Alaska

Scoup

All the major lines cruise Alaska, that being said HAL and Princess offer the sailings. If this is your first time look closely at port times and scenic cruising. For example Tracy Arm is nice but Glacier Bay is spectacular. The port excursions offered by most are very similar and for some of the best excursions are pricey easily 100-500/person, so budget accordingly.

IMHO I'm partial to Princess's combo of style, amenities and huge array of sailing options for Alaska.

I want to go to Alaska. Which cruise line do you suggest and why?

Holland Amercia is our line of choice for Alaska. Have been with them three times - 2006 and 2008 on the Oosterdam, and this year, May 31st sailing on the Amsterdam for their 14 day itinerary. I will be going on this exact same itinerary on the Amsterdam on Aug. 5, 2011, but this time with my lovely niece and her boyfriend, and perhaps one of the friends we met on this cruise this year, if she's willing to share a cabin for 4!

Holland Amercia's "smaller" ships appeal to us, its a quiet, elegant (without being stuffy and pretentious) cruise. HAL's got the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in and truly, the most accomodating, personable, and happy crew to sail the seas. The wraparound teak promenade deck brings whispers of cruising the way it used to be (or so I'm told, much too young to know for myself, don't you know?;)), the Crows Nest with its comfy chairs and wrap around glass provides an excellent viewing area for the "STAR" of the show - amazing Alaska.

No rock climbing walls, water slides or skating rinks aboard a HAL ship - so if that is what you're looking for, look elsewhere. If, however, you'd looking for a relaxed cruising experience with excellent service, terrific itineraries including Glacier Bay and the Mighty Hubbard Glacier, HAL may very well be for you.

Food has always been excellent and varied. The complimentary room service menu is quite extensive, and dining in the informal Lido restaurant appeals to our idea of Alaskan cruising - totally casual, no worries about being back on board by a certain time for fixed seating. After a long, active day in port, we like to come back "home" to our cabin, freshen up a bit, then hop up to the Lido for dinner or order room service and eat in our jammies. The indoor pool with retractable roof and hot tubs is perfect for Alaska - surrounded by glass so you don't miss a second of the view, you're toasty warm. What an experience on a glacier sailing day - to see that massive hunk of blue, blue ice while indulging in an adult beverage in the hot tub!:D

We enjoy spending time in the relatively-protected area of the SeaView Bar on the aft of the Lido deck - surrounded by glass with a roof overhead and open on one side for easy access to either side or the aft of the ship to see wildlife, mountains, glaciers, etc.

Yup, we're HAL fans, as you can tell. That being said, all the other lines provide an excellent product as well. Key is to choose an intinerary that meets your priorities and always be sure to pick a cruise with the most time in port - longer is better to truly experience Southeast Alaska. Our pick would always include Hubbard or Glacier Bay rather than Tracy Arm for glacier sailing simply due to easier access throughout the cruise season, which isn't always available due to the oft experienced icing in Tracy Arm.

Whichever line and ship you choose - wishing you smooth sailing. Prepared to be wowed! And prepare to start planning trip #2 to one of the most spectacular places on earth. Enjoy!

I think people could help more if you could tell us more. For instance, there are the mass market ships, i.e. HAL, Princess, NCL, etc., then there is Ocenia, which is a premium line and much smaller ship, the luxury lines, and then the really small ships, i.e. Cruise West, NatGeo.

What are you looking for? The really small ships offer very intimate trips, with fewer comforts, no entertainment, but up close and personal visits to glaciers, etc. Luxury and premium ships are smaller, more intimate than mass market ships, offer entertainment, but not major shows, and have more amenities. The mass market lines offer similar experiences, but do have differences such as younger or older passenger groups and more or less lively activities.

Give us more info, we can advise better.

We chose Carnival based on itinerary --we had researched the ports/cities and knew what kinds of excursions we were interested in. Another factor was Camp Carnival because it was a big family trip with several kids with us!

I have a few pics here if you want more info: http://thealderins.blogspot.com/2009/07/alaska-was-beautiful.html

Thanks for all the replys. There is a lot of researching that needs to be done. It seems Glacier Bay is not to be missed. It also seems to start at Vancouver. Not sure if grandchildren will be traveling with us or not. That would certainly influence the cruise line we choose. Is Alaska very port intensive? We have done Hawaii on NCL. Was not impressed at all with the cruise itself....but Hawaii was awesome! I want both!! I haven't thought about the smaller ships. Are they more expensive than the large ones such as HAL? I love reading the suggestions....all are so appreciated!:p

Sailed the Norwegian Pearl to Alaska. Glacier Bay was spectacular. I probably won't ever sail another ship. Going again next May :D

I personally will never again sail another "small" ship...sailed the Bahamas Celebration before my 1st cruise and got very sick from the rocking motion. No motion on the two times I have sailed on Pearl.

We also sailed the NCL Pearl to Alaska and loved it. Our most recent cruise was our first on HAL. The smaller ship, great food and outstanding service has made us HAL converts. For us, HAL is just a better fit.

Whatever you choose you'll have a fantastic trip - AK is an unforgettable experience.

Archived