Carnival cruiser loves a Holland America intinerary

w8ing2cruz

We've only sailed on Carnival and RCCL - loved every cruise - every port - very relaxed cruisers that just go with the flow. We don't let little things bother us. That being said I absolutely LOVE the HA Noordam itinerary that includes HMC, Turk and the ABC islands. It would be our first ten day cruise and I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has sailed both Carnival and Holland America.

We sailed Holland America in 2007 and then Carnival for the second time in 2009.

There is definitely a difference in atmosphere between the two cruise lines, as the demographics are very different. HAL definitely was an older crowd - we were in our 30s and were among the youngest by a long shot. There may have been night life on board, but we don't usually go on a cruise for the night life. We enjoy laying by the pool and the ports the most.

Carnival is a livelier group, HAL tends to be more sedated. Carnival dress codes are more relaxed, there were primarily suits or tuxes on formal night on HAL. Personally I enjoy the dressing up.

HAL cabins were very nice, better even than Carnival (we cruised balconies on both ships). Room service options were fantastic - anything on the dining room menu for dinner can be ordered in cabin. You can also write in on the room service breakfast menu anything else that you want and then hang it on the door. I ordered Eggs Benedict several mornings that way.

HAL food was good, though the buffet wasn't very extensive. We prefer the MDR anyway.

Bear in mind that a ten night cruise is going to skew toward an older demographic - we took the 10 night cruise out of NYC to the Eastern Caribbean, so that may have explained some of the VERY well aged passengers.

If you do take the HAL cruise, I highly recommend their mixology classes. They were very fun.

I'd personally like to take another HAL cruise, though I doubt I could talk the Hubby into it. He refers to it as our geriatric cruise, but we both had a good time. The ships are beautiful, smaller and understated elegant.

We've only sailed on Carnival and RCCL - loved every cruise - every port - very relaxed cruisers that just go with the flow. We don't let little things bother us. That being said I absolutely LOVE the HA Noordam itinerary that includes HMC, Turk and the ABC islands. It would be our first ten day cruise and I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has sailed both Carnival and Holland America.

Atmosphere tends to be more sedated and refined (not only because Holland America caters to a more affluent and older demographic, but also because longer itineraries in general attract a clientele who's already "been there, done that", and are looking at relaxation, instead of "packing as much fun as possible".

Service will be much more polished, personal, and sophisticated. If you pay attention to details, like linens, china, type of service, etc, you will definitely like Holland America.

One of our friends just returned from a 7 night Holland America cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale (BTW, he's a Carnival cruiseaholic). He said that the cruise was amazing. They felt like royalty during the entire week. The only semi-negative comment he had was that they were the youngest couple by several decades!

Other than the fact that HAL passengers sometimes decide to throw anchors midtrip (actually true, but a joke folks- a joke), it sounds quite appealing to me- of course, I am more of the age group and generally could care less about what happens at night aboard ship- I thought they closed down the public decks on all ships at 9:30! :D

WE found HAL food and service much better than CCL.older crowd on Hal means less drunk people less noise at night:p .If you up to night life I would not recomend HAL for you,after 11 p.m. ship is empty:o

DH and I have done both, we would prefer to go on HAL, more personal service, food is better, but you cant beat the price of Carnival, we can cruise every year with Carnival and only every other year with HAL, and I just love to cruise!!!!!!

Sandy

you sound like you would enjoy any cruise line

Yup - I am definately addicted to cruising :D My husband and I are recent empty nesters and finding we are really liking all this extra time on our hands! I'm not too concerned with the lack of nightlife as we love to be beach bums and party in the sun all day - really can't stay up like I used to though.

We sailed Holland America in 2007 and then Carnival for the second time in 2009.

There is definitely a difference in atmosphere between the two cruise lines, as the demographics are very different. HAL definitely was an older crowd - we were in our 30s and were among the youngest by a long shot. There may have been night life on board, but we don't usually go on a cruise for the night life. We enjoy laying by the pool and the ports the most.

Carnival is a livelier group, HAL tends to be more sedated. Carnival dress codes are more relaxed, there were primarily suits or tuxes on formal night on HAL. Personally I enjoy the dressing up.

HAL cabins were very nice, better even than Carnival (we cruised balconies on both ships). Room service options were fantastic - anything on the dining room menu for dinner can be ordered in cabin. You can also write in on the room service breakfast menu anything else that you want and then hang it on the door. I ordered Eggs Benedict several mornings that way.

HAL food was good, though the buffet wasn't very extensive. We prefer the MDR anyway.

Bear in mind that a ten night cruise is going to skew toward an older demographic - we took the 10 night cruise out of NYC to the Eastern Caribbean, so that may have explained some of the VERY well aged passengers.

If you do take the HAL cruise, I highly recommend their mixology classes. They were very fun.

I'd personally like to take another HAL cruise, though I doubt I could talk the Hubby into it. He refers to it as our geriatric cruise, but we both had a good time. The ships are beautiful, smaller and understated elegant.

I love HAL but found the same to be true. It is a quieter cruise but would sail her again in a heartbeat if Carnival does not have the Itinerary. I'm planning on a Panama Canal and will be more than likely booking HAL even over Princess.

Just want to add that they have some quality items such as Hagan Daz Ice Cream and the Afternoon Tea, Chocolate Buffet was awesome.

We had a Superior Verandah Suite(mini-suite) and it had a bistro table & chairs on it which was great for morning breakfast on the balcony. The quality of the deck chairs on balcony, lido and Deck 3 are much better as well.

I found the food in the MDR to be very good but not really any better than Carnival (different selections though) and the Specialty restaurant, I think, is better on Carnival.

Another nice feature is the Crow's Nest Lounge up in the front of the Ship, I believe, on Deck 12. Awesome view. They also offered hot H'Ordeuves nightly which was nice when we went for a pre-dinner drink.

Staff, I found to be very friendly and they had a fellow in the Lido restaurant (can't remember his name) that knew EVERYONE's name literally. Don't know how he did it but he did. They were also very helpful with offering to carry trays, etc. and I guess that is because the passengers are older on HAL.

Only drawback...quiet nightlife and I was on a 7 Day Carib cruise. We were in our early-Fifties and found this to be the case.

As I said...I would definitely go on HAL again and if you decide to do it just keep in mind it is a more sedate cruise (not such a bad thing sometimes though).

DH and I have done both, we would prefer to go on HAL, more personal service, food is better, but you cant beat the price of Carnival, we can cruise every year with Carnival and only every other year with HAL, and I just love to cruise!!!!!!

Sandy

Sandy...you can get some really good last minute deals on HAL that are on par with Carnival pricing.

I love HAL but found the same to be true. It is a quieter cruise but would sail her again in a heartbeat if Carnival does not have the Itinerary. I'm planning on a Panama Canal and will be more than likely booking HAL even over Princess.

Just want to add that they have some quality items such as Hagan Daz Ice Cream and the Afternoon Tea, Chocolate Buffet was awesome.

We had a Superior Verandah Suite(mini-suite) and it had a bistro table & chairs on it which was great for morning breakfast on the balcony. The quality of the deck chairs on balcony, lido and Deck 3 are much better as well.

I found the food in the MDR to be very good but not really any better than Carnival (different selections though) and the Specialty restaurant, I think, is better on Carnival.

Another nice feature is the Crow's Nest Lounge up in the front of the Ship, I believe, on Deck 12. Awesome view. They also offered hot H'Ordeuves nightly which was nice when we went for a pre-dinner drink.

Staff, I found to be very friendly and they had a fellow in the Lido restaurant (can't remember his name) that knew EVERYONE's name literally. Don't know how he did it but he did. They were also very helpful with offering to carry trays, etc. and I guess that is because the passengers are older on HAL.

Only drawback...quiet nightlife and I was on a 7 Day Carib cruise. We were in our early-Fifties and found this to be the case.

As I said...I would definitely go on HAL again and if you decide to do it just keep in mind it is a more sedate cruise (not such a bad thing sometimes though).

I agree with you 100%.

It's been a couple of years since our last HAL cruise. The food and service was excellent- every kind of juice available in the Lido at breakfast, tons of fresh ( and ripe) fruit, rotisserie chicken available every day at lunch, fresh made breads- yumm

What was a major disappointment for me was the entertainment. There was no orchestra on the ship, the music for the shows was all pre-recorded, no jazz band, the band that played by the pool was also the late night entertainmemnt. The only live music to be heard between 7pm and 10 was a string quartet (maybe a quintet), no piano bar.

Yes, HAL does offer some nice itineraries, but X and Princess will get you to 2 of the abc's on 7,10 or 11 night cruises- both have better nightlife and (IMHO) the food and service are just as good

you sound like you would enjoy any cruise line

Actually I wasn't so pleased with Princess- little things like not having my room made up until after lunch almost every day for example. And I found that arriving on board and being immediately shuffled to my room- no DOD's around- wasn't very welcoming. I like having someone greet me with a drink- Welcome Aboard. But it was one experience so I wouldn't say another might not be great. So mostly you are right- I'm pretty easy to please as long as the ship is on the sea and it smells of salt water.

We went on HAL about 5 years ago and we probably won't go again until we reach the average age on board (about 25 years from now). One night at 8:30PM were were sitting alone in the one "nightclub" and only one other couple was present. The cruise director just happened to come in and we talked for a while. We discovered we were the youngest married couple on that particular cruise and we were both 42 at the time. The CD was sure nice and told us a lot about the demographics of HAL. He got us a couple complimentary drinks every evening. He expressed he felt sorry for us.

We also thought they closed down the public areas at some set time also. The only night entertainment available was watching re-runs of "I Dream of Jeanie" (sp?) and "Green Acres" on TV. Getting back to Tampa couldn't have been more welcome. We're both very social people and found mixing with the much older crowd difficult. In contrast, we've met many people in this older age group while on Carnival and they are all very outgoing in comparison.

It may be a good option for some cruisers but it wasn't for us.

Kev

Archived