Tell me about the Spirit

sesasheep

Ok, so we are 90% sure we are going to book the spirit in febuary. What do we need to know? what are some fun things to do in the ports. Any must dos while onboard?

Also, what is the embarkation like at that pier. Were used to NYC so not sure how it will work there.

Also, what is the earliest flight you would book after getting off. looking at 11:30 but that seems REALLY tight. any advice?

Ok, so we are 90% sure we are going to book the spirit in febuary. What do we need to know? what are some fun things to do in the ports. Any must dos while onboard?

Also, what is the embarkation like at that pier. Were used to NYC so not sure how it will work there.

Also, what is the earliest flight you would book after getting off. looking at 11:30 but that seems REALLY tight. any advice?

Almost every one of these questions has been answered within the last couple of weeks...why not browse the first few pages of threads, or search for some of these terms.

There's also a separate board for the ports.....

That'll get you answers quicker.

Hey sesasheep - We have tons of information on the first pages of our roll call. We've discussed ports, restaurants/things to do in NOLA, in our 1000 plus posts I don't think that we've left much out.

Are you a couple or are you traveling with children? Do you like active things? Ruins?

This will be our third trip on the Spirit and we just love it! In Costa Maya, Mahajual is hard to beat for a $6 cab fare. It's a beautiful beach with cheap beer, good seafood, and cheaper shopping than the Disney type area where the cruise ship docks.

In Roatan, we love to hire a cab for the day. Our traveling companions swear that the best dolphin experience is there (we haven't tried it.) I loved petting the wild iguanas at the iguana farm and Gio's restaurant is terrific with a lovely sea view patio. I also enjoyed the cameo factory - he has wonderful treasures in the back room.

In Belize we have done the river tour/Alta Ha, river tour/ Lamanaii, and cave tubing twice. This time we will opt for a walking tour with a large group of friends and just hanging around. All of the excursions that we have taken have been wonderful.

In Cozumel it is fun to walk around shopping or to take a cab for the day and go to the ocean side of the island. Playa Chen is my favorite spot to hang around over there. We've also done the Tulum tour, which is probably the most beautiful ruin that we've visited - it's right on the ocean - but it is a very very long trip. This time we are going to Nachi Cocum, which gets great reviews.

Try to schedule a couple of days in New Orleans. It's a vacation in itself!

Feel free to visit our roll call and ask any questions. We have several who have done this trip and these ports numerous times.

Happy travels!

Well, Sesasheep, it looks like you will be sailing the week after us! Make sure that you join your roll call - you'll get to meet New Mexico Nita, you lucky sheep! I've always wanted to meet her.

Give us a wave as we are being dragged off of the ship. I'll be the one kicking and screaming. We'll try to leave a little fun, dark beer. and martini makings onboard for you!

You are gonna have a great time!

DH & I were just on the Spirit less than a month ago. We had a 1:18 flight that Airtran mysteriously cancelled less than a month before our cruise. The only other alternatives were a 9:55 am or a 5:55 pm flight. DH and I decided to chance it with the 9:55 am flight. We got in line to get off the ship at 6:30 am. We were off the ship and in a taxi at 7:50 am and at the airport by 8:15 am. We had time for breakfast and still had to wait for our flight. We knew there was the possibility that we might miss our flight but we were willing to chance it. The late flight was nearly empty so we knew we could get on it if we missed the morning flight. Were we lucky--maybe but it can be done if you are willing to get off early and wait in line.

DH & I were just on the Spirit less than a month ago. We had a 1:18 flight that Airtran mysteriously cancelled less than a month before our cruise. The only other alternatives were a 9:55 am or a 5:55 pm flight. DH and I decided to chance it with the 9:55 am flight. We got in line to get off the ship at 6:30 am. We were off the ship and in a taxi at 7:50 am and at the airport by 8:15 am. We had time for breakfast and still had to wait for our flight. We knew there was the possibility that we might miss our flight but we were willing to chance it. The late flight was nearly empty so we knew we could get on it if we missed the morning flight. Were we lucky--maybe but it can be done if you are willing to get off early and wait in line.

Have sailed the Spirit out of New Orleans 3 times in past 3 years. Two times we had good disembarkation. One time was a nightmare.

We sailed during pro football season and the Saints were playing in town on the Sunday we disembarked. Mysteriously most of the customs agents called in sick. Only two showed up for work that morning.:rolleyes:

We had VIP disembarkation and were off the ship by about 9:30 a.m. We were sitting in the piano bar at Pat O'briens around 2:30 p.m. when a couple from our ship sat down beside us. They said they had just gotten off the ship.

Dianne

Have sailed the Spirit out of New Orleans 3 times in past 3 years. Two times we had good disembarkation. One time was a nightmare.

We sailed during pro football season and the Saints were playing in town on the Sunday we disembarked. Mysteriously most of the customs agents called in sick. Only two showed up for work that morning.:rolleyes:

We had VIP disembarkation and were off the ship by about 9:30 a.m. We were sitting in the piano bar at Pat O'briens around 2:30 p.m. when a couple from our ship sat down beside us. They said they had just gotten off the ship.

Dianne

so you remember that as well? It was awful. Luckily we had VIP debarkation (I can't remember why) and we were off at a reasonable hour, but I know several who were still waiting after noon.

How was you last weeks cruise?

Nita

so you remember that as well? It was awful. Luckily we had VIP debarkation (I can't remember why) and we were off at a reasonable hour, but I know several who were still waiting after noon.

How was you last weeks cruise?

Nita

You will be receiving a personal e-mail soon regarding last cruise. It was great!

On that late disembarkation cruise in NOLA, Gwynn & I were standing behind a long line of self assist cruisers and there was another long line of self assist others behind us. (Don't know why the line of self assist was behind us since they had been called down to disembark a good hour before VIP. Guess some people just don't process info in their brain as soon as others :eek:).

Any way, things were getting pretty heated there in line by a few pax who had early flights and were missing their flights due to the slow disembarkation. There were about 3 men I remember who were shouting some things I can't post here and trying to get more people enraged about the slowness of the situation.

A representative from the port came in to talk to the pax to tell us there was a problem with customs, never explaining the entire story about the situation. Wasn't until we got our luggage and walked up to the customs

lines that we discovered there were only 2, count that as two, customs lines open that day.

Have learned to never cruise out of NOLA when the Saints are playing in town.:D

Dianne

Dianne' date=' we will be sailing on the Spirit in May and have a number of hours to kill before flying home. What do you do with luggage if you want to hang out in the Quarter for a few hours?

PE

[/color']

Don't have an answer for you since we always fly out a day after our cruise. We try to squeeze out as much time in the French Quarter as we can.:D

No clue to which, if any, hotels offer a day pass for the day. There are some excursions you can take while you wait for your flight. Try looking into those.

Dianne

Dianne' date=' we will be sailing on the Spirit in May and have a number of hours to kill before flying home. What do you do with luggage if you want to hang out in the Quarter for a few hours?

PE

[/color']

Of course if you pack as light as possible and only take carry-on, you could just hang out in the French Quarter until it's time to head for the airport. Have seen some cruisers do that.

Dianne

Of course if you pack as light as possible and only take carry-on, you could just hang out in the French Quarter until it's time to head for the airport. Have seen some cruisers do that.

Dianne

I am going to check with the hotel we are using pre-cruise to see if they can help us out post-cruise.

PE

Dianne

There is no way my wife could pack that light, or her sister for that matter.

PE

There is no way my wife could pack that light' date=' or her sister for that matter.

PE

[/color']

No way I could pack that way either.

Have sailed out of NOLA 3 times so far and will sail out of there again on Jan. 30. We always book ourselves air the day before the cruise and the day afte the cruise because we love New Orleans that much.

We normally sail the Spirit during the week after Thanksgiving. This next cruise will be our first to sail in January. Looking forward to seeing the diffence in our cruises between late November and end of January.

Dianne

Best Western St. Christopher on Canal.

PE

I would contact them ASAP to see if they would store your luggage until time to depart to airport. They may do that for a minimal price or do it for free, according to the amount you are paying for your pre-cruise stay.

What time is your flight out of NOLA?

Dianne

I would contact them ASAP to see if they would store your luggage until time to depart to airport. They may do that for a minimal price or do it for free, according to the amount you are paying for your pre-cruise stay.

What time is your flight out of NOLA?

Dianne

I just got off the phone with the hotel and they said no problem. It is sort of smart on their part to offer a little service and get people to spend a little more money in town.

We fly out at about 5:30pm. We want to have a little late lunch at Acme Oyster and then saunter out to the airport.

Part of our pre-cruise planes are a little dinner at Red Fish and a little bar hopping and then breakfast at Brennan's before heading to the ship.

Good plan??????

PE

I just got off the phone with the hotel and they said no problem. It is sort of smart on their part to offer a little service and get people to spend a little more money in town.

We fly out at about 5:30pm. We want to have a little late lunch at Acme Oyster and then saunter out to the airport.

Part of our pre-cruise planes are a little dinner at Red Fish and a little bar hopping and then breakfast at Brennan's before heading to the ship.

Good plan??????

PE

Happy to hear that your pre-cruise hotel is on your side. Have found most of the hotels near the French Quarter are on your side when it comes to cruising out of NOLA.

I whole heartedly agree on Acme Oyster. We always look forward to eating at least 2 times at Acme, once pre-cruise and then again post-cruise. Got to love those Gulf oysters.:D

Have never eaten at Red Fish due to our love of Acme. Have tried Deanie's Seafood a couple of times and love it. Deanie's gives you so much food for the money that we have trouble eating all of it however.

For breakfast we always eat at Caf'e Fleur De Lis, 307 Chartres St. It's a small cafe with small prices for a big breakfast. A bell hop from the Marriott sent us there a few years ago. Great food at a nominal price. It's a Mom & Pop style restuarant and has never left us hungry.

if you are bar hopping the night before the cruise, don't miss the House of Blues during Happy Hour. Drinks are really cheap.

Any more info you need?

Dianne

Archived