Smoking on HAL

p4b

Our good friends on Volendam, could not get a cabin trade due to the smokers in the next cabin. They could not use their balcony for 28 day cruise, and the non helpful staff would not change the cabin. So mid way of the cruise, they packed their bags, and at the gangway, the security stopped them and then, only then did the big thinkers find another cabin for them. Writing to HA is a waste of time, we did, and our friends did and we got a useless letter from some clerk who was full of bs.

HA does not care of your needs, note here, the ducting to their room was admitting smoke from the other room. HA is really slow on this and they do not see, a very large group of our friends will not go with them again. :mad:

Oh boy! Another smoking thread, let me get some popcorn.

OK I'll start, I want to meet the peeps that can smoke 24 hours a day for 28 straight days without leaving their veranda. A new HAL record?

Well we were seriously considering trying Holland because of some intriguing itineraries and such. However, after reading many posts on CC and reading up on Holland's smoking policy, We won't even consider it. Celebrity has the best smoking policy. We have also cruised with RCL and though they allow smoking on balconies, we will take our chances on that. But as Holland allows smoking in all staterooms no way! No matter how much they claim how well they clean the cabins, smoke is smoke and it will be noticable in the cabin. When Holland get's a clue they will gain another customer. Until then, We wait.

Well we were seriously considering trying Holland because of some intriguing itineraries and such. However, after reading many posts on CC and reading up on Holland's smoking policy, We won't even consider it. Celebrity has the best smoking policy. We have also cruised with RCL and though they allow smoking on balconies, we will take our chances on that. But as Holland allows smoking in all staterooms no way! No matter how much they claim how well they clean the cabins, smoke is smoke and it will be noticable in the cabin. When Holland get's a clue they will gain another customer. Until then, We wait.

We're had 14 HAL cruises, don't smoke, don't like smelling smoke and have never had cabin smoke smell from the previous passengers. HAL does a very good job of getting the smoke completely out and well do additional de-smoking if requested. (We've had a few tiny brief whiffs of smoke enter our cabin a couple of times, but that represents a few minutes of our total cruising time.)

I, too, remember seeing this same post before. Just someone who wants to stir up trouble IMHO.

Seems that way. It is def the same exact story. Maybe the OP didn't feel they got enough attention the first time and are trying again.

To the poster that is letting posts like these deter them from booking, don't. I'm a non smoker and am really sensitive to it, and had 0 issues on my recent HAL cruise. Yes you can get next to someone who smokes, but that can happen on most lines that allow smoking on the ship.

p4b,

On your previous post which was very similar to this, I asked you some questions which unfortunately you have not answered.

This topic is obviously very important to you, so may I ask you was this the 28 night trip Seattle to Auckland?

On which deck was their original cabin?

Do you know the number, so other non-smokers can avoid this cabin?

At which port did they try to leave the ship?

Were they re-located to a balcony cabin? If so which deck?

I await your reply.

So why complain? There are other options which suit you better.

However, after reading many posts on CC and reading up on Holland's smoking policy, We won't even consider it. Celebrity has the best smoking policy.
I understand that a lot of smokers have left X for HAL, so there should be plenty of cabins there for you to enjoy. :)

If all the people who complain about smokers leave HAL, there will be more room for the smokers maybe they will open up more areas for smokers. Smokers usually drink more and gamble more, so I guess the bean-counters know who butters the bread.

From what I can tell, The entire areas of HAL ships is already open to smoking. And just like buying a car from a smoker or booking a cabin or hotel room from a smoker, the evidence is obvious.

We have done 4 cruises on HAL since 2007 and have never had an issue with smoke smells in our cabin. And I am an ex-smoker that can smell it miles away.

From what I can tell, The entire areas of HAL ships is already open to smoking. And just like buying a car from a smoker or booking a cabin or hotel room from a smoker, the evidence is obvious.

Which areas would this be?

Good Lord!! I don't smoke, don't like the smell of it, and I STILL think the endless anti-smoking threads are redundant, tiresome, and whiney.

The last X cruise we were on there were smokers on the balcony next to ours... you really think they enforce these rules?

The difference is, I dont complain because I don't care. A whiff of smoke? Jeez, even with health problems it doesnt bother me. Most of it just goes out into the sea air....

But people live to gripe, I suppose. You want to switch to another cruise line? It won't hurt HAL's feelings and it won't hurt mine. I find whiners harder to deal with than smokers, but hey, that's just me.

I recall someone else posting this event in the middle of another thread. Passengers packed up and trying to leave would probably be noticed by a number of passengers.

I think you are referring to the thread linked below. The thread on the Star Clippers Forum was about the electrical current in the cabins, not a word about smoking until the post #4 by P4B. This is when the OP starts with "OK let us get real. What is being done about smoking?" ???????????????

The OP has posted nine other times, but some of the other posts are somewhat "interesting" such as on May 18th when it was stated "Ship crews rot from the top down." (Darn rotten Captain!!)

Maybe the name "Cruise Critic" is taken too seriously.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1312257

And also they will lose a customer.

We have been on four HAL cruises the past two years and have never smelled smoke in our cabins, baconies or hallways.

As the Terigo stated in an earlier post, they were on an X cruise and there were smokers on the balcony next to them and nothing was enforced.

I see you just got off the Solstice. Some people we knew were not as lucky earlier this year when they were aboard the Solstice. There were smokers on the balcony next to them and directly below them. One day in port, both of them really got going and there was a "smoke out"--in their words. It was not enforced that time either.

So they may have a "no smoking policy", but there will be smokers.

I suggest you continue sailing on X and RCCL until HAL "gets a clue".

This is like beating a dead horse to death all over again. Lord only knows how many posts there have been with people whining about smoking on HAL ships. I am darn sick and tired of hearing this over and over again.

My DH and I are both smokers. However, we DO NOT smoke in our cabins -- only on our balcony or in the areas designated by HAL. Period, end of statement.

My suggestion to you is if you don't want to be around smokers regardless of where smoking is allowed, then go to another cruise line where smoking is totally prohibited. I have seen people walk through an approve smoking area and cover their mouths, nose, etc. and start coughing and cast such hateful looks. If you don't like it, then don't walk through those areas. There are other ways to get around the smoking -- especially if it is outdoors.

We all realize smoking isn't good for us, but it is an addiction. You have no idea how many of us have tried to quit, but to no avail. My hat is off to those who have quit.

But for your non-smokers, go somewhere else. Try Oceania, Crystal, or some other high-end cruise line. Yes, they're more expensive, but that way you won't have to deal with us. Quit the d___n whining!:mad:

This is like beating a dead horse to death all over again. Lord only knows how many posts there have been with people whining about smoking on HAL ships. I am darn sick and tired of hearing this over and over again.

My DH and I are both smokers. However, we DO NOT smoke in our cabins -- only on our balcony or in the areas designated by HAL. Period, end of statement.

My suggestion to you is if you don't want to be around smokers regardless of where smoking is allowed, then go to another cruise line where smoking is totally prohibited. I have seen people walk through an approve smoking area and cover their mouths, nose, etc. and start coughing and cast such hateful looks. If you don't like it, then don't walk through those areas. There are other ways to get around the smoking -- especially if it is outdoors.

We all realize smoking isn't good for us, but it is an addiction. You have no idea how many of us have tried to quit, but to no avail. My hat is off to those who have quit.

But for your non-smokers, go somewhere else. Try Oceania, Crystal, or some other high-end cruise line. Yes, they're more expensive, but that way you won't have to deal with us. Quit the d___n whining!:mad:

I have no wish to flog this horse again, and I am normally fairly sympathetic towards the smokers, but how dare you tell non-smokers to go elsewhere:mad: How the heck would you feel if you were told by a minority to get the heck off the ship? I think you should consider yourself fortunate and enjoy smoking onboard while you can, because it will come to an end.

Sorry for the rant, but you were just darned rude.

Archived