Cost of wifi aboard the Mariner?

pmacher61

Can anyone tell me the cost of the various packages for wifi usage on the Mariner? Is the speed so slow as to make it a relatively expensive way to pass time?

( tried searching but the posts are all over the place.)

Internet packages available while on board any RCI ship...

New price as of April 10, 2010 is $.65 per minute

Pre-Paid Internet Packages:

$ 35 = 60 minutes or 58 cents a minute

$ 55 = 100 minutes or 55 cents a minute

$ 75 = 150 minutes or 50 cents a minute

$100 = 250 minutes or 40 cents a minute

$150 = 500 minutes or 30 cents a minute

Note: key words are "Internet Packages" when using the Search Function.;)

The speed can be described as not fast if you don't hit it at a busy time, but if everyone's trying to use it at the same time then it goes down to slower than a snail.

The advantage to using your own laptop is that you can read/work on emails off line and only have to log on to the internet to send/receive.

If you happen to have a smartphone through Verionwireless, you can switch to the global plan for the week and get unlimited data/emails. I used that with my Droid on the Mariner last month and tethered my netbook to the phone to get internet on the netbook. Got my bill and it cost me an addtional $8.17 for the cruise. I was uploading pictures (reduced size) to Facebook for my family back home. I would usually do it from the library because the phone signal was strong there and it was quiet. It would take ne about 45 minutes to upload 50-60 pictures. Not fast but cheap.

"We don't need no droids! I don't have to show you any stinkin' droids!"

Paraphrasing Alfonso Bedoyo to 'Fred C. Dobbs.'

Thanks for the information. Picture Jackie Gleason from the Honeymooners gesticulating with his hand moving laterally "over his head" denigratng Norton's ability to catch on.

Thank you cfever - would I be pushing my luck to ask about speed using a new laptop or should I be searching for "internet speed?"

I used wifi on my relatively new laptop (it was 9 months old) and it was much faster than using one of their computers, but that doesn't mean you'll be speeding :D. But I found the speed on my laptop to be very acceptable, thinking that you're in the middle of the ocean. It was on the Mariner, so yes, new laptop might help a lot

Cindy

If you happen to have a smartphone through Verionwireless, you can switch to the global plan for the week and get unlimited data/emails. I used that with my Droid on the Mariner last month and tethered my netbook to the phone to get internet on the netbook. Got my bill and it cost me an addtional $8.17 for the cruise. I was uploading pictures (reduced size) to Facebook for my family back home. I would usually do it from the library because the phone signal was strong there and it was quiet.

So that's all I have to do is switch my plan to global for the week. what about the usage of the ships satalite charges? I have an ill mother that I need to check on and I'm trying to figure to best way to do it.

Thank you fellow Droid lover

Gerri

Archived