Dawn with young kids?

rjm11

I am booked on the Dawn in March with two young children... ages 5 and 3. We are doing the 9 day Southern Caribbean itinerary. Any suggestions about activities, dining, or entertainment choices that worked well for your young kids? Any places on the ship we should check out? We took them on the Pearl last summer and had so much fun, we booked this one too.... but I realize the ships are a little different.

Also interested in shore excursions you enjoyed/didn't enjoy with kids... I am hoping to take the submarine in Barbados, and pretty much beach days everywhere else, but am open for suggestions.

thanks!

just got back on nov 28 -dec3 on dawn this cruise had less kids than all the cruises that we been on, the game room was empty, t-rex pool in the back was not full at all. they also had a buffet area in the garden cafe for the kids only (lower buffet serving counter).

I am not a kid, but a kid at heart. Here is what i noticed, and would have liked as a kid.

They had an awesome arcade, lots of cool games in there. The T-Rex pool had a great slide, and water cannons to shoot at your friends/parents. There was an ice cream bar by the pool, and soft serve sundae machine in the Garden Cafe (but only butterscotch topping, no chocolate syrup :mad:) There was also a game room with lots of tables. You could take out a board game or deck of cards from the library, and them play them in the game room with family and friends (Deck 12, FWD Starboard) There is always a magician show one night in the Main Theater, and sometimes they need volunteers under the age of 12. Just sit in the first few rows, near an aisle. That is where he picked most of the kids from.

I am not a kid, but a kid at heart. Here is what i noticed, and would have liked as a kid.

They had an awesome arcade, lots of cool games in there. The T-Rex pool had a great slide, and water cannons to shoot at your friends/parents. There was an ice cream bar by the pool, and soft serve sundae machine in the Garden Cafe (but only butterscotch topping, no chocolate syrup :mad:) There was also a game room with lots of tables. You could take out a board game or deck of cards from the library, and them play them in the game room with family and friends (Deck 12, FWD Starboard) There is always a magician show one night in the Main Theater, and sometimes they need volunteers under the age of 12. Just sit in the first few rows, near an aisle. That is where he picked most of the kids from.

great tips, thanks! keep em coming!

The other thing since you mentioned you are thinking about the submarine, I'm not sure if you are looking at the one that just goes a little under the water or the one that fully submerges.

The reason I bring it up in case you haven't already checked, I know from taking the Nautilus submarine in Hawaii (the one that goes fully underwater - they have these in various ports around the world), there are minimum size requirements so our son could not go but our daughter could. I believe it was due to the ability to be able to navigate the stair rungs down into the submarine.

As far as the kids clubs on NCL, our kids have always (sometimes after a little prodding) gone to the clubs and have had a fun time.

Another vote for the T-rex kids pool area in the back of the ship... the 3 year old we were with enjoyed it immensely. Note: go thru the port side of the ship to access it, you can't get to it directly from the starboard side.

Archived