Not Allowed to Take Wine

Happy HALer

We brought 8 bottles of wine on the Jewel in October and there was no one at the table to collect the corkage fees. The two security guards just said go on in - this is your lucky day. Never paid corkage on any of it the whole week!!!

We were on the same Jewel cruise that you were, and had the same experience. It was our first time bringing wine on board. We had three bottles, at the top of our carryons for easy access by security, fully prepared to have them noted by security and fully prepared to pay the corkage. But no one in security said anything to us. Having never brought wine on before, we weren't sure exactly what was supposed to happen; we thought we would have been stopped and directed to pay someone. There was an empty table nearby, but absolutely no NCL staff around. So we boarded, expecting to pay the corkage when we brought a bottle to dinner at Cagney's without a sticker. But our server didn't say anything, just got us an ice bucket and proceeded to uncork our champagne. :)

(And the meal at Cagney's was so awful, I don't feel bad about the uncollected corkage. :p)

As we went through security before boarding the Sun last Saturday, with a bottle of wine in each carry on, we were directed to a nearby table where we paid $15 for one bottle, charged to our cabin. They either didn't see the second bottle or let it go, so we felt lucky. We enjoy a glass of wine in our cabin before dinner and sometimes take a full glass into the dining room. No one has ever questioned it.

Happy HALer - We enjoy the HAL policy of allowing two bottles of wine per person to be brought on board, whether you're checking in or coming back from your port visit.

If NCL's practice demonstrates what is permited, then what is permitted should always be challenged in order to affirm what is not allowed.

Agreed with you 100%. That is NCL to you, if you don't know!

It's the same when come to the 'Gratuity' topic.

Other lines seems to be satisfy with the $10 pp/per day, but why does NCL thinks their should be $12 pp/per day? Are their service much better than other lines, doesn't sound like it, due to lots of complaints. :mad:

Agreed with you 100%. That is NCL to you, if you don't know!

It's the same when come to the 'Gratuity' topic.

Other lines seems to be satisfy with the $10 pp/per day, but why does NCL thinks their should be $12 pp/per day? Are their service much better than other lines, doesn't sound like it, due to lots of complaints. :mad:

I have recently seen posts that indicate some of the other lines have increased to 12 per day, also.

So, getting back to the original debate.

According to the cruise contract, it is against the rules to bring wine onboard. NCL allows you to bring wine anyway, so it is not against the rules.

I argue that NCL allows beer to be brought onto the ship. Therefore, it is not against the rules. I can have have my beer and drink it too!:D

I am sure there will be some dissenters, but I assure you I have not gone mad. Keep this on the down low, but I have never had beer taken from me at any port on any cruise. The only time I was questioned was on the Gem when X-ray dude asked booze confiscator dude how many beers were allowed for each passenger. The answer was six. A very convenient number as that was exactly how many I had.

I never have taken any beer onboard during embarkation. Too much other stuff to carry.

Price of cruise $1200

Price for parking at the pier $300

Service charge $120++

Leaving a port at sunset, sitting on the balcony with a cold local brew......Priceless.

Relax. You don't need a law degree to get wine on your ship. NCL probably likes being vague on the corkage fee so they can make adjustments if their liquor sales go down.

Best case : NCL ignores your wine and you pay nothing

Typical case : NCL charges $15 / bottle

Worse case : NCL denies ever having corkage fee policy. Your bottles spend the cruise locked away. Your claim to fame will be a big news report on Cruise Critic that will turn into a thousand page thread and may even get a sticky.

Relax. You don't need a law degree to get wine on your ship. NCL probably likes being vague on the corkage fee so they can make adjustments if their liquor sales go down.

Best case : NCL ignores your wine and you pay nothing

Typical case : NCL charges $15 / bottle

Worse case : NCL denies ever having corkage fee policy. Your bottles spend the cruise locked away. Your claim to fame will be a big news report on Cruise Critic that will turn into a thousand page thread and may even get a sticky.

I am plenty relaxed. Thank you for your insightful post.

Sorry. I just spent two weeks on jury duty. Sometimes I start speaking all lawyery without warning.

Well I'm a lawyer and your making me dizzy as well....or maybe it is your tap danincg avatar...either way.....

Thousands of us can accurately resport that we have brought wine on NCL and been charged (at a table just past security) a $15.00 corkage fee per bottle.

Or that it was placed in the checked luggage....(maybe because it was too heavy or because someone was trying to get it through undetected) and that it was caught and brought to a room where the person is given the option of paying the corkage or having NCL hold it for the remainder of the week.....

Whether they advertise that this is their position.......that is up to NCL....but I can tell you the reality....which is what everyone on here is trying to do. Same goes for water and soda....you can bring it....put a luggage tag on it and it will be delivered to your room....call NCL rep and ask if you can do this.....nine out of ten will tell you no. But ten out of ten of us on here will tell you it is a non-issue.........

Well I'm a lawyer and your making me dizzy as well....or maybe it is your tap danincg avatar...either way.....

Thousands of us can accurately resport that we have brought wine on NCL and been charged (at a table just past security) a $15.00 corkage fee per bottle.

Or that it was placed in the checked luggage....(maybe because it was too heavy or because someone was trying to get it through undetected) and that it was caught and brought to a room where the person is given the option of paying the corkage or having NCL hold it for the remainder of the week.....

Whether they advertise that this is their position.......that is up to NCL....but I can tell you the reality....which is what everyone on here is trying to do. Same goes for water and soda....you can bring it....put a luggage tag on it and it will be delivered to your room....call NCL rep and ask if you can do this.....nine out of ten will tell you no. But ten out of ten of us on here will tell you it is a non-issue.........

I am sorry I offended you. After reading your post, I am sure I was not speaking "lawyery". It must have been more "jurory". Either way, you obviously did not not read the whole thread. Oh. I almost forgot, the avatar is intended to put you in a trance and believe everything I say. It may need a little tweaking.

You cannot bring beer, whiskey, vodka, rum or any other alcohol on board. Wine only and that only with payment of the listed corkage fee's. Been this way for quite a while now. :D

I hate to disagree, seriously, but I just read this on the NCL site.

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.<<

Link here - http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19268

Seems pretty clear. No firearms, er, sorry, no personal wine, period.

Shame. I have a respectable wine collection and was thinking of bringing something special since this will be out 25th wedding anniversary.

Oh well.

I hate to disagree, seriously, but I just read this on the NCL site.

What can't I bring onboard?

Passenger is not allowed to bring on board the vessel any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.<<

Link here - http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19268

Shame. I have a respectable wine collection and was thinking of bringing something special since this will be out 25th wedding anniversary.

Oh well.

Seems pretty clear but it's not. Despite their published policy, NCL definitely permits wine, as long as you pay the $15 per bottle corkage. However, people do get through occasionally without paying the corkage.

Oh well.

I've seen official word from NCL stating the $15 corkage fee, and I've sailed NCL twice, with a rolling cooler full of wine. We were instructed to go over to a table, pay corkage for the wine, and each bottle got a corkage sticker, and we brought them into dinner with us, and they were stored by NCL. And we weren't the only ones!

We recently returned from the Jade, left from Barcelona. We bought 6 bottls of wine in Barcelona, put them in our carryon and was fully prepared to pay for the $15 corkage fee for each bottle. On entering the ship and going through to scanners, NOTHING happened. No one asked for the fee or checked the carryon bags, we brought the wine to our cabin. WHY this happened, I have no idea. We never brought a bottle to dinner, or any where else and was never charged anything.

Lynda

Archived