Liverpool turnrounds

Popsey Wopsey

The Liverpool Daily Post is running a petition ,named" get on board."To bring Liner turn rounds to the Pier Head.

If you want to start and end your cruise in Liverpool, please sign the online petition.

Fred Olsen has promised to triple the ships running out of Liverpool if it succeeds

liverpooldailypost.co.uk .

:)

Well, I'll go and sign it, but I don't believe petitions ever change anything.

We're off from Liverpool in 2 weeks time - but sadly our itinerary has been changed at the last minute and we'll be returning to Southampton. YUK. Not looking forward to that long journey home again.

:(

£100 pp onboard credit for the inconvenience. To be honest I'd rather have paid them an extra £200 and NOT have to travel all day on the motorways. The only reason we booked this particular cruise was that it started and finished in Liverpool.

Still, nothing we can do about it. C'est la vie. And it'll be another new experience, never been away at Christmas before.

:)

Does this apply to all L/pool departures ?

We're booked on Boudicca at Easter and we're supposed to be sailing in and out of L/pool,

How can I find out ?

As far as I know, it's just this cruise that's affected at the moment. They gave 2 reasons for the change - as follows:- (quotes from our letter)

"Our recent experiences operating the ship from Liverpool have shown the risk of winter operations being seriously affected by weather conditions. With the Langton Dock having only limited access timings via the lock, we have been obliged to change ports on a couple of occasions.

On the 4th January 2011 we face a late docking in Liverpool, which in turn affects the onward voyage. Boudicca has a critical dry-dock following, involving the essential fitting of new covered lifeboats. In order to avoid risking losing our dry-dock entry in Hamburg, we will have to alter the 4th January homecoming arrangements."

So, in other words, it'll be easier for them to get to Hamburg from Southampton, rather than having to take us all the way up the west coast to Liverpool and then all the way back again with an empty ship. Call me cynical if you wish, but I think the winter weather and the tidal lock entry are weak excuses for the change of port. Just think of the fuel they'll save too!

If you're still anxious, I suggest a phone call to Fred's offices in Ipswich will give you an answer. (Though it may not be a correct answer, as I called them less than 2 weeks ago to check what time we would be docking in Liverpool so that I could arrange taxi to collect us, and was given no hint that we might end up at Southampton.)

Archived