Oh No - Sisters want to Jump Ship 100 days out?

singinglizzie

I don't know what to do. We (three "50 somthing" sisters) have been planning a cruise for my Mom's 75 birthday for the last 9 months. Originally booked the Sun based on itinerary (Virging Islands) and best balcony price, then switched to the Star (Mexican Riviera)6 months ago to go first class in one of the new AJ suites. I've been on these boards religiously and now my head is filled with all sorts of random info about the Star. Fast forward and with final payment approaching in 2 weeks- my sisters are concerned about the travel warnings to Mexico and now don't want to sail on the Star. I've had no luck talking with them either. They just don't want to be worried while on vacation. My PCC is out of the office until 12/7 so I'm frantically looking at other NCL ships for our dates of either 3/12 or 3/13. Choices are re-book the Sun in 2 balcs, or look at the Pearl - 2 balcs or 2 insides on the Epic. We won't be able to swing a Suite on any of these ships, so I am super disappointed. What should I do next? Would you choose the Sun, Pearl or Epic????

Hi...friends of mine just got back from the Norweigh Star that went through Mexico, and had a fabulous time. They have cruised on carnival and other cruiseship and said they loved it....Mexico was great, and they took great pictures as well. They travelled with 2 teenage girls who also loved it. Just to let you know, plus sometimes "first choice" is best!

I know this does not help your situation, but I have not heard anything about cruise ships being affected in Mexico. You know as well as I know, that news would be the leading news story for a while if a cruise ship was involved!

I would make sure it is not a money issue with them before you start re-booking everything. Maybe there is another problem going on!

Good luck!

Hi...friends of mine just got back from the Norweigh Star that went through Mexico, and had a fabulous time. They have cruised on carnival and other cruiseship and said they loved it....Mexico was great, and they took great pictures as well. They travelled with 2 teenage girls who also loved it. Just to let you know, plus sometimes "first choice" is best!

I have no qualms about traveling to Mexico, but my party no longer wants to go and I can't do much about it, except change ships. However, I was really looking forward to sailing in my first a suite - but I guess not this cruise. Meantime, I need to come up with plan B. We have sailed the Sun before, so it might be nice to try the Pearl or the Epic. Given our choices, I am looking for recommendations to help my Mom celebrate her birthday in style. She had a mild stroke 2 years ago, so she is traveling slower these days. I don't know if the Epic will be too big of a ship? I think any of these ships could be great - just need help choosing one. Thanks.

I know this does not help your situation, but I have not heard anything about cruise ships being affected in Mexico. You know as well as I know, that news would be the leading news story for a while if a cruise ship was involved!

I would make sure it is not a money issue with them before you start re-booking everything. Maybe there is another problem going on!

Good luck!

No, it's not money - we are paid up except that last $200. It' my Bro-inlaw, doesn't want my sis to go Mexico. I even told them that there were robberies in the Virgin Islands, and bad stuff happens every where, but they said they just dont want to be worried on vacation. I guess if going on the cruise is making my Mom anxious it defeats the purpose, so switching is the best. I will go on the Star another time - but now, which ship?

Sorry to hear about your sisters. The travel warnings are in place for land-based travel to dangerous border towns, not for cruise ships to popular tourist destinations, but I suppose that's neither here nor there.

I don't think the Epic is the right ship for you, given your party. It's a very big, very active ship and the stateroom setup (particularly the bathrooms) might not be very comfortable for your mom. Any of the other ships would suit you just fine. Hope you do have a nice cruise despite the trouble :)

There are no problems with travel to Cabo, Mazatlan, Cozumel, etc. The problems are in Tijuana and land-based border towns where the drug cartels are fighting. I don't know if you can get your travel mates to change their minds, but they are clearly overreacting and their fear is misplaced. We had a wonderful time on the MR, and you can get way more cruise for your dollars on this route. I would not hesitate to sail this route AT ALL, just as we had no worries sailing to Cozumel in July

Maybe have your BIL read the boards.

Dump your sisters and still take your Mother to enjoy your Suite and an awesome cruise to Mexico!

That's my favorite route and I wish I had the chance to sail in a suite!

While you two are out having the best time of your life, tell your sister to plan another cruise and you'll gladly join them when you recover from yours!

No reason to make you do all the work because they got cold feet!

HAVE FUN ON THE SUN! :)

This is so unfortunate. It isn't like you are going to Juarez.

But, like you say, if it stresses out your mom, then it would defeat the purpose. I guess that I shouldn't say that the crime in St. Thomas is probably higher than in the Mexican ports. It's too bad that Mexico gets such a bad rap.

Would your sisters consider the same ship, but not get off the ship in port?

Good luck.

Dump your sisters and still take your Mother to enjoy your Suite and an awesome cruise to Mexico!

HAVE FUN ON THE SUN! :)

Ha HA too funny. GREAT NEWS - WE ARE BACK ON FOR THE STAR! I called each sister, and each one thought the other didn't want to go, so now all settlled. STAR IT IS!!!!!

JMO, If you are switching ships I would choose the Pearl. We have sailed on the Star, Pearl, and just did 2 weeks on the Epic this summer. We've done the Pearl twice and really enjoyed her. I loved the layout and having breakfast in the "Great Outdoors" while looking off the back of the ship. The food was fantastic, I know that is a matter of opinion but we really enjoyed the Pearl. Now, if you want something totally different I would suggest the Epic. Lot's of different entertainment and a very cool looking ship no matter what people are saying.

I guess it will depend on what you want to do while on the ship. The Epic is more of a party ship, but nothing like a Carnival ship, just more lively stuff going on all over. The Pearl has your big theater and has some great shows. Specialty restaurants are good on both ships and the crews on both were also great.

Just saw your reply as I finished! LOL...we enjoyed the Mexican Riviera...have a fantastic time!

If your sisters are afraid of Mexico (which my husband and I are also), stay on the ship and take the day to pamper yourselves in the spa - massage - or something cool like that or just sit around the poool and read. Happy cruising! :)

The port stops on the MR are just fine. A trip through many parts of L.A. would be my concern, much more so than MR. We did the MR on the Star last year and really enjoyed it. Everyone around the cruise ship activities will go out of their way to insure you have a safe time...and a nice time.

I am glad you talked some sense into them.

But, have to add a comment about some people in general. It apparently does NOT apply to the OP.

I really get tired of people making big ASSUMPTIONS and taking factual information totally out of context. It is sign of real lack of intelligence. People hear small pieces of information and make totally irrational decisions.

The number of examples are endless, but not worth the time.

Go and enjoy the cruise, it's vacation time.

As for "people making big ASSUMPTIONS and taking factual information totally out of context. It is sign of real lack of intelligence"

if you don't like what people post, don't respond to them.

This is a open forum not a work place, whatever.

But, have to add a comment about some people in general. It apparently does NOT apply to the OP.

I really get tired of people making big ASSUMPTIONS and taking factual information totally out of context. It is sign of real lack of intelligence. People hear small pieces of information and make totally irrational decisions.

I totally agree with you.

Enjoy

Not sure what that was about...................................

I am so happy you talked to them and are going on the Star!!!!! You will love this itinerary and the ship! Happy birthday to your Mom!!!!!!

Not sure what that was about...................................

more detail:

Just because one part of Mexico has a problem, some folks assume the entire country is a problem.

Would be the same as - never go to Tennessee, cause they had a shooting at a post office.

Or never send your child to college in America, cause some guy went nuts at Univ Of Va.

Or never visit America cause they have riots in the streets (pick your city or place)

Or never visit America because people in cars speed away from cops chasing them and kill everyone around them.

Okay, maybe not the best examples, but visiting the places in Mexico where the ships visit is not dangerous.

more detail:

Just because one part of Mexico has a problem, some folks assume the entire country is a problem.

Would be the same as - never go to Tennessee, cause they had a shooting at a post office.

Or never send your child to college in America, cause some guy went nuts at Univ Of Va.

Or never visit America cause they have riots in the streets (pick your city or place)

Or never visit America because people in cars speed away from cops chasing them and kill everyone around them.

Okay, maybe not the best examples, but visiting the places in Mexico where the ships visit is not dangerous.

Thank you for the clarity. I was not sure what you were referring to! I do agree with you also. I would go to Mexico on a cruise in a heartbeat....................well probably anywhere on a cruise. The stories about Mexico would not sway me!

Archived