Fury or Sebago for morning snorkel trip

monicajay

Looking to do a morning snorkel trip and have found both Fury and Sebago. Anybody done either of these? Or, anybody have other suggestions?

I am also trying to figure out which one our cruise line (MSC) uses as we don't want to choose the same one. If you know which company MSC uses that would be helpful.

All of the boats usually go to roughly the same place at the reef. We like Sebago, but usually go with Sunny Days, which I think tends to take fewer people (but it may depend on the day). Sebago includes beer and wine, not Sunny Days, if that matters to you. I think Fury boats tend to be the most crowded.

That beautiful Sunny Days, two-masted catamaran is gone, the one that was the most beautiful ship in Key West - the Caribbean Spirit. Whatever else Sunny Days is running for snorkel trips, it won't be a sailboat.

The cruiseships will invariably use Fury since their boats are so close to the docks, but Sebago will almost always have fewer people on board. Both serve beer and wine on these trips, and you should check around for coupns for these trips.

Pjk

Sunny Days and one or two other, smaller boats, do a two-stop snorkel trip - stops at two places out at the reef and maybe into the Sanctuary. These are good if you want to max your time in the water, buut there is more cruisiing around from place to place and back. The Sebago trip with one stop, generally Sand Key if there is little wind, or Earstern Dry Rocks if there is, is a nice, casual sail out, snorkel, and sail back. You come back to Key West right between the Schooner Wharf Bar and the Conch Republic Seafood Co., in case you need a sit-down. And take a roadie with you form the boat.

Pjk

• 2 months later...

Wow, was I happy to have booked Sebago. Our ship arrived late and I stopped to ask someone directions, he gave them and we started to run. Kind stranger called them and said "4 runners from the ship on the way"

They held off and waited 5 minutes for us as we ran huffing and puffing down the street. The lines had already been pulled and we basically jumped and the boat departed.

Including our group of 4 there were only 12 passengers aboard and a crew of three. The reef they usually go to had man of war so the took us to another reef. Snorkeling was good (not great) but the trip overall was super.

The best part was when the Fury came into view we could see they had at least 100 passengers on a boat the same size.

Sassy our captain was entertaining and friendly and I would highly recommend this company. Book on line in advance to get the cheapest rate.

Now through early April Fury is offering 1/2 off for women on their trips which will save about $20.00 on a snorkel trip. That and the fact that you can walk virtually off the cruise ship and onto the snorkeling boat are the two advantages. But I think Sebago is a nicer trip and is almost always less crowded.

Pjk

Looking to do a morning snorkel trip and have found both Fury and Sebago. Anybody done either of these? Or, anybody have other suggestions?

I am also trying to figure out which one our cruise line (MSC) uses as we don't want to choose the same one. If you know which company MSC uses that would be helpful.

Both Sebago and Fury are excellent companies. I am a local and I know both of them well....which includes Captains, Mates, etc. Between the 2, I would go with Fury. I think their boats are a little nicer and are more convenient. Sebago would be a very close second.

The advantage to Sunny Days is they use power catamarans. This means you get to your locations faster and can spend more time in the water. However, that also means missing out on the quiet, relaxing sail to and forth the reef.

I can't speak for Sebago, and have heard nothing bad about them, but I've used Fury and had a wonderful time. We stayed in KW for a week last summer and used Fury for both parasailing and snorkeling.

When we parasailed there were no ships in port so it was a really great time. The day we snorkeled there were ships in port and they were very busy but we still had a great experience. It didn't feel over-crowded and the crew was spectacular! Their boats are also in really good shape.

Have fun! :D

Both Sebago and Fury are excellent companies. I am a local and I know both of them well....which includes Captains, Mates, etc. Between the 2, I would go with Fury. I think their boats are a little nicer and are more convenient. Sebago would be a very close second.

The advantage to Sunny Days is they use power catamarans. This means you get to your locations faster and can spend more time in the water. However, that also means missing out on the quiet, relaxing sail to and forth the reef.

Thanks as I have been pondering the Sebago Dolphin Encounter with snorkeling, sounds like fun

FWIW there are two ways to get into the water to snorkel on these boats; you can put on your mask and snorkel and "arse" your way down the ramp to the sea, step by step, usually putting your fins on at the bottom step. Or you can put on all of your equipment and simply step off the side of the boat, dropping maybe 6 - 8 feet into the water. The first way can take a lot of time if there are 60 - 70 people who cannot bring themselves to step off and drop. Getting back on board is usually not so bad since people will tend to snorkel for different amounts of time and there isn't usually a big back-up at the ramp. There is only one way to get back on the boat.

Pjk

FWIW there are two ways to get into the water to snorkel on these boats; you can put on your mask and snorkel and "arse" your way down the ramp to the sea, step by step, usually putting your fins on at the bottom step. Or you can put on all of your equipment and simply step off the side of the boat, dropping maybe 6 - 8 feet into the water. The first way can take a lot of time if there are 60 - 70 people who cannot bring themselves to step off and drop. Getting back on board is usually not so bad since people will tend to snorkel for different amounts of time and there isn't usually a big back-up at the ramp. There is only one way to get back on the boat.

Pjk

This is why we felt so lucky to be only 12 on our trip with Sebago. It was quick to get snorkeled up and in the water. We also got more than our share of the free beer on the way back in. Vive les Vacance with beer before noon!

Archived