Bed Bugs

Lollygil

So far I have never seen a credible report of someone getting infested with bed bugs from a cruise ship here. Bed Bugs are hitch hikers and they can show up anywhere. People were getting them just by going to a nice movie theater on land!

You take the simple precautions, look for their footprints and report them if found.

With all the talk of bed bugs at hotels---I dont think I have heard them invading cruise ships, but since they are fast becoming a National Epidemic, I dont see why they wouldnt be carried onto ships. Anyone heard anything on NCL?

There was a long thread about this a few weeks ago. At this time it appears bedbugs are not a problem on any of the cruise lines, but have bee a question in the past. It is hard sometimes on a cruise ship to determine whether an individual has really been bitten by bedbugs or wand fleas.

Nita

We sailed on the Jewel last week. On about our 5th night, as we were getting ready for bed, I noticed a bug crawling on the outer part of the duvet. The bug was reddish-brown and about the size of an apple seed-- exactly the description I'd read of bedbugs! I panicked, but managed to trap it in a baggie, and my husband took it down to the information desk.

I am pleased to report that they took it all VERY seriously! Shortly thereafter, my husband returned with a guy from Pest Control-- yes, they have a pest control department. First thing the guy told us is that the bug was a beetle, and not a bedbug. Then this fellow went on to check our bed/surrounding area thoroughly, and found absolutely no signs of bedbugs. I was very relieved, needless to say.

But I was also encouraged by how seriously they take every single possibility of an infestation, and it really set my mind at ease.

Just thought I'd report what happened!

I would think it would be serious (and they would inspect well) to get a bug infestation on any ship. It can happen so easily, but I have never heard a serious reportr come back, Usually just trolls out causing problems. I would hope the would check all the time to make sure!

Glad to read that the Jewel has a "pest control" department! We'll be on her in less than one week!!!

Dh & I were on the Pearl in October. I checked the bedding, mattress and box spring very carefully as soon as we arrived. Yes, I'm a worrier! But some morning shows had just had really scary reports about bed bugs plus helpful demos of how to look for them, so I searched diligently. And found none!

So bring a flashlight and check all the seams, headboards, etc- and then relax and enjoy your cruise!!!

Archived