Children and Cunard

Sikwemu

The subject of children and Cunard often comes up so for anybody wondering this is what we found.

On the QE Gallic Debut cruise we had 3 grandchildren (aged 8, 4 & 3) with us. Everywhere, and from everybody, the service and reception was outstanding. The Britannia had slightly misunderstood what the ages of the children were and had allocated a table with room for high chairs. A quick word before sailing and we were allocated to two tables of six slightly in the corner of the restaurant "so the young ones could play between the two if they wish". It was inspired seating as the 3 year old could bring his toy car and play quietly on the floor if sitting still got too much. That foresight isn't there if children aren't welcome!

The waiting staff went out of their way and even silver served the ketchup to the absolute delight of the two youngest. The eight year old had deep discussions every night with the waiter about what everything on the adult menu was and not once was their any hint of impatience.

All over the ship there was time made for them and a lot of the crew said that it was really nice to see children on board as so many thought Cunard didn't "do children".

The highlight of the trip: the three year old saw Captain Wells and, having previously had it explained to him who he was, asked him what it was like to drive the boat? The next day all three got an invitation to the bridge!

Cunard is fine for children as far as I'm concerned and as the 8 year old is already asking if it is okay to have money for Christmas and her birthday because she needs to go cruising again I think she agrees.

I suspect this is as much a reflection on you and the parents. I'm not surprised that the crew would go out of their way to help, but I don't think they could have created a good situation without your cooperation. A little bit of working together for a common purpose goes a long way.

I'm glad this cruise worked out so well for you.

Roy

The subject of children and Cunard often comes up so for anybody wondering this is what we found.

On the QE Gallic Debut cruise we had 3 grandchildren (aged 8, 4 & 3) with us. Everywhere, and from everybody, the service and reception was outstanding. The Britannia had slightly misunderstood what the ages of the children were and had allocated a table with room for high chairs. A quick word before sailing and we were allocated to two tables of six slightly in the corner of the restaurant "so the young ones could play between the two if they wish". It was inspired seating as the 3 year old could bring his toy car and play quietly on the floor if sitting still got too much. That foresight isn't there if children aren't welcome!

The waiting staff went out of their way and even silver served the ketchup to the absolute delight of the two youngest. The eight year old had deep discussions every night with the waiter about what everything on the adult menu was and not once was their any hint of impatience.

All over the ship there was time made for them and a lot of the crew said that it was really nice to see children on board as so many thought Cunard didn't "do children".

The highlight of the trip: the three year old saw Captain Wells and, having previously had it explained to him who he was, asked him what it was like to drive the boat? The next day all three got an invitation to the bridge!

Cunard is fine for children as far as I'm concerned and as the 8 year old is already asking if it is okay to have money for Christmas and her birthday because she needs to go cruising again I think she agrees.

Doesn't surprise me one bit. Well behaved children are welcomed on Cunarders. As has been said, this reflects well on your group as well as the crew.

But thanks for saying it - some positive comments are nice to have!

WD

• 2 weeks later...

I have complained on here about Cunard's policy on the QE with regard to the fact that one couple can only bring one child per cabin, unlike on the QM2 but I won't go into that here.

However, we went as a group of adults and children on the QM2 twice now and have nothing but praise for the staff. Not once did we have a problem with either staff or fellow guests. The children were treated with respect and the staff went out of their way to engage with them. The children loved it and still talk about it. We will undoubtedly take them all again.

Archived