Zuiderdam-Recent negative comments

Ferdinand69

As a first time HAL cruiser I'm getting nervous about some of the recent postings concerning Zuiderdam...Shabby furnishings, poor/slow service for meals, apparent under-staffing? Are these isolated incidents from hard-to-please people or a real concern?

Obviously it's too late to do anything about it but I'm curious if anyone has been on the Zuiderdam recently and had any positive comments?

We're booked on the Dec 23rd Panama Canal cruise and recently got up-graded from a VF to a VA on the Navigation deck near the bow. Is this a good upgrade?

Thanks for any feedback from some recent HAL cruisers.

I was just thinking about posting this same question after reading some of the negative posts on this board about the Zuiderdam. We are also first time HAL crusiers. It will be interesting to see replies back from those who have previously sailed on her. We also were upgraded, went from VA to a VB. First time we ever did a guaranty.

I would not let these few negative postings from a VERY small percentage of cruisers who are actual posting members here dissuade from a great experience. Thousands of people cruise on this ship every month and believe me, not matter how hard you try you are not going to please them all. People as a rule tend to complain far more than they compliment.

Get on board with a good attitude and all these little niggles will just fade away while you enjoy your vacation. :)

As a first time HAL cruiser I'm getting nervous about some of the recent postings concerning Zuiderdam...Shabby furnishings, poor/slow service for meals, apparent under-staffing? Are these isolated incidents from hard-to-please people or a real concern?

Obviously it's too late to do anything about it but I'm curious if anyone has been on the Zuiderdam recently and had any positive comments?

We're booked on the Dec 23rd Panama Canal cruise and recently got up-graded from a VF to a VA on the Navigation deck near the bow. Is this a good upgrade?

First ... Congrats on your upgrade!

Having taken two cruises on the Zuiderdam this year, June and last month, I can say we saw nothing that should concern you. We found none of the problems you mention.:) Room service timely and tasty:), room steward excellent, dining rooms - superb, furnishings - fine, I can go on and on.

Please don't let the words of a few cause you to stress. I know you will go and enjoy your cruise.:) If I could, I would board her again tomorrow.

I have sent photos taken of most all of the public rooms (last month) to Joanie for her site.

I was just thinking about posting this same question after reading some of the negative posts on this board about the Zuiderdam. We are also first time HAL crusiers. It will be interesting to see replies back from those who have previously sailed on her. We also were upgraded, went from VA to a VB. First time we ever did a guaranty.

Congrats on your upgrade too!:)

Thanks for the positive replies! We're generally easy to please and can overlook minor things like worn carpeting or a moderate delay in a food line BUT a 21/2 or 3 hour dinner (with a half hour between courses) or air conditioning that doesn't work is not what we signed up for.

We certainly will be going with a positive attitude and don't expect perfection but some of these postings are cause for a little concern, especially given our expectations, based on HAL's image as a first class operation

As a first time HAL cruiser I'm getting nervous about some of the recent postings concerning Zuiderdam...We're booked on the Dec 23rd Panama Canal cruise . . .

We are so looking forward to cruising during Christmas and New Years! Something we have never done before! Very excited and looking forward to trying a new line and ports!

Ferdinand69 and sunrise2, We're sailing for the first time during Christmas and New Years AND we're celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary.

We were on the Zuiderdam Feb 08 and did not encounter the problems that others have posted about. Don't know how much things have changed in almost three years.

We have a small and not too active roll call for this cruise and would love for you to join us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1260721

This is our 4th HAL cruise and our first effort to meet other CCers. Hope to meet you on board.

MaryAnn

We did the Panama Cruise last year, it was superb. There was nothing to fault with this ship other than needing sunglasses for some of the furnishings :rolleyes: it cant have deteriorated that much in a year. We would not hesitate to book her again and that's our decision having just returned from a back to back cruise with her newest sibling Neiuw Amsterdam.

While not being a real experienced cruiser having only taken 6 on three different lines, I have not found the perfect 5 star experience to date. There will always be something that rubs one the wrong way from time to time. Mr. Whipple knows what I am talking about.

In the essence of full disclosure, I will try to be as frank as possible. First, this was our honeymoon cruise (Nov 23-Dec 3) and we were in a SA suite (second best room you can be in besides the penthouse).

Service for the most part was fine, especially in the crows nest. Ronaldo and Michael who bar tend starting at 4pm to 11pm were AWESOME. Adam, the guitarist, who plays in the crows nest from 6-10pm was also great. Those 3 people made our cruise.

The ship it self looks much older than other ships I have been on, but that didn't bother me. Your veranda will have hard water stains on the windows and doors and it will look run down. People who say otherwise either didn't go out on their veranda or refuse to acknowledge that anything is wrong with HAL. I am not bashing HAL or the Zuiderdam, but if you look you will find things wrong.

The worst expereince we had was in the Pinnacle Grill where it took us 20 minutes to get our order taken, even after the mater'd told our waiter TWICE to take our order. We later complained to our personal concierge that we do get with our SA room, and they rectified the probelm. We felt like we were "under-treated" because of our young age.

We also ordered room service 3 different times for dinner. EVERY time the order was wrong. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things as neither of us are super picky, but the 3rd time we did it it took them THREE times to get the MOST of the order right, and we finally just gave up.

The service is for the most part excellent. I suggest trying to make friends with your local bartender or dining room steward. You will get far better service that way. Try to show you care about them as well.

We have sailed Zuidy 11 times, almost since she was born, and I have seen both rave reviews and remarks such as you have stated. Aside from the chronic floor disintegration on decks 6&7, I think most of these comments have been blown out of proportion. Any little spot or frayed material IS TOTALLY INSIGNIFICANT to the enjoyment of our cruise. I think you will enjoy the Zuiderdam as we did. A VA cabin is very nice, indeed, and you will enjoy your balcony as you transit the canal.

If Candy says it ain't so, believe her!! In my opinion, if Candy says something about the Zuiderdam, you can bank on it being the truth!!

Thanks Candy!!

I'll be on her in a few months and am not one bit worried about anything. I know whe will be 100% ok for me and I will enjoy her to the nth degree:)

Just one question for ya Candy. What floor problems on deck 7? We have SB 7142 and curious, BUT NOT WORRIED!!

Joanie

We have sailed Zuidy 11 times, almost since she was born, and I have seen both rave reviews and remarks such as you have stated. Aside from the chronic floor disintegration on decks 6&7, I think most of these comments have been blown out of proportion.

Huh!

What chronic floor disintegration is that? :eek:

Huh!

What chronic floor disintegration is that? :eek:

The decks are composed of carpet or wood, laid over concrete which is poured over the steel deckplating.

Within the first few years of service, Zuiderdam suffered from deteriorating concrete in certain key areas - This resulted in "holes" in the floor beneath the carpets which caused trip hazards.

This was not a structural issue by any means, nor was it a result of faulty construction - merely a failure of materials in that the concrete was not durable enough to deal with the stress of a flexing ship.

(This type of thing is not limited to ships - My apartment building has similar issues with the floors in our elevator lobbies.)

We just sailed the Zuiderdam and had a wonderful experience. We had an aft verandah which gave us a fantastic panoramic view. I also enjoy looking at the wake which can be quite mesmerizing.

Our cabin steward DaDang was the best, he anticipated our every need and took great care of us, always with efficiency and a smile.

The food was very good, in fact we had a meal in the Pinacle Grill that was one of the best I have had in a long time. On other cruise lines the buffet (Lido) food was usually just okay, but we found the food in the Lido not only tasty, but there was a very nice variety. We ate at Canelleto's one evening and the service was slow but we weren't in any big hurry so it wasn't a problem. My DH and I ordered room service every morning and the food always arrived on time and hot.

Every crew member we came in contact with was always friendly and polite. I will admit that some of the carpets could stand to be replaced but that didn't bother me or my experience. I absolutely loved this ship and the Panama Canal experience and would do it again in a heart beat. Can't wait to sail HAL again.

Melissyg

The decks are composed of carpet or wood, laid over concrete which is poured over the steel deckplating.

Within the first few years of service, Zuiderdam suffered from deteriorating concrete in certain key areas - This resulted in "holes" in the floor beneath the carpets which caused trip hazards.

This was not a structural issue by any means, nor was it a result of faulty construction - merely a failure of materials in that the concrete was not durable enough to deal with the stress of a flexing ship.

(This type of thing is not limited to ships - My apartment building has similar issues with the floors in our elevator lobbies.)

Brian,

Thanks for the clear explanation - that terminology [chronic floor disintegration] caught my attention!

We just sailed the Zuiderdam and had a wonderful experience. We had an aft verandah which gave us a fantastic panoramic view. I also enjoy looking at the wake which can be quite mesmerizing.

Our cabin steward DaDang was the best, he anticipated our every need and took great care of us, always with efficiency and a smile.

The food was very good, in fact we had a meal in the Pinacle Grill that was one of the best I have had in a long time. On other cruise lines the buffet (Lido) food was usually just okay, but we found the food in the Lido not only tasty, but there was a very nice variety. We ate at Canelleto's one evening and the service was slow but we weren't in any big hurry so it wasn't a problem. My DH and I ordered room service every morning and the food always arrived on time and hot.

Every crew member we came in contact with was always friendly and polite. I will admit that some of the carpets could stand to be replaced but that didn't bother me or my experience. I absolutely loved this ship and the Panama Canal experience and would do it again in a heart beat. Can't wait to sail HAL again.

Melissyg

Thanks so much for the positive comments. We are booked for a 22-nighter on the Zuiderdam, and I was beginning to worry!

Melissyg

We,too, had Dadang as our room steward. You are correct ... the best.

I was told during construction the concrete for these decks was mixed with salt water instead of fresh water, and lasted a couple of years before breaking down under stress.

What would Trump say? "You're fired!"

I was on the Zuiderdam last April and had a great cruise. My only complaint would be that the aft service elevators weren't working for the entire 10-day cruise so a couple of the aft passenger elevators were in constant use by room service or other staff needing to transport things (such as flower arrangements) either up or down. We had aft verandah cabins and this meant extremely slow elevator service as well as room service. A couple of times when I'd ordered breakfast before a tour, it never arrived although I quickly learned to ask for delivery an hour before I was leaving the ship. This was definitely an annoyance but it didn't ruin my cruise.

We have just returned from the Zuiderdam 23 November cruise, we did not notice shabby furnishing but were not impressed with the layout of the ship especially the atrium. The food service in the main dining room was slow on our first night but after that things improved, the food and presentation were excellent. The stateroom attendents and waiters were first class and overall the cruise was good. If you are looking for a fun ship HAL is not for you as the average age is much higher than other cruise lines. HAL have a happy hour with two for one drinks - great idea pity other cruise lines do not do the same. We enjoyed the digital workshops with Trevor, they were extremely popular. We were also on the Navigation deck but near the aft, we found this very convenient for the Lido restaurant and pool. Enjoy your cruise

PS we found our ponchos very useful in Panama

If you are looking for a fun ship HAL is not for you as the average age is much higher than other cruise lines. HAL have a happy hour with two for one drinks - great idea pity other cruise lines do not do the same.

I suspect that these two things go together - HAL can offer 2-fer drinks precisely because the average age of their passenger is older, therefore fewer of them are likely to view this as an opportunity to binge drink. The outcome would probably be quite different with a younger demographic.

Archived