What to do in Grenada?

cruisingforsix

Hi , we will be in Grenada in Jan. and are not sure what to do. we love to snorkel but have heard that the snorkeling is not the best. not really interested in a spice factory tour. any thing else to do on the island. i see they have a new "train" ride , not really sure what that would be like. their website doesn't offer a lot of information. Should we just hire a taxi to do a tour of the island?

The Discovery Train is brand new to the island and is very cute. It offers you a great little tour around the town and includes the cost of the entrance to the fort and the museum. It leaves every hour ont he hour fromt he cruise ship terminal

You can get off and mooch about and then get back on the next one. So spend the morning on that seeing the town and then head for the beach to swim and/or relax.

You mention snorkeling and I wasn't sure if you knw we had the world's first underwater sculpture park. It is doing what it is supposed to as a living reef and so they aren't as striking as when they first went down but worth a visit. Combine it with the seafaris eco-tour to bone up on the history, geography, ecology etc of the island on a fast powerboat tour and that's set the whole day up for you. Or take a slower ride on one of the catamarans or kayaks.

Oh and then buy the yummy yummy chocolate before you leave

The Discovery Train is brand new to the island and is very cute. It offers you a great little tour around the town and includes the cost of the entrance to the fort and the museum. It leaves every hour ont he hour fromt he cruise ship terminal

You can get off and mooch about and then get back on the next one. So spend the morning on that seeing the town and then head for the beach to swim and/or relax.

You mention snorkeling and I wasn't sure if you knw we had the world's first underwater sculpture park. It is doing what it is supposed to as a living reef and so they aren't as striking as when they first went down but worth a visit. Combine it with the seafaris eco-tour to bone up on the history, geography, ecology etc of the island on a fast powerboat tour and that's set the whole day up for you. Or take a slower ride on one of the catamarans or kayaks.

Oh and then buy the yummy yummy chocolate before you leave

Thanks for all your help. we have been looking at seafaris but not sure about the snorkeling, the underwater sculpture park is very interesting , i have been looking at the pictures of it. How is the snorkeling in Grenada? Please tell me where we can get chocolate, that is definitely one of my favorites.

Maybe this will give you some ideas

I hope you have a great day there, it's a lovely island.

Tony

Thanks Tony, Interesting video , i think we will have alot to do on the island. i will be happy drinking rum and coconut water and eating chocolate, with maybe a snorkel trip in between.

Thanks Tony, Interesting video , i think we will have alot to do on the island. i will be happy drinking rum and coconut water and eating chocolate, with maybe a snorkel trip in between.

This sounds like my kind of plan ! Make sure the rum is better than the stuff I brought home, which was 75% proof and is probably a fire hazard in my house :)

Chocolate - most of the stores will have it - assuming I haven't been there forst of course ;)

Snorkeling - recently it has been just horrible on the water and that's not just the snorkleing. The island has had horrendous swells coming in which have made the catamarans not at all fun and the snorkleing visibility pretty poor. The good news is that this now seems to have decreased and the last few days have been excellent snorkeling and boat tours.

• 1 month later...
Hopefully the swells aren't as bad as the ones the cruise ship in Antarctica encountered. We will have plenty to do in Grenada. Thanks for all your help. 75% rum sounds interesting, i'll have to get some of that

I tell you this season has been just amazing. everyone says they can't ever remember the swells lasting for so long. However visibility is good, the water is going blue which means we aren't getting any Orinoco flow (humming enya song now :rolleyes:) which can mess with the vis. All in all it's looking really rather good!!

Cant remember if I said but we have a rum called Jack Iron where the ice cubes sink!!

• 1 month later...

I went snorkeling on Feb 4 with Native Spirit Scuba. I have to say, I was pretty seasick all day, due to the swells, and even when I jumped in the water, I didn't feel better, which has never happened before. But, only 2 of about 15 of us got sick, and the snorkeling part was fun, even if visibility was not great. We did swim into the entrance of a Bat cave, so it's nice to finally know it's location:D

Native Spirit did a good job, no fault to them, just weather, visability issues.

I bought whole nutmeg and pure almond extract at the open air market where the ship docked. You can negiotiate the price, so don't go with the first price offered. Also beware that they had a lot of "Essence" products (Vanilla, Almond, etc.) and you can be fooled into not getting extract which is what you want and need for cooking, so read labels! Essence is much cheaper than extract and has other ingredients besides the pure spice.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
We'll be in Grenada in Dec 2011, and looking forward to it! DW and I love sports, and were wondering if Cricket will be in full-swing in early December? We'd love to catch a match. Opinions?

What cruise are you on? We will be there in December as well!!! 4-11th on Princess Caribbean - DYING to see Bonaire!!!!

Archived