Day 5: We were awakened by the slowing as we approached Willemstad, Curacao, we anticipated docking along the street of overtly colorful buildings but, instead, found ourselves docked in more of a commercial and tourist shopping area.

As was habit, we ate breakfast in the Pinnacle, again served hot tasty food by the great group working there.

Like Aruba, we had planned nothing but going to the beach but that darned on-board excursion presentation got us again. Never having considered it before and being completely smitten with the idea, we signed up for “Swimming with the Dolphins”. Now, for you Floridians, this had nothing to do with members of any pro football team.;) But for animal lovers like us, it pushed aside (for just a minute) the canal as the best part of our cruise. Besides, the canal was still two days away.

Off the ship and onto a large van-taxi that moved through the insane Curacao traffic easily, I was reminded of “The Amazing Race” (TV show) as our driver navigated that obstacle course in the driving rain. I was impressed by the grooved roofs that allowed the water to run off every building quickly and into the rivers on every street. Over the bridge and through tiny streets of all description, we soon found ourselves at “The Dolphin Institute”. As we got out of the van, the rain stopped like someone had turned off some huge valve.

Directed inside, we were met by a trainer and required to fill out an ominous set of forms having to do with safety and the dangers of swimming in a seawater lagoon with wild animals. Had I given thought to the words on the paper, I might not have gone through with it but believing I was at least as competent as most of the others (like the 10-12-year-old girl whose mom signed for her) I signed. The trainer then showed a short video about do’s and don’ts for interacting with the dolphins. Do relax, don’t wrestle etc.

We then went to the lagoon. Once fitted with huge fins, we got into the water. The water was NOT warm so it took a couple minutes to acclimate. We were then (group of four) introduced to Romeo and Rina. As they swam near us we were told what to do for the various tricks. We were also reminded of how to approach them.

Soon enough I was cruising along petting Rina who swam around me in a circle as I petted her. Watch that blowhole or you can get a face full of water.:eek: Before it was over, we all had received a kiss, a dance, a song, and a ride from our new friends. (Time spent in the water with them was about 30 mins.) The photos and DVD added to the expense but were very well worth it to us.

Later the trainers and dolphins put on a Sea-World type show that was spectacular. Unlike Sea-World, we were all very close to the lagoon as the tricks were performed.

The ride back to the ship was through the same narrow streets but with the sun shining and the skies remained clear the rest of the day allowing time off the ship for those who wanted it. We did a bit of shopping and returned in time for a late lunch. (More eating!) As always, sailaway was spent on our aft verandah, this time watching as Willemstad faded from view but never from memory.

Day 6: Another sea day and second formal night. We started it with a late Pinnacle breakfast, lingering to give our excellent room steward time to make our room perfect once more. The morning was spent finishing the book I’d started weeks before. I recommend “The Path Between the Seas” to anyone going to the Panama Canal. The live views in the canal bring the monumental tasks and hardships brought forth in the book to life.

At mid-afternoon (as we had arranged through our concierge) we hosted a “high tea” for some CC friends we had met on board. While, perhaps, not an “official” high tea, it was great fun having teas, sweets, and hors d’oeuvres (including cucumber sandwiches) on the aft balcony on a (relatively) calm afternoon, the clear skies, blue sea, and sound of the wake providing the perfect backdrop.

When I’d asked the concierge to set this up, he happily told me it would be taken care of but … he thought we should have more. So, another tray arrived with the tea. It held hot hors d’oeuvres for four including wings with teriyaki sauce, and shrimp skewers. When we ran out of hot water the phone call brought more in record time. By the time we had finished, we were happy we had made late dinner reservations.

Dinner was at Canaletto, the Italian restaurant. We dressed formally, though we didn’t have to. (No one complained.:D) Some others were formally attired and some were “smart casual” and still others were in “Lido casual”. The food was very good and so was the service. This restaurant takes over one of the cooking areas of the Lido when it is open and has a limited (Italian only) menu.

After dinner, we visited the Queens Lounge for part of the Classical Concert with the string quartet and then on to the Vista for the late main show. We didn’t stay to the end as we knew the next day would be very long and start very early. Happily, they gave us an extra hour to sleep because the clocks had to be set back an hour before morning. We set a 4:45am wake-up call and went to sleep. (Aren’t those beds great!?)

Next up … the longest day … the world’s greatest shortcut.

P.S. - I will add that to this thread when done.

I am enjoying your review. Willemsted is one of my favorite stops. I just love the Island of Curacao. I much prefer it to Aruba. When one is on a ship that leaves Curacao at Midnight, the ship is sent off with a beatufiul fire works display. The Zuiderdam leaves to early and this is necessay to reach the Panama Canal at 5:00 AM the morning after the Sea Day.

At mid-afternoon (as we had arranged through our concierge) we hosted a “high tea” for some CC friends we had met on board. While, perhaps, not an “official” high tea, it was great fun having teas, sweets, and hors d’oeuvres (including cucumber sandwiches) on the aft balcony on a (relatively) calm afternoon, the clear skies, blue sea, and sound of the wake providing the perfect backdrop.

When I’d asked the concierge to set this up, he happily told me it would be taken care of but … he thought we should have more. So, another tray arrived with the tea. It held hot hors d’oeuvres for four including wings with teriyaki sauce, and shrimp skewers. When we ran out of hot water the phone call brought more in record time. By the time we had finished, we were happy we had made late dinner reservations.

I have been waiting and WAITING for someone to review high tea on an aft balcony! I think that I saw it once in Duck Duck Cruise's review, but not since. Glad to hear that it was handled with such ease.

I am wondering if we should try to switch our early fixed seating to late just for high tea and evening hors d'oeuvres! (hoping you did white linen in-room dining) *fingers crossed*

Thanks again for sharing your trip with us. :)

I have been waiting and WAITING for someone to review high tea on an aft balcony! I think that I saw it once in Duck Duck Cruise's review, but not since. Glad to hear that it was handled with such ease.

I am wondering if we should try to switch our early fixed seating to late just for high tea and evening hors d'oeuvres! (hoping you did white linen in-room dining) *fingers crossed*

Thanks again for sharing your trip with us. :)

I can't imagine attending early seating (5:30 or 6pm) after our "tea". I was just beginning to get hungry as we were seated in the Canaletto at 7:30. Didn't eat much antipasti or soup that night. And felt guilty for eating dessert after the mini creme puffs, cake pieces, truffles, and other sweets we'd already had.:D

So sorry ... no white linen in-room dining. I'm not even sure what that is, exactly, let alone how to organize. Any help for next time?:):)

Hi again, AZNative2000 and Sailkeywest. Yes, we did "course by course" room service dinner in 5190 Zuiderdam, on the balcony, and were delighted.

Arranged it through the concierge. Since it was room service, we were able to pick our time (dinner had to be ordered within 30 minutes of the MDR opening, but could be delivered any time).

So, if you normally want to eat early, perhaps just do tea that same day? Then, a later dinner?

I agree when you take advantage of tea or hors d'oeuvres, early dinner comes too soon.

Once more, I am reminded that I left something out. After the Curacao sailaway (day 5) and dinner that night, the show in the Vista was the best of the cruise. The act was “Island Magic” and is a steel drum band but unlike any you have ever heard. They played classical, Broadway (from Phantom and Evita), and others. The early show was so full we had to sit on the wood boxes at the end of a row in the third level. There were people sitting on the stairs! For the second show (HAD to go again!!) we arrived early and sat on level one. It was SRO. With encores, this group got standing ovations several times.

The BONUS for all you Sunfarers in December will be that the cruise director said they will play Christmas music on those cruises. Don’t miss them!

On to the Canal…

Day 7: (Wake-up call!) The phone rang at 4:45am and I’d already been awake, up, and on the balcony. From our vantage point, through the darkness we could see 15-20 other ships gathering to line up for passage through the Gatun Locks, some to port some to starboard and some aft. The weather was warm and humid, even early, and there was very little wind. The canal-pilot boat delivered our driver. Ahead we could see the lights of Panama.

It was good that the Lido opened for full breakfast at 5:30. We were there on the tick. After our omelets, Panama rolls and coffee, we hurried to the deck four door to the bow. It was to open at 6am. Arriving at 5:50, we found it already open and about 100 people already camped by the railing. (Surprisingly, they did not allow access to the front decks on floors 5 or 6.)

After some moving around I found a good spot for video and settled in. Over the next hour or so, I was able to get the makings of what will be a pretty good DVD as the Zuiderdam moved up to and into the first of the three Gatun Locks. It was interesting to see the one-lane traffic bridge that extends across the lock entrance while the lock doors are open and the line of cars and trucks waiting for their synchronized chance to dash across the canal between ships. The visual difference in vehicle sizes between the tiny cars and giant ships is amazing.

Many oohs and ahhs from the passengers as the bow lines were attached to the “mules” (those electric train engines that guide the ship). The same set of mules stayed with us through the whole process and kept us from bumping the sides. Once Ms. Z stopped inside the lock, I scurried to our cabin and out onto our balcony. From there, we could watch those huge doors close and the waterline climb as well as the next ships waiting for their turns. (I was sorry that we saw no other cruise ships there.) The closest to us was a car-carrying transport ship.

After the lock was filled, the front doors opened and we moved ahead VERY slowly. The “mules” moved with us like a well-orchestrated dance and shortly we were in lock #2. Of course the photographers from the ship had made their way to good vantage points ashore and were taking pictures of everyone on their balconies and the railings. Unfortunately, the photo printer on the ship had broken and no photos were on display the whole week! If you wanted a photo you had to buy the e-version. I guess you could buy the DVD as well.

The lock process continued until lock two was half full and then all canal operations STOPPED.:eek: It was not until then that we noticed an ambulance on the road near the lock and the crew of firemen carrying a gangway along the edge of the lock. (happy to have that side balcony) Sure enough, the gangway was shoved over to the ship, way up front, and at least one gurney was brought off the ship and taken to the ambulance. Others got off too and we never did hear exactly what happened other than speculation. But, after the ambulance left, the gangway was removed and the lock finished filling.

The experience through the third lock was uneventful and soon we had to pack up and head for the Vista Lounge as that was the assembly point for our shore excursion. We had booked the “Canal Experience to Colon”. We wanted to finish the transit to the Pacific. As the ship “parked” about 500 gathered for their excursions and were assigned into groups for tendering. The day was clear, warm, and muggy and there would be no canceling excursions today.

(We recommend this tour to everyone BUT a word of advice … sounds silly … bring a couple of the beach towels offered as you get off the ship (you might need them anyway) or a sweatshirt. The bus we rode had a freezing cold air conditioner and many of us were miserable on the bus. Especially after hours on the boat wearing shorts in warm-muggy conditions and then stepping into the ice box bus.)

Tendering to shore, we were met and led to our bus. We rode for over an hour to the launching point for the smaller boat we would ride through the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores Locks.

This boat was probably 120 by 50 feet (guess) and had two decks. It was covered but not air-conditioned. It DID have bathrooms. With the overcast and slight breeze, it was fine but I am happy it wasn’t baking sun the whole time. They served a small lunch on the boat and had free colas and bottled water. Of course they had souvenirs for sale and, a heads up, they got cheaper as the day went along.

The experience in the locks aboard this boat was completely different than on the Zuiderdam. In the first lock we were tied next to a tug. A medium-sized freighter (also tied to a tug) shared the lock. I got to shake hands with a man on the tug who spoke English. In the second and third locks the boat tied right to the side of the lock, you could reach out and touch the inside of the lock (wet concrete, mossy in places, woo hoo!). Behind us in the lock was a giant transport ship, made for great photos.

As the last lock doors opened and we, once again, found ourselves at sea level, we were riding out into the Pacific Ocean. How cool is that? 45 miles and 52 million gallons of water later and here we are cruising into Panama City. In front of us are many ships anchored and awaiting their turns for passage.

After docking on the edge of Panama City, we got back on the same bus for our ride back across Panama to rendezvous with Ms. Z once more. The ride across the main highway was uneventful once past the city rush hour traffic.

Arriving back at the Z, we found her docked in a very rough looking area with barbed wire on top of the fences but as we walked from the bus to the ship we, once again, passed through a large building with lots of stuff for sale.

Back aboard, we returned to our suite for showers and sailaway, called room service, poured some wine, and sitting on our balcony counting ships at anchor awaiting tomorrow, reflected how in just one day, we had traveled clear across Panama from Atlantic to Pacific, TWICE, once by water and once by bus, and how truly amazing it was.:)

We were so tired that “Showtime” had to go on without us. Our wish for more time to sleep was, again, granted as we got to turn the clock back another hour before we got to Costa Rica the next morning. We knew that 7am tour time would arrive quickly. ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Day 8: Another early wake-up call, this one at 5:30am. Arrival in Port Limon was at 6:30 but we had to get breakfast and be in the Vista Lounge at 6:45am for our Tortuguero Canal excursion. Happily the Lido opened at 5:30.

This bus had no a/c problems and we were whisked through a hard rain to the canal boat docks. The boats were covered but not enclosed so the seats were getting wet. Thank goodness for CC members who told us to bring disposable ponchos (got ours at the dollar store). The hour-long canal ride showed very tropical scenery but not much wildlife as the animals were hiding from the driving rain. When the rain stopped, our ride was almost over. We did see a bit of wildlife but more on the bus ride back. After the boat ride, we got a buffet snack and some live music and, of course, the chance to buy more stuff.:)

On the bus again, at a stop sign, we found a sloth in a tree right outside our window and later some howler monkeys in a tree on the other side of the bus. On the way back to the ship, we stopped at a banana packing plant.

Back at the ship, we found the Celebrity ship Equinox still parked alongside. We had time for picture taking and shopping at the port before we climbed aboard for our (tears) last sailaway. The next time we’d be off the ship would be back in Florida.

The evening was spent dining in the MDR and retiring early. It had been another very full day.

Day 9: A sea day. We, of course, “lost” one of the hours as the clocks were set forward to start the day. With nothing planned we were able to return to the Pinnacle for our breakfast. After that we met onboard friends for trivia and added to our pin collection. Later, DW took advantage of one of the spa specials and attended the towel creations class and I was completely lazy.

Our last formal evening was in the MDR, dining with some onboard friends. We all dressed formally and saw very few folks who didn’t. As we missed the early show, we sat and listened to the string quartet until the late one. Didn’t make it to the Black and White Officers Ball.

Colleen, we never did get to use one of those “honeymoon tables” in the MDR but we did see them. One very formally dressed couple had champagne on ice and very attentive waiters. Pretty romantic.

Day 10: At sea … our (sob) last day was filled completely, very busy and very fun, starting with our Pinnacle breakfast (we would eat there three times today). After breakfast we sought out everyone who had served us there and presented the envelopes to them. (Go ahead and flame me.)

Next, we went to the disembarkation meeting and the crew show in the Vista Lounge. After that, it was back to the room to fill out forms and change into smart casual attire for our Indonesian Lunch (back at the Pinnacle). After being photographed with the Captain, we were served a fabulous 3-course lunch by the Pinnacle stewards who were wearing attire from their homeland. It was another wonderful suite perk and they even had chosen good wine.

After lunch we went to the “free cruise” and $100,000 bingo event. Surprise, we won neither. We then stayed in our seats for the encore matinee performance of “Island Magic”. We were treated to another hour of their wonderful music.

The end was near. Back to the room to pack. Another suite perk is being able to keep your bags until 6am on debarkation day rather than putting them out the night before.

We had reservations at the Pinnacle for our last evening. The filet was a bit overdone but replaced instantly with a new one when I told our server. He stood by while I sampled the new one and left only when I assured him it was perfect. While they had run out of some items we were not shortchanged on our dining experience. (Still had shrimp and good wine.) After dessert we wandered off to the Vista for the encore shows of the magician and comedian we’d missed earlier in the week. Then, though we didn’t want to, we returned to our suite to finish packing.

Day 11: The Florida coast was visible through the early darkness as we put the last items into our checked luggage just before 6am. Watching our entry into the harbor from the balcony was bittersweet but short-lived. The Pinnacle opened at 6:30 and we weren’t about to miss our last chance there. Saying goodbye to the Pinnacle crew was hard but saying goodbye to all those we met on the ship as we all waited in the Queens Lounge or in the hall was harder.

All too soon we were on shore being directed to our bags and our bus. As our flight didn’t leave until 5pm we enjoyed a tour by bus and boat of the Ft. Lauderdale area before being dropped at the airport for our flight back to Arizona shared with another CC couple.

Hope you all enjoyed reading about our cruise and will be nice enough to NOT BOOK cabin 5191 on any cruise we take in the future. Thanks!:D:D

We were given cabin F 1006 per guarantee. Does anyone have any info regarding location, deck 3 activity above or noise from vista lounge?? Our 30th cruise and never been upgraded!!! Please excuse if I've posted in wrong area..

Absolutely delightful review :):).

Sounds like you were well pleased with your suite choice....hmmm not sure when we'll 'suite sail' again ..but if we are on the same cruise can we come for wine and a little peek for old times sake ?

We're a nice couple (I think;)) we won't stay long.. oh ...and we'll bring the wine:D

Thanks so much for your detailed review. We leave on Thursday for our Friday departure on the Zuidy can't wait!

We will look for your review after. Have a great time.

We were given cabin F 1006 per guarantee. Does anyone have any info regarding location, deck 3 activity above or noise from vista lounge?? Our 30th cruise and never been upgraded!!! Please excuse if I've posted in wrong area..

You will probably be fine but may hear some early excursion folks passing your door on a couple days.:)

Absolutely delightful review :):).

Sounds like you were well pleased with your suite choice....hmmm not sure when we'll 'suite sail' again ..but if we are on the same cruise can we come for wine and a little peek for old times sake ?

We're a nice couple (I think;)) we won't stay long.. oh ...and we'll bring the wine:D

Colleen, if we are on the same cruise we can all do "high tea". Looking forward to that!:)

We're cave dwellers, so I can assure you we won't be booking your cabin, although hearing you talk about all those perks may tempt us at some point.

Thanks for a great review, especially of the "zone" as we anticipate our trip through the canal and a visit to the Embera tribe very soon.

We're cave dwellers, so I can assure you we won't be booking your cabin, although hearing you talk about all those perks may tempt us at some point.

Thanks for a great review, especially of the "zone" as we anticipate our trip through the canal and a visit to the Embera tribe very soon.

Another lucky December Sunfarer. Have a great cruise and don't forget ... Island Magic.:)

Archived