GCT - Port or Starboard Room

bobinaustin

We're on the M/S River Melody going from Antwerb to Basel in 2011. Which side of the ship is better in that when the ship docks the cabin faces "out" into the river rather than onshore. I realize that this depends on where the ship docks but in general what's preferable. For example, when we did the Danube going upstream the starboard side was better but when we were on the Duoro the port side was better. Decisions, decisions ....

We're on the M/S River Melody going from Antwerb to Basel in 2011. Which side of the ship is better in that when the ship docks the cabin faces "out" into the river rather than onshore. I realize that this depends on where the ship docks but in general what's preferable. For example, when we did the Danube going upstream the starboard side was better but when we were on the Duoro the port side was better. Decisions, decisions ....

We did the same trip only in reverse, Basel to Antwerp. In most ports we docked starboard side to the pier. Assuming they use the same docking points then for your cruise the port side would be facing the dock. For us it really doesn't matter as we spend very little time in our cabin. While in port we are either in the town or sitting on the sun deck. And while cruising, it really doesn't matter.

Cheers,

We were on this same boat in March 2010, going Basel to Antwerp. We were on the starboard side and saw "The Wall" almost every docking. We were one level up from the lowest floor.

Also we were under/near the gangplank and saw nothing out of our window and the room was very noisy because of the gangplank.

Also, we went in March and it was FREEZING, so we were unable to use the sun deck very much. We were either in the lounge or in our room when not touring.

I've been on this trip twice and the ship always docked with it's bow facing into the current (up river) so the port side was always facing the river. I traveled in June and July and we never had a ship next to us.

Are all the ports on the same side of the river?

Archived