Snorkling vs Excursion at Princess Cays

swifs

We are first-time Princess cruisers going to Princess Cays in January. We are trying to decide whether to take the snorkling excursion Princess offers at Princess Cays or just snorkle off the beach at the Cays. Any thoughts?

Also, is this a tender port? Would we need to rent a chair just to get a tender ticket to get off the ship early?

Princess Cays is a tender port - pax who left the ship early (shortly after arrival) used tender tix but this was not necessary for those who left at a more leisurely pace.

If you have your own snorkel equipment, you'll do fine on your own and eliminate the cost of snorkeling thru the ship.

Where abouts do you do it on your own snorkelling ?

Princess Cays is a tender port - pax who left the ship early (shortly after arrival) used tender tix but this was not necessary for those who left at a more leisurely pace.

If you have your own snorkel equipment, you'll do fine on your own and eliminate the cost of snorkeling thru the ship.

Where abouts do you do it on your own snorkelling ?

I've found that snorkeling from the beach at Princess Cays is really very good. No need to take an excursion.

I like the snorkeling just on the other side of the little pier (NOT the pier where the tenders dock). If you're standing on the beach, facing the ship, walk way down to the right, to where you'll see a pier with a lifeguard on it. Good snorkeling is in front of, and around to the far side of, that pier. I was last there in November 2009.

The only difference is there is a boat that takes you out a little bit for snorkling. If you have your own equipment - just go yourself. They provide a map showing you the good locations.

We were just there yesterday and it was cool - in the 70's. Not many ventured into the water but we did. It was warmer in the ocean than on land. It was still a good day. :)

We were there in November and had great snorkeling from the shore -- no need to take an excursion. We had our own equipment but I'm sure you can rent equiment on shore.

There are plenty of beach chairs provided free - some in the sun and some in the shade. We enjoyed Princess Cays very much.

Yes thank you for your recommendations. I guess that takes care of Princess Cays. In St Thomas I think we will do the Eco-Hike as I always like going over to St John and in St Maarten I think we will just take a taxi up to Orient Bay. I would have taken one of the excursions there but they all seem to leave in the afternoon and I would rather go first thing in the morning. Of course I could consider a private excursion but given that it is January and the water conditions may not be optimal, I may just wait until other time.

I've found that snorkeling from the beach at Princess Cays is really very good. No need to take an excursion.

I like the snorkeling just on the other side of the little pier (NOT the pier where the tenders dock). If you're standing on the beach, facing the ship, walk way down to the right, to where you'll see a pier with a lifeguard on it. Good snorkeling is in front of, and around to the far side of, that pier. I was last there in November 2009.

I second this. I found the snorkeling to be excellent on our visit in April. Please be aware of the coral and do not walk on it. There are signs to this effect but when we were there SO many people were illiterate or rude and chose to stomp all over the coral near shore :eek:

I saw tons of fish including a pair of cuttlefish which were interesting. I had the lowest expectations for Princess Cays and it turned our to be one of the best days of our cruise :p

• 2 years later...

We have been to Princess Cays many times but our last trip was in January. The water was way to cold for any of us to get in and we love the water. I would do the snorkel on my own in case the water is too cold for your comfort.

I've been there in the winter as well and have found that if you come from the northern states as I do, the water temperature is very tolerable! I am looking forward to going in February next winter to get some sun!

We will be there December 10th. What will the water temp be like then?

Thanks!

Princess Cays is directly EAST (not South) of Miami. Whatever the weather forecast and water temperatures are in Miami will be about the same for Princess Cays.

LuLu

~~~

A Rash Guard shirt is perfect for Eastern Caribbean's cool waters. It not only provide some warmth, but also helps with UV protection (my Body Glove is 50UVP). They deflect the little stingy guys, too.:)

They are designed for surf boarders so most are a tight fit. But loose fit, such as my Body Glove, is available. You'll find them in scuba shops and most sporting goods stores.

I've been there in the winter as well and have found that if you come from the northern states as I do, the water temperature is very tolerable! I am looking forward to going in February next winter to get some sun!

California too! Our water temps are so cold in California, I found Princess Cays a welcome change when we were there at the end of January 2012. No, it's not as warm as the southern Caribbean water temps, but I was fine to snorkel for a while in just my swimsuit.

Archived