Second trip to Rome - what would you do?

This will be the second time to Rome in 11 months and we wondered what you would suggest we did this time round. We don't want to repeat the Vatican, but are open to all suggestions - even if some of them take us out to the surrounding areas.

If you have not gone go to see the Sistine Chapel . If you like to shop Via Condotti is where you will find all the designer shops . Just above that are the Spanish Steps and a short walk to the Trevi Fountain which you must go to throw your coin in so you will be sure to return to Italy . Let me know if you have any other questions .:)

Guest Crazeecat5

If you haven't been to the Pantheon or the Roman Forum, they are wonderful sites to see. Last summer when we visited the Pantheon for the 2nd time, it was being restored. By now it must look sensational. My DH and I will be there again this summer and will try to see these places once more. Also get to Trevi so you can be assured another visit to Rome. I've thrown my coin in each time and I'm going back for the third time!

Have fun!

Sheryl

How about the Ctacombs.. they are a short distance out of Rome...we had a driver...they were great! I am sure you have seen all the sights mentioned above. We have beeen there several times and will be returning this summer. I am going to opt for the vatican museum, however I might be disappoimted because they might be closed on a sun. There is always something to do!

Queenk2 - the Vatican Museum is open on the last Sunday of the month - free admission, but I hear very crowded that day.

zebra - We'll make our first trip to Rome for 3 days in September. I have been reading/researching how to spend our time. Day trips from Rome could take you to Ostia Antica, Tivoli or even Naples and Pompeii. In South Rome you can visit St. Paul's Outside the Walls, Montemartini Museum, Baths of Caracalla, the Catacombs, E. U. R. and of course the Appian Way. If you have not been to Trastavere, I understand this section of Rome is the picturesque old quarter - probably the city's first place of Christian worship, founded in the 3rd century. The Santa Maria church there has mosaics that date from the 12th and 13th century.

One place in central Rome that I want to be sure to go is Piazza di San Giovanni in Laterano to see the Basilica of San Giovanni and the Lateran Palace (residence of the Popes until 1309), the Holy Staircase (one of the most revered relics in Rome) and the 16th century Egyptian obelisk (the oldest in Rome).

If you have not been to them, you could do a google search for these places to read more about them and see if they interest you.

Julie

We are in the same predicament; after touring Italy last fall we will be returning this year and haven't yet decided what to see or do. However, I agree that the Villa Borghese was our favorite! Keep in mind that you need to make reservation ahead of time, online, because they only sell a limited number of tickets each day and they frequently sell out. You do not have to prepay but must be at the museum thirty minutes before to purchase the tickets. Also, be certain to rent the audio tapes, which I feel are essential in getting the most out of the visit.

ENJOY:)

Barbara

Why feel you have to do or see "something"..just get out and walk the city (with or without a map),and enjoy the sights as you see them,and if you come acrosss some major sights fine if not you will enjoy the city.Stop and have lunch at P.Navona,walk the side streets etc,walk form one end of via del Corso to the other..major attractions at either and in between,and good shopping along the way.Have fun.

The third time I visited Rome, I went there with my mother, who'd never been before. She took guided tours to all of the major sites in the city, while I took a bus tour out to Umbria, which stopped in Asissi and a couple other places. It was lovely, and exactly what I needed (it was our first day, and I was suffering bad jet lag, so I appreciated just being able to spend a lot of time sitting in the comfortable seat and watching the beautiful countryside go by). There are tour offices sprinkled throughout the city where you can purchase various tours, both in and out of the city -- there are many, and as I recall, the prices were quite reasonable. Your hotel concierge can help you (that is, if you're staying there -- I'm not sure if this is just a port stop for you, or a pre- or post-cruise stay).

I also agree with the idea of just spending your time walking the city and soaking it in. Having already visited the major sites, we spent the next few days doing just that, and getting a feel for what Rome is really like. We spent a lot of time wandering around the Spanish Steps, checking out the historic squares and the many fountains, relaxing in cafes, and people-watching along the Via Veneto. La Dolce Vita!

Here is a link to a really excellent website that offers bus tours in and around the city, as well as walking tours. You can get some excellent ideas for itineraries to do on your own, depending on what you are interested in -- monuments, fountains, ancient Rome, medieval Rome, museums, gardens, etc.

http://www.enjoyrome.com/main.html

On my upcoming cruise in May, we're ending at Civitavecchia, but since I've alreay been to Rome several times, we're actually not going to go there at all. We're staying in a castle in a tiny, preserved hilltown called Procena, about 90 min. north of Rome, and we'll be touring the largely Estruscan Tuscia region including Viterbo, Orvieto and Bolsena. It all sounds wonderful, but you'll have to wait until we return to hear how we liked it!

LeeAnne

Archived