"big change in Belize"

wadethegringo

We were in Belize City a week ago. We did not stay long but I went for a stroll to the swing bridge and back. There were lots of vendors on both sides of the street between the tourist village and the swing bridge. To many for an unencumbered walk in my opinion. I stopped and talked to at least 4 of the ones that approached me. They were very friendly and certainly not threatening in any way, just to many. Most were hawking taxi rides or "friendly" guide service that of course would require some " cheese" as one put it. On the day I was there I saw others out exploring as well but the numbers of vendors swamped those that ventured into town on foot, and 4 ships were in port that day. It is a shame, but maybe as time progresses they will be able to get the ship passengers into town similar to Cozumel or Grand Cayman but they have lots of work to do before that can happen. On a positive note, my DS and DIL went SCUBA diving and rated it second to their Fiji experience and ahead of all others. They had a great time.

We were at Bannister over Christmas on a snorkeling excursion through Island Marketing. So the island was not "closed" with 6 cruise ships in port and over half of them Carnival ships. Although we enjoyed our excursion, we were not overly impressed with Bannister Beach as a whole. (I guess we have been spoiled by Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.)

That said, our best snorkel trips have always been in Belize! We have also gone Cavetubing (with dot com folks) several times and that is always a great day. Once and only once did we go the Bacab Eco Park for horseback riding. We felt we were held captive for most of the day and overall, the excursion was not quite as described. We won't go back there.

MDROBTX: we are also interested in your San Pedro day. We are looking for a really nice beach area with snorkeling available, food and beverage service that won't cost you a fortune...

Goff's Cay looks beautiful but limited. Bannister Island just didn't quite cut it. Caye Caulker? San Pedro?

More information?

I've only been to Belize once (stopping there again this year) and we went snorkeling/day trip to Caye Caulker. It was a wonderful day. I'm surprised at the number of people who just stay in the pier area or don't even get off the ship. Now, I've never "been" to Belize City or outside the gated pier area - got off the tender, found our excursion; when we got back, we had about an hour to pick up some t-shirts and then tendered back. My point is, I don't understand how you can be in such a beautiful place - and not experience it. My dad is saying he may just stay on the ship in Grand Cayman - are you kidding me? Hopefully not, since we booked him an excursion for Sting Ray City. I want to see and do stuff, but that's just me.

We have never been to Belize and were very excited until reading some of the posts about the safety of Belize. We are booked on Jungle, River, Land Rover and Cave Expedition through RCL. Are we safe taking that excursion or should we consider canceling?

I have never been to Belize but due to an itinerary change we will be there next Jan. on Carnival.

When we went to Columbia last year we were warned to not even leave the ship. Well, it was a place i really wanted to see and we booked a great tour and it was the most incredible architecture that i had ever seen [ in my limited experience] and I was so glad I didn't listen.

So, I will book a ships tour and get out there in Belize and see what this country really looks like, out of the city away from the hawking vendors.

To really see a country you need to get away from the port area and out into the country. I will do my homework and be prepared to have a great experience.

I thank eveyone for all your help and valuable info on this port.

Kis

For years I would NOT go out the gates to the street. This year at Xmas, we did. They were agressive, yes, but did accept the word no. Did we find much better local stuff? Well of course. I would not hesitate to go back out there, but no need to stray much further. My favorite line from one of the vendors was "Buy beliezean here and not Chinese inside." So true. It was well worth the little stroll.

Sad to see that the new Cruise port is grounded. This is what is needed. A newer and much better port area. Such a shame.

• 4 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents worth, but we dont mind wandering outside the gates. Yes, the locals can be "pushy", but a polite "no" usually works. These guys are just trying to make a living, and of the ones ive actually spoken to, they'll bend over backwards to help you.

Here's the thing... as much as I love Belize, there really isint much to Belize City anyhow. I dont know if i'd just wander the streets with no specific agenda in mind. Its not that type of city. But if you're going outside the gates to go somewhere specific(i.e the water taxi), its no big deal. Actually the last time we went, there were a few guys outside the gates, but once you got 100 feet past the gate, we didnt encounter anyone but the kids walking to school.

I've been to Belize 8 times, and have never felt unsafe outside the gates. Annoyed at times? Perhaps, but most of these folks are just looking to make a few dollars for the day. Think about it..... if you lived in poverty and saw rich tourists walking past you, wouldnt you try and do anything you could to earn a buck?

Stop and talk to some of them. Ask them about their city and they'll be happy to talk. We've heard some great stories over the years. I'd much rather hang with the locals that spend my money in the sanitized, culture-less port shopping areas. Take a chance and experience some culture.

they fact that their's a gate there in the first place just makes it seem shady. like what are they protecting us from? there is no gate in cozumel....i just dont really get what they are trying to accomplish with the gate anyway if things are so safe.

There is a gate like that in Puerto Vallarta. It was not a bad area but there was the gate. Don't recall one at any other Mexican Reviera port.

Archived