Hole in the Rock cruise Bay of Islands

robinph

Is there anyone on CC that has done the Hole in the Rock dolphin cruise independent of the ship. I would like to book this,but am concerned at the timing. The morning tour leaves Phaia wharf at 9am, but the ships itenerary says we get there at 8am, does this mean we can start getting off at 8am, as it is a tender ride, then a coach ride up to the main wharf and we are worried that it dos'nt give us enough time to get there. The afternoon tour seems to cut things a bit fine too. Thanks Robin:confused:

If the ship arrives on time at 8am, usually the first tender would not go until 8.30am. If the ship arrives earlier then the first tender could be earlier. You could get on the first tender if you line up early and get the first tickets, then hope that the ship's tours don't go first. Add to that the time to actually get to shore in the tender.

Sorry to point out the difficulties. :)

Hi robinph. If you book a tour through your ship they will time it so you get there & back ok. If tour runs late the ship will wait. If your tour is not through the ship & you are late ,the ship will not wait for you. Suexxx

Is there anyone on CC that has done the Hole in the Rock dolphin cruise independent of the ship. I would like to book this,but am concerned at the timing. The morning tour leaves Phaia wharf at 9am, but the ships itenerary says we get there at 8am, does this mean we can start getting off at 8am, as it is a tender ride, then a coach ride up to the main wharf and we are worried that it dos'nt give us enough time to get there. The afternoon tour seems to cut things a bit fine too. Thanks Robin:confused:[/quote

when we did a land tour to NZ we did the hole in the rock cruise but if you want to do it you would have to do a ships tour as you wouldnt have enough time as its a tender port and they give preference to the tours

rkmw

Thanks everyone, these are all the difficulties that I have been weighing up, I have emailed the company a week ago but no response from them,and seeing the ships tour is $149 AUD compared to the companies $89NZD I think I will take my chances of trying to pick this up on the wharf as I did with the jet boat ride last year. Thanks anyway. Robin

You might also find that the tour times will vary from the usual when a ship is in town to accommodate them (and also more revenue for the operator with a full tour).

Linda

i doubt very much they would change their times as they would run to a timetable

Thanks everyone, these are all the difficulties that I have been weighing up, I have emailed the company a week ago but no response from them,and seeing the ships tour is $149 AUD compared to the companies $89NZD I think I will take my chances of trying to pick this up on the wharf as I did with the jet boat ride last year. Thanks anyway. Robin

if you can get on the first tender it would be good and the cruise goes at 9am

rkmw

i doubt very much they would change their times as they would run to a timetable

All I can go on is my cruise last month where we found lots of tour operators changing their schedule around to suit those off the cruise.

Linda

All I can go on is my cruise last month where we found lots of tour operators changing their schedule around to suit those off the cruise.

Linda

Linda thats ok but they run two services a day at 9am & 1.30pm and if they had a lot of people off the ship they may wait

rkmw

It just goes to show that saving a few dollars is just not worth the risk! Even if it is twice the price it's still worth booking through the ship if its something you don't want to miss out on. If you did book it privately and then missed out on it you are losing money anyway. Peace of mind is priceless when it comes to this sort of tour. If you aren't really keen on it then just take a chance that you might get a ticket when you get there. Otherwise I would definitely book through the ship as I have more than once seen people left behind because their privately booked tour didn't get back in time.:eek:

Archived