Tux or not to tux...

Are tuxedos a thing of the past? I do not want to be the only person at the table in a tuxedo - with perhaps my neighbor in jeans and a shirt - as I then feel horribly overdressed (even if I was dressed properly).

You can't change how you feel but really when it's specified as "formal" the bipedal hominid in the jeans & shirt is the one who should feel out of place.

Disclaimer - On a cruise to Bermuda I've been known to do the entire "Bermuda kit". The socks, pink shorts..........................give you an idea how much I care what others think :D

I expected more "just wear jeans and flip-flops and you'll be fine" so this has been refreshing.
You might be misunderstanding where the trend is headed. It isn't towards encouraging people to dress down. It's toward encouraging people to wear what they feel is appropriate, without worring about how other people want them to dress.

You might be misunderstanding where the trend is headed. It isn't towards encouraging people to dress down. It's toward encouraging people to wear what they feel is appropriate, without worring about how other people want them to dress.

Well said.

For those who wish to wear a tux, go for it.

For those of us who don't, it is our choice.

While all of our cruises have been on Carnival, (upcoming Oasis next year-YAY!!:):)), I can say that I have seen lots of men wearing their tux on formal night. DH and I also always dress up for dinner because that's what we like to do. He doesn't have a tux, but he does wear a nice suit and I always have very dressy outfits. On other nights, we still dress up, but DH usually doesn't wear a jacket.

So, my vote is for the tux as well!

Carnival (our last cruise anyway) does not enforce the dress code, not even on formal night. On our cruise this year, we saw men in the MDR on formal night, wearing jeans.....yes, jeans....nothing was said to them. (They were sitting right beside our table).

Archived