Compare Princess to NCL and Royal Caribbean?

katanna

I have been on Princess (4 times), NCL (once), RCL (twice) and Carnival (once) -- Princess and RCL are my top, with Carnival second and NCL sooooo in last place.

We're going on the Caribbean Princess in January, and we are excited

We love Princess and have been to Alaska twice; once on Celebrity and once on Princess. Both were wonderful cruises. We have been on Princess twice and it is now our favorite cruise line.

Oh and BTW- we went with a FABULOUS "FOX" group. We take our party with us. :p

I have not been on NCL or RCI but have been on 8 Princess cruises. The Coral and her sister ship the Island Princess are my absolute favorite ships. They are smaller than the Caribbean, Crown and other grand class ships. They carry 1950 passengers vs 3,000+ on the Caribbean. Even though they carry less passengers, there is as much common space as the larger ships and never feel as crowded. These ships are narrower than the larger ships since they were built to go through the Panama canal. I went through the Panama Canal on both the Island and the Coral and loved these ships. Hope you have a great cruise.

I have not been on RCI, but I have sailed on the Pride of America and several other NCL ships and many of the Princess ships. I know you will like Princess better than the Pride of America.

We took the Pride for the Hawaiian itinerary, which was fantastic and included a Na Pali coast sail by. However, the Princess ships are much nicer. They are more sophisticated and more elegant. The NCL ships have a lot of bright colors and they use less expensive materials for their decor.

The food in general is better on the Princess ships (although I was shocked to discover that I liked the buffet on NCL better than on Princess). The food in all other venues is superior on the Princess ships. NCL (and RCI for what I have heard) cater to a younger more athletic crowd including rock climbing walls, skating rinks, and so on. The shows also cater to younger people on NCL such as Saturday Night Live type skits instead of full musical revues. I prefer the Princess shows.

Overall, I much prefer the elegance and sophistication of the Princess ships. You are going to enjoy Princess. What's not to like?

OK, here they are: today´s rates in PR´s newspapers, for an interior stateroom, guaranty, which is the least expensive stateroom. Cheaper than this, will be cruising in the cargo hold. LOL

December 11, Serenade of the Seas, double only - $590 plus $208.09 taxes and port fees.

December 12, Caribbean Princess, double only - $174 plus $233.43 taxes and port fees.

December 18, Celebrity Summitt - double $450, triple $430 and quad. $420.

December 19, Carnival Victory - $470 plus $227.74 taxes and port fees.

You cal also go to http://www.aatours.com for RCI and Celebrity prices in PR

OK, here they are: today´s rates in PR´s newspapers, for an interior stateroom, guaranty, which is the least expensive stateroom. Cheaper than this, will be cruising in the cargo hold. LOL

December 11, Serenade of the Seas, double only - $590 plus $208.09 taxes and port fees.

December 12, Caribbean Princess, double only - $174 plus $233.43 taxes and port fees.

December 18, Celebrity Summitt - double $450, triple $430 and quad. $420.

December 19, Carnival Victory - $470 plus $227.74 taxes and port fees.

You cal also go to www.aatours.com for RCI and Celebrity prices in PR

Wow...fantastic pricing on that Princess cruise.....but I do wonder if the cruiselines changed their agenda that it was better to have bodies in the cabin than not so they were letting the PR folks go on for just the taxes and port fees. And yes, we talked to a number of them who did just that when we left from there.

Believe me, I have never seen prices for the taxes and port fees only, in PR. I have seen very low prices, but you have to add the taxes and port fees. One advantage that we living in PR have, is that we do not have to fly to San Juan, we just drive, and that is a saving. I live in Ponce, on the Southern coast of PR, and it is only an hour and a half drive to SJ.

CruisingAgain, here are prices published by TravelwithSears in today´s newspaper:

Adventure of the Seas, Dec. 12, 7 days cruise departing from San Juan, visiting St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Grenada and St.Lucia. Oceanview $290 plus $205 taxes and port fees; balcony $440 plus $205 taxes and port fees.

The advertisement does not state the category of the cabins or if the prices are in double, triple or quad. cabins. Even do, I find they are very good prices.

How do this prices compare with prices in US?

CruisingAgain, here are prices published by TravelwithSears in today´s newspaper:

Adventure of the Seas, Dec. 12, 7 days cruise departing from San Juan, visiting St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Grenada and St.Lucia. Oceanview $290 plus $205 taxes and port fees; balcony $440 plus $205 taxes and port fees.

The advertisement does not state the category of the cabins or if the prices are in double, triple or quad. cabins. Even do, I find they are very good prices.

How do this prices compare with prices in US?

Those are great prices. Here's a comparison to the best prices I found:

Adventure of the Seas, Dec. 12 (one day sale - today): Inside $399 plus government fees $46.54; Promenade inside $729 plus fees $46.54; outside $449 plus fees $46.54; balcony $679 plus fees $46.54.

Caribbean Princess, Dec. 12 Inside $355 plus fees $58.25; Outside 405, Balcony plus fees $58.25, $535 plus fees 58.25(with onboard credit of $75)

Carnival Victory, Dec. 12: Inside $499 plus taxes and port fees; Outside $539 and Balcony $599.

I'm glad you posted the fees because look at the difference how the agencies advertise them.

Hey all,

First time poster here, so be nice!

Three years ago my grandmother blessed the entire family by taking 24 of us on a Hawaiian cruise. We went during the winter of 2007 on the Pride of Hawaii (NCL). We all loved it.

Last summer (18 months ago) she blessed us again by taking us on a Caribbean cruise (not everyone could make it so only 15 went). We traversed the rich blue waters on the Oasis of the Seas (the largest ship in the world [at the time]) thanks to Royal Caribbean.

Now she has done it again! This summer we will be on the Coral Princess for seven days traveling down the Alaskan coast. The current family count is 20, but that may change.

My main question (at this time) is what to expect for the ship and the cruise line. How will it be the same and how will it be different than our first two cruises?

For example I was much more pleased with Royal Caribbean than NCL. Not saying anything bad about NCL, RC was just that much nicer in every way! The food was better, the atmosphere was great, even down to the crew of the ship, everything was amazing!

Will Princess be this nice (or better)?

Matthew

3 totally different experiences, IMHO.

POA is basically a floating hotel between the islands. In general no sea days, but gets you around Hawaii.

Oasis of the Seas is a floating resort. The cruise is less about the ports, and more about the ship. You do get a couple of stops, but has much more for entertainment options than the typical cruise ship.

The Coral is a much more intimate experience. She will have about 1/3rd of the passengers you had on Oasis. I agree with the comparison of Alaska to a National Park by sea. Its about the scenery, the glaciers, and for me was overwhelming at just how large Alaska truly is. Hopefully you will get to spend a couple of days on either end on land up in Alaska. Check out the bears, the whales, and the salmon. You won't find that combo anywhere else.

Never sailed NCL, but have found Royal Caribbean and Princess more alike than not. The main differences we found was RC cabins are larger, their balcony cabins are more like Princess mini suites.

Found the crew on princess couldn't do enough for us, went out of there way for anything we wanted and really seem to get to know the passengers on board, we didn't feel this on RC as much.

The main difference you will obviously notice is that having sailed on the largest ship going back to a smaller ship.

We found entertainment on RC was badly timed, most shows were before dinner not after as on Princess.

I would sail both again but prefer Princess. I am sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Ask Grandma if there's room for 1 more me! :D

Babs

Check this prices:

http://www.crucerostogo.com/Ofertas.html

You have to add taxes and port fees, which are around $205 to 225 per person. Even with the addition, these are fantastic prices!

I noticed on some categories when the fees were added together the pricing was close for both you and me and some like a balcony cabin your pricing is much cheaper. Interesting, but those taxes and port fees are sure broke down different than advertised here. It appears that alot of those fees are already built into the cruise price here since yours is the low 200's and ours is the mid 50's and 60's. I do know of a couple travel agencies in Florida that advertise it like this making it appear much lower and then the fees are high like what you gave me.

We have been on all three lines' date=' and hands down Princess if our fav of the three. After being on one each of NCL and RCI, we now stick to Princess (4 cruises) and Celebrity (4 cruises, 2 more booked).

Have a great cruise![/quote']

Ditto!!

Although Carnival is the least expensive line I have not tried it. I´m 63 years young and Carnival is directed to a younger crowd. As you know, Carnival ships are known as the "Fun Ships" and their "fun" is not my type of fun, so I prefer RCI. Have cruised 9 times with RCI; tried Princess once, did not like it, and in April or May, 2011, will be back with RCI.

Don't knock Carnival until you have tried it. I am 73 and I love the fun ships. How do you know their fun is not your kind of fun when you havent tried it? Don't believe rumurs or heresay.

Don't knock Carnival until you have tried it. I am 73 and I love the fun ships. How do you know their fun is not your kind of fun when you havent tried it? Don't believe rumurs or heresay.

You could be right. I just heard comments of friends that tried Carnival. That is hearsay. Perhaps I should try Carnival and have my own opinion.

Anyway, a bad day at sea is better than a good day at the office.

Thanks!

Hey all,

Three years ago my grandmother blessed the entire family by taking 24 of us on a Hawaiian cruise. We went during the winter of 2007 on the Pride of Hawaii (NCL). We all loved it.

Last summer (18 months ago) she blessed us again by taking us on a Caribbean cruise (not everyone could make it so only 15 went). We traversed the rich blue waters on the Oasis of the Seas (the largest ship in the world [at the time]) thanks to Royal Caribbean.

Now she has done it again! This summer we will be on the Coral Princess for seven days traveling down the Alaskan coast. The current family count is 20, but that may change.

My main question (at this time) is what to expect for the ship and the cruise line. How will it be the same and how will it be different than our first two cruises?

For example I was much more pleased with Royal Caribbean than NCL. Not saying anything bad about NCL, RC was just that much nicer in every way! The food was better, the atmosphere was great, even down to the crew of the ship, everything was amazing!

Is grandma looking to adopt anyone in the near future?;)

j'k, we haven't been on Princess yet, however, we felt that RCCL was much better than NCL and that RCCL and Carnival are a lot alike. We are hopeing that Princess is that step above. We can let you know in about 41 days when we are back from the Caribbean Princess.

You could be right. I just heard comments of friends that tried Carnival. That is hearsay. Perhaps I should try Carnival and have my own opinion.

Anyway, a bad day at sea is better than a good day at the office.

Thanks!

We are 58 and 52 and have been on Carnival and Royal and think the two lines are more alike than different. On the Royal ship we were on, they were selling shots of booze on the Lido Deck. We have never seen that on any of our Carnival cruises or on our NCL cruise. We are hopeing that Princess is that step above and will give us options when we go to Alaska and back to Hawaii.

Forgot to add... Alaska is so spectacular that any ship would be tolerable. Have a great cruise!

The edge to Alaska cruises goes to Princess and HAL. They have the best access in Alaska are also the best when it comes to Alaska cruise tours. These 2 lines are the ones that started Alaska cruising and the experience shows.

I have always taken cruises out of SJ (I live in PR) and have never seen the so much talked about las minute prices. Maybe I have not looked for them, since I always book well ahead of the sailing date.

Although Carnival is the least expensive line I have not tried it. I´m 63 years young and Carnival is directed to a younger crowd. As you know, Carnival ships are known as the "Fun Ships" and their "fun" is not my type of fun, so I prefer RCI. Have cruised 9 times with RCI; tried Princess once, did not like it, and in April or May, 2011, will be back with RCI.

After reading tomorrow´s newspaper, I will post prices in PR for interior staterooms in Carnival, RCI and Princess, so you will have an idea on the pricess.

antomoli, there is a review you should read about the Caribbean Princess cruise leaving from San Juan that also states what I said to you before how folks in San Juan get great deals. Please see for yourself:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1323236&highlight=

The Coral Princess is a much smaller ship than the Caribbean Princess that a couple of responders have mentioned. We're sailing on her sister ship later this month--the Island Princess--so I'll have a better understanding of how they differ from the larger Princess ships that we have sailed on (all of the original Grand-class ships plus Emerald, Crown, and Sapphire).

Hi, I saw another post that said the buffets were ridiculously small on Princess ships and that there were long lines. Did you find that true on the Coral? Thanks. Joyce

Hey all,

Matthew

Did Grandma win the lottey or rob a bank?

Archived