Article: Cruise Prices Keep Rising, But Travelers Still Buying

Yep...

They say the economy is weak...But I can't see how..

At least in the Houston area..Unemployement is fairly low,the housing market is booming,and while a lot of dealers are still offering 0% financing,car sells are strong.Restaurants are packed every night.

I have friends from every rung on the financial ladder..but it seems everyone,regardless of income,is spending spending spending.Most have new,if not brand new within 2 Years old,homes.Everyone has new big gas guslin SUV's.

And all travel several times a year.

Price of a sailing on the Rhapsody out of Gal,is about 50 pp more than on the Mariner,same sailing.

Read an article in the USA today,last week about un-employement..

Maybe its different where you all are from.But here...People are spending,and spending well.

It's a mystery to me. Customers in my industry aren't buying, or are buying as little is they possibly can get away with, seeking out our loss-leader offerings exclusively, almost never buying a profitable service offering. Consequently, salaries are lower now than four years ago, and there is no sign of that changing anytime soon.

So while the economy may be good in some places, it is downright bad in others, so seems to be flat overall.

Given that, the fact that customers are vigorously gobbling up higher and higher cruise fares, for arguably less and less service, indicates that people value those services far in excess of what they've been charged in past years. For a variety of reasons, cruising is now perceived as an especially good bargain, even at higher fares.

Folks who expect, however, more quality or more service for higher fares are missing the point: The higher fares are attributable to higher demand -- to how much more customers value the services than they had previously, on the average.

Folks who expect, however, more quality or more service for higher fares are missing the point: The higher fares are attributable to higher demand -- to how much more customers value the services than they had previously, on the average.

Bicker,

Very well said. I wish more people would understand this!

Ok, what services am I missing out on for the higher prices on Rccl? And, are the higher prices compared to 1 year ago,5 10 ,25?

Our first cruise was our honeymoon in 1986. We sailed in the Eastern Caribbean for seven days on Norwegian Cruise Lines' "Southward" which they got rid of maybe 10 years ago. It was a small room on a small ship and the service and food did not compare at all to what you get today on RCCL or Celebrity. For an inside cabin in 1986, we paid $995 each. A year or so ago, we paid $399 each for a similar room on the Nordic Empress, and at Thanksgiving of 2003, we paid $650 and got an outside room on Celebrity's Summit ( a ship the same size as the Brilliance, Jewel, and Radiance). Prices still have quite a ways to go to equal what they were 20 years ago.

Allen

My first sailing 1982..Starward.1499 pp (including airfare from Hou) first 2 people,799 3rd. It was a group charter,Airfare was minimal.This also,was an inside tiny tiny room.Soda was free,lots of food all day,and by the pool.Extravagant midnight buffets everynight.

Small ship,very few ammenities,ok room steward,awesome DR service.

Oil prices went from about 14 dollars a barrell,to 35 in 81...So..Well,all you economic majors can figure all that out.

It has been a great value for the past 3 years,at least for my budget.Not looking good for the next season.I am glad I am already paid for Oct,05.

Allen, just what I thought right down the line. Our first cruise in 83 on Song of Norway was the same. Paid around 2000$ for an inside on the very first deck they had cabins. Dec. this year we have the Jewel booked,d1 on deck 10 with c&a discount it only cost 1989$. Back then the food was mass produced for 500 to 700 and now it is 1800 to 3500 and in our humble judgement they do a good job. They even provide more services now than they did then and the prices are less.

Our first cruise was our honeymoon in 1986. We sailed in the Eastern Caribbean for seven days on Norwegian Cruise Lines' "Southward" which they got rid of maybe 10 years ago. It was a small room on a small ship and the service and food did not compare at all to what you get today on RCCL or Celebrity. For an inside cabin in 1986' date=' we paid $995 each. A year or so ago, we paid $399 each for a similar room on the Nordic Empress, and at Thanksgiving of 2003, we paid $650 and got an outside room on Celebrity's Summit ( a ship the same size as the Brilliance, Jewel, and Radiance). Prices still have quite a ways to go to equal what they were 20 years ago.

Allen[/quote']

Not to argue because I do agree with you, Allen, but we seem to pay more every cruise we take. We keep getting better cabins/suites in better locations. Twenty years ago such rooms would have been more than I wanted to pay.

Our first cruise, which all others have been compared to, was on the SS Norway in 1980 and our inside cabin with two bunks cost $1,600 for the two of us. However, this included non-stop flights BDL-MIA-BDL and transfers. We thought this was pretty reasonable.

In seven cruises on the SS Norway we found the food very good with excellent steaks available every night. Service was about the same as you get today.

Bob

Archived