FOS vs. Ruby Princess - January cruise

Hello!

I am debating on whther to book a cruise for January on the Freedom of the Seas or the Ruby Princess.

It would be for me (32) and boyfriend (35). We want to relax and have fun - not too crazy - but not too quiet either.

We most likely will not ice skate or rock climb, but the Flowrider intrigues me.

We want to lounge by the pool, read, nap, watch a movie outdoors (can you do that on the FOS - I can't figure that out...

We are active - but don't want to feel overwhelmed. This is his first cruise - my second. My first was about 3 years ago on Enchantment.

Help please! Which should we pick?

In January I would rather cruise out of Fort Lauderdale(Ruby) than Port Canaveral (FOS). We sailed out of Port Canaveral last February and it was cold, FLL has a better chance of warmer weather for embark and debark.

Other than that I like both ships. You are likley to have similar crowds on both, probably more families on FOS.

Beth

No outside movie screen on Freedom...yet. That will be added during dry dock. So if you want that amenity, you'll have to book Princess. But if you are planning to book a balcony cabin, RCI's are much larger than Princess's. A Princess mini-suite is about the size of a D catagory balcony on RCI. There is no sitting area in Princess balcony cabins. However, on the Carib deck the balconies are huge, so that sort of makes up for the small cabin.

We were on Crown Princess (sistership of Ruby Princess) last winter and loved this ship.We enjoyed "Movies Under The Stars" almost every night.The Ruby also has an inside movie theater if that's what you're into.As you mentioned, Freedom has a Flowrider and a great Promenade.You can't go wrong with either ship (very similar cruising experience).If Freedom stops in Labadee I would lean towards this cruise.

In January I would rather cruise out of Fort Lauderdale(Ruby) than Port Canaveral (FOS). We sailed out of Port Canaveral last February and it was cold, FLL has a better chance of warmer weather for embark and debark.

Other than that I like both ships. You are likley to have similar crowds on both, probably more families on FOS.

Beth

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral in Jan sounds like it will be cold? When does it start to warm up? Our first stop is Cococay, will it be warm there?

We are sailing out of Port Canaveral in Jan sounds like it will be cold? When does it start to warm up? Our first stop is Cococay, will it be warm there?

Cold weather isn't garaunteed, but a definate possibility. We stopped in Nassau last February when we sailed out of Port Canaveral, it was kind of chilly, maybe in the 60's. It all depends on your definition of warm. Being from Minnesota, we wear shorts when it's 60, while the Floridians are all bundled up.

Each year it's a bit different, last year was pretty chilly in mid to north Florida most of January. This year we are at Disney World the last week of January then cruising out of Tampa. I plan on keeping an eye on the weather when we get closer so that I know what I should pack.

Next week we are sailing on the Century out of Miami. Right now it looks like we will have high's of only about 70 for most of the cruise, which isn't HOT, but much warmer than the weather we are having up here.

Beth

Archived