the good the bad and the ugly on our thanksgiving cruise on the Conquest

ruthie101

We arrived in Galveston sat. afternoon and stayed at the Galveston Hilton. This was our first time in Galveston and we really would like to go back and spend more time there.

Sunday morning we received a call about 6 a.m. from Carnival offering us an upgrade from our balcony to a suite so we took it! We got to the ship about 11:30 and did not have to wait very long in line. I did notice they do not have a seperate line for platinum like they do at pt. Canavaral (sp) but the line went fast and when we got inside they had a seperate room for platinum guests. We got thru really fast but they had us bypass the photographer which surprised me. We like the picture of us boarding the ship.

When we got on we walked up to the lido to get a deink and lunch. We take the stairs as much as possible for the exercise. At 1:30 we went to see our suite and were surprised by about 5 men in our room! They were working on the jacuzzi tub and I told them we only needed the shower but that didn't work either! I was having 2nd thoughts about upgrading to this suite! I asked them to let us know if it could be fixed before the ship left as we would not stay if we wouldn't have a shower for a week!

At 3 p.m. they said the shower was fixed but not the tub and that was fine with us!

This was our 2nd time on the Conquest and we were really excited about this cruise.We like the Conquest but our favorite ship is the Legend.

The first day we spent exploring and getting reacquainted with the Conquest.

That night at dinner we were at a table for 10 and everybody got along great. Our waiter took our orders and didn't talk much but we just figured he was extra busy because of the first night. About 4 of us did not get all we ordered but none of us said anything.

The next night the same thing happened and we all just accepted it, by Thanksgiving we were quite used to our very rude waiter! This was probably the worst night, at least for me it was! He brought everyones dinner but mine and everyone was almost done when I got the assistants attention and asked for my dinner, he looked surprised and went to the counter where they place them and it was there amongst all the dirty dishes from other tables, this was the last night we ate in the dining room.

This did put a damper on my cruise experience but we did not let it ruin the cruise.

In Jamaica we rented a cab and toured on our own, we saw some really neat places.

In Grand Caymen we just walked around. We spotted a museum and went thru that.

In Cozumel we went to Nachi Cocom and spent time on the beach.

We enjoy the overall experience of cruising and we rated our cruises on a scale of 1-10 this would probably rate a 6.

The last day we got a free galley tour which we have done before but each time we learn something new.

We probably will not cruise on a holiday again because there were way too many unsupervised kids on this cruise.We raised 10 children and would never take them anywhere and let them run wild with no supervision, they need rules and limits no matter where they are, even on vacation!

Getting back to the shower! The plumber came back after we had 3 nice showers and "fixed" it. Then we had a scalding hot shower, so he came back and "fixed" it again, then we had 2 days of freezing showers.

We told our room steward again before we left so she could get it fixed for the next people.

Our next cruise is in March on the Miracle and I do hope the dining experience goes better or we might try anytime dining.

We arrived in Galveston sat. afternoon and stayed at the Galveston Hilton. This was our first time in Galveston and we really would like to go back and spend more time there.

Sunday morning we received a call about 6 a.m. from Carnival offering us an upgrade from our balcony to a suite so we took it! We got to the ship about 11:30 and did not have to wait very long in line. I did notice they do not have a seperate line for platinum like they do at pt. Canavaral (sp) but the line went fast and when we got inside they had a seperate room for platinum guests. We got thru really fast but they had us bypass the photographer which surprised me. We like the picture of us boarding the ship.

When we got on we walked up to the lido to get a deink and lunch. We take the stairs as much as possible for the exercise. At 1:30 we went to see our suite and were surprised by about 5 men in our room! They were working on the jacuzzi tub and I told them we only needed the shower but that didn't work either! I was having 2nd thoughts about upgrading to this suite! I asked them to let us know if it could be fixed before the ship left as we would not stay if we wouldn't have a shower for a week!

At 3 p.m. they said the shower was fixed but not the tub and that was fine with us!

This was our 2nd time on the Conquest and we were really excited about this cruise.We like the Conquest but our favorite ship is the Legend.

The first day we spent exploring and getting reacquainted with the Conquest.

That night at dinner we were at a table for 10 and everybody got along great. Our waiter took our orders and didn't talk much but we just figured he was extra busy because of the first night. About 4 of us did not get all we ordered but none of us said anything.

The next night the same thing happened and we all just accepted it, by Thanksgiving we were quite used to our very rude waiter! This was probably the worst night, at least for me it was! He brought everyones dinner but mine and everyone was almost done when I got the assistants attention and asked for my dinner, he looked surprised and went to the counter where they place them and it was there amongst all the dirty dishes from other tables, this was the last night we ate in the dining room.

This did put a damper on my cruise experience but we did not let it ruin the cruise.

In Jamaica we rented a cab and toured on our own, we saw some really neat places.

In Grand Caymen we just walked around. We spotted a museum and went thru that.

In Cozumel we went to Nachi Cocom and spent time on the beach.

We enjoy the overall experience of cruising and we rated our cruises on a scale of 1-10 this would probably rate a 6.

The last day we got a free galley tour which we have done before but each time we learn something new.

We probably will not cruise on a holiday again because there were way too many unsupervised kids on this cruise.We raised 10 children and would never take them anywhere and let them run wild with no supervision, they need rules and limits no matter where they are, even on vacation!

Getting back to the shower! The plumber came back after we had 3 nice showers and "fixed" it. Then we had a scalding hot shower, so he came back and "fixed" it again, then we had 2 days of freezing showers.

We told our room steward again before we left so she could get it fixed for the next people.

Our next cruise is in March on the Miracle and I do hope the dining experience goes better or we might try anytime dining.

I wonder if our last waiter from the Glory transferred over to the Conquest. Sounds like some of the same problems we had from our waitstaff on this last Glory cruise except for the rude part. Our waiter was nice enough, but he and his group just couldn't seem to get food orders or the pacing of the meal correct. Like you, though, we didn't let it ruin our cruise and had a great time.

WOW.... I would have asked for a different table the first night (on the other side)....:eek:

We have been on the Conquest twice & always had a great cruise...

Does the Conquest do the "Your Time Dining"..? :confused:

It's easy to avoid the dining room situation....do the buffet (what you want, when you want it, and as much as you want)

As for screaming kids....don't sail on holidays (they are really only cute when they're your own)

But a cold shower....that's where I draw the line (I bet that's why it was a last minute upgrade....bet you got a great price too)

It's easy to avoid the dining room situation....do the buffet (what you want, when you want it, and as much as you want)

As for screaming kids....don't sail on holidays (they are really only cute when they're your own)

But a cold shower....that's where I draw the line (I bet that's why it was a last minute upgrade....bet you got a great price too)

We consider the eating in the dining room a big part of the cruising experience which the waiter spoiled for us. We did decide to eat at the buffet to avoid his unpleasant attitude. We stilled enjoyed our cruise.

We consider the eating in the dining room a big part of the cruising experience which the waiter spoiled for us. We did decide to eat at the buffet to avoid his unpleasant attitude. We stilled enjoyed our cruise.

Glad you enjoyed most of your cruise. Did you speak to anyone aobut the waiter?

I wouldn't be happy with such bad service either, whether it is on a ship or land service. I hope you complained so that he can be retrained, or removed from the dining room.

As for the cold shower, brrr...I could have handled it by going tom the spa shower, but DH would have been an unhappy cruiser. At least at shower time. :(

We were on this cruise as well. The only complaint I had, and did eventually voice to Guest Services and Security, were the HORRIBLE NO NECK MONSTER KIDS RUNNING AMOK WITHOUT SUPERVISION FROM ANYONE. Security told me they were not prepared to have 1400 kids on board. I suggest in the future Carnival turn one of the lounge areas into kiddie jail, and charge the parents $1000.00 to get each one out. It is the parents fault for not watching what the kids are doing. We are going back for Christmas. I hope it is better. I have never seen such out of control children on a cruise.

We were on this cruise as well. The only complaint I had, and did eventually voice to Guest Services and Security, were the HORRIBLE NO NECK MONSTER KIDS RUNNING AMOK WITHOUT SUPERVISION FROM ANYONE. Security told me they were not prepared to have 1400 kids on board. I suggest in the future Carnival turn one of the lounge areas into kiddie jail, and charge the parents $1000.00 to get each one out. It is the parents fault for not watching what the kids are doing. We are going back for Christmas. I hope it is better. I have never seen such out of control children on a cruise.

Great idea! How could they be "not prepared"? They had the passenger list. Perhaps Carnival should be a "maximum" on each age group.

OP...just curious...did they give you a good price for the upsell?

I'm wondering if they knew the cabin had issues.

As far as the dining...I would be disappointed too if I were looking forward to the dining room.

I met you at the Roll Call meeting sorry your room never got fixed right. I would have asked for some OBC.

Did you complain about the waiter? Ours was bad the first night then each night after he was FANTASTIC!

I don't understand how anybody sailing at Thanksgiving wouldn't expect alot of kids. Yes there was some rude kids running around. They were actually 2 groups of tween boys and a few girls that everybody was noticing. I never saw out of had little one's or even the teens. Evertime I saw a group of teens they were sitting chatting or dancing. We had a great time and just ignored the annoying kids. I had 2 with me but they are to young to be without me. We enjoyed the adult comedy alot and didn't have to deal with the bad kids.

Glad you enjoyed most of your cruise. Did you speak to anyone aobut the waiter?

The last day we were on the tour for platinum guests in the galley and I was talking to another guest and the officer taking us on the tour heard me. He was over all the dining rooms and workers and he wanted us to go back that night but we didn't want to chance it. Hopefully he will do something about the waiter. Also when I get my survey on e-mail I will tell them about him.

Great idea! How could they be "not prepared"? They had the passenger list. Perhaps Carnival should be a "maximum" on each age group.

OP...just curious...did they give you a good price for the upsell?

I'm wondering if they knew the cabin had issues.

As far as the dining...I would be disappointed too if I were looking forward to the dining room.

We got the upsell with no extra charge!! but I was wishing we had our original balcony room back!!

You got a cab and did your own "tour" in Jamaica? You are brave or crazy- or a lil of both! LoL ;) Been to Mo-Bay 3x and don't think I would do that. What all did you all see?

Ohh and ROFLMAO at who ever said kiddie jail! :D

It was a licensed cab and we felt very safe in it. The first place he took us was to Richmond Hill Inn, a beautiful hotel up on a hill. They were set up for a wedding and it was gorgeous. The view was great and they had a beautiful pool. We talked to the owner, she was from Great Britain, we would love to stay there some day.

As far as the kids go I really don't blame them I blame the parents!! These are the same kids who will probably end up in trouble back home and the parents won't understand why. Children need supervision and boundaries. A lot of parents spent time with their children and really enjoyed them it was just a handful that was the problem. The jail should be for parents and kiddies then they would have to really take a vacation with the kids!!

The last day we were on the tour for platinum guests in the galley and I was talking to another guest and the officer taking us on the tour heard me. He was over all the dining rooms and workers and he wanted us to go back that night but we didn't want to chance it. Hopefully he will do something about the waiter. Also when I get my survey on e-mail I will tell them about him.

I never received a survey from my last cruise. I had nothing but great things to say about my Cabin Steward & Team, and Waitstaff team. I did not wait and mailed a letter to Carnival Guest Services and did receive a reply from them. I say write to them if you do not receive your survey and let them know of the bad & the GOOD.

Sorry you had these troubles, but glad you did not let it ruin your cruise

This is exactly why we cruise when the rug rats should be in school.

Made the mistake of cruising during Mexico's spring break.

We were on the Miracle Thanksgiving week! Had NO problem at all with kids on the cruise! But ever cruise is different!

You will LOVE the Miracle! Food was the best of 5 cruises I have taken now!!!! I would have to say Miracle is pretty much my favorite ship! BUT did LOVE Mariner of the Seas! She was a beauty!

Have a great cruise on the Miracle!!!:D I am sure you will!

Also heard good things about the anytime dining on the Miracle!!! We did early due to us traveling with my elderly in laws!

When is Mexico's spring break?

You know, after I posted that, I asked the same question. I think it was our March '02 cruise on Explorer when it went out of Galveston.

I remember the cruise director announcing over 1000 kids onboard because it was Mexican spring break.

Won't do that again.

Was his name Rex? We had a really crappy waiter on Conquest Thanksgiving cruise last year. Rest of cruise was great.

Archived